KB973869

XP@discussions.microsoft.com Dan XP

Aug 12, 2009, 8:15:01 AM8/12/09
I just installed 13 microsoft updates this morning on a client computer. My
domain server runs WSUS and is Server 2003, so this is where the updates came
from. My problem is - KB973869 wants to keep installing itself. After
installing, 20 seconds later it pops up the yellow shield and wants to
install again. This is a neverending cycle. Has anyone else had any
problems with this? Any solutions?

tatnc1

Aug 12, 2009, 9:05:23 AM8/12/09

You are not alone. Having the same problem on one of my x64 2003
servers. Plus, none of the usual tricks have worked (install via
Windows Update site, download the hotfix & manually install, etc.).

Hopefully someone will figure this out shortly.

--
tatnc1
tatnc1's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/124202.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Charlie Russel - MVP

Aug 12, 2009, 9:22:30 AM8/12/09
Have you posted this over on the Windows Update newsgroup? That might be the
best place. I'd try: microsoft.public.windows.server.update_services.

So far I haven't run into this yet on my WSUS environment. But apparently
others have.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

"Dan XP" <Dan X...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

tatnc1

Aug 12, 2009, 9:50:34 AM8/12/09

FYI, I opened a call with MS. The issue appears to be that the file it
needs to update (wdhtmled.ocx) doesn't necessarily already exist on a
64-bit system. It puts it into the dll cache folder successfully, but
nowhere else. So the detection logic is looking for the updated file
but doesn't find it, and thus thinks the update is still needed. They
are researching the issue and I'll post an update when I hear back.

webwevers

Aug 12, 2009, 2:56:47 PM8/12/09

Having the same problem with a 2003 server 64-bit GIS server. Anyone
found out how to correct the install? Thanks

--
webwevers
webwevers's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/124311.htm

binx

Aug 12, 2009, 3:31:22 PM8/12/09

Got the same problem on my WinXP x64 system.

I found a log file under c:\windows\ with the "installation log" that
say alot of errors.

This is a part of that file:

[KB973869.log]

3.016:
3.016: 2009/08/12 09:08:52.734 (local)
3.016: c:\00b36c40900b03f272\update\update.exe (version 6.3.4.1)
3.016: Hotfix started with following command line:
3.016: In Function GetBuildType, line 1170, RegQueryValueEx failed with
error 0x2
6.156: In Function TestVolatileFlag, line 12013, RegOpenKeyEx failed
with error 0x2
6.156: In Function TestVolatileFlag, line 12045, RegOpenKeyEx failed
with error 0x2
6.156: DoInstallation: CleanPFR failed: 0x2
6.156: In Function GetBuildType, line 1170, RegQueryValueEx failed with
error 0x2
6.156: SetProductTypes: InfProductBuildType=BuildType.IP
6.188: SetAltOsLoaderPath: No section uses DirId 65701; done.
6.297: DoInstallation: FetchSourceURL for
c:\00b36c40900b03f272\update\update_SP2GDR.inf failed
6.297: CreateUninstall = 0,Directory = C:\WINDOWS\$NtUninstallKB973869$

6.297: LoadFileQueues: UpdSpGetSourceFileLocation for hal.dll failed:
0xe0000102
6.344: BuildCabinetManifest: update.url absent
6.344: Starting AnalyzeComponents
6.344: AnalyzePhaseZero used 0 ticks

--
binx
binx's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/124320.htm

jmathieu

Aug 13, 2009, 6:53:09 AM8/13/09

Hi, I have the same problem. Does anyone have a solution to solve it ?

--
jmathieu
jmathieu's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/124520.htm

Karmst

Aug 13, 2009, 8:20:11 AM8/13/09

Again,

This is Microsoft programmers not being thorough in their testing
before they push something out as a mandatory update. Whoever is in
charge of the Windows Update team should be replaced with someone who
knows how to get their Q&A team to do their jobs and quit creating more
problems because of poor programming.

Maybe they should just get this update off the windows update site and
fix it before trying to make us their test lab.

Why should I have to waste hour(s) of my time over the phone with the
MS support engineers, when they should have done it themselves in the
first place?

-Karmst

--
Karmst
Karmst's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/124551.htm

Bobby Johnson

Aug 13, 2009, 9:26:45 AM8/13/09
If this were a perfect world things like this wouldn't happen. The
programmers cannot conceive every possible configuration and they cannot
ensure that software is perfect when it's released. That's exactly why
they do have channels to report problems - no one is perfect!

webwevers

Aug 13, 2009, 1:34:53 PM8/13/09

Has anyone heard of a fix yet? Seems like they should be able to correct
the mistakes by now. Hope its soon.

--
webwevers
webwevers's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/124311.htm

Alex Matv

Aug 13, 2009, 9:33:38 PM8/13/09

Ansuman Pahari

Aug 14, 2009, 10:56:30 AM8/14/09

Bobby Johnson;4566903 Wrote:
> If this were a perfect world things like this wouldn't happen. The
> programmers cannot conceive every possible configuration and they
> cannot
> ensure that software is perfect when it's released. That's exactly
> why
> they do have channels to report problems - no one is perfect!

If they are charging big bucks for their sophisticated software, then
they should do the testing (getting a free service). Why should we do
the testing for them? In that case they should pay us back for each bug
we report.

--
Ansuman Pahari
Ansuman Pahari's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/124932.htm

Bobby Johnson

Aug 14, 2009, 12:15:27 PM8/14/09
Because, as I said before, it is humanly impossible for anyone to be
able to test any software for every conceivable configuration.

Software engineers are human beings and I am not aware of any human
being on this planet being perfect. Therefore since software is written
by imperfect human beings it is absolutely impossible to engineer
software that does not some glitch in it.

I presume your are not perfect. Or are you?

Ansuman Pahari

Aug 14, 2009, 12:46:54 PM8/14/09

Nothing Personal. I am not perfect and I pay the price for my mistake.
Hope you too. But this looks like an oversight. In that case, they
should stopped distributing the fix.

SonicBee777

Aug 14, 2009, 12:59:29 PM8/14/09

Those who say that it's OK to make these kinds of mistakes, that we're
only human... well, hospital nurses are human - would you then agree
that it's OK for hospital nurses to drop a certain percentage of babies
every year? Payroll clerks are human - is it OK for payroll to forget
to send you your paycheck or auto-deposit three or four times a year?
(Acknowledgements to Mr. Phil Crosby)

--
SonicBee777
SonicBee777's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/124964.htm

Bobby Johnson

Aug 14, 2009, 1:54:02 PM8/14/09
But not ALL customers are experiencing this problem, so how can you
classify it as unacceptable?

Bobby Johnson

Aug 14, 2009, 2:00:45 PM8/14/09
You're talking apples and oranges.

Software engineering is not infallible and there is no perfect software.

All software has bugs in it somewhere and under the right circumstances
they will make themselves know.

If you think you can do better, then why aren't you developing the fixes!

When we can all walk on water then the mistakes you note below will
cease to happen.

"Common sense is not so common."
� Voltaire

SonicBee777

Aug 14, 2009, 2:37:40 PM8/14/09

Sorry, I thought you were talking about humans. I am. But if you
really want to talk about fruit, perhaps we should move to another
forum? ;)

Bobby Johnson;4569099 Wrote:
> Because, as I said before, it is humanly impossible for anyone to be
> able to test any software for every conceivable configuration.
>
> Software engineers are human beings and I am not aware of any human
> being on this planet being perfect. Therefore since software is
> written
> by imperfect human beings it is absolutely impossible to engineer
> software that does not some glitch in it.

Stefan Pendl

Aug 14, 2009, 3:37:10 PM8/14/09
On Fri, 14 Aug 2009 13:54:02 -0400, Bobby Johnson <rjoh...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>But not ALL customers are experiencing this problem, so how can you
>classify it as unacceptable?

As stated before the problem only surfaces on x64 editions of Windows.

I too have noticed this problem, maintaining a couple of machines through WSUS, 32-bit is OK, 64-bit likes to install over again.

I will have the patience to wait for the fix to be available, may be I will disable deployment of the x64 version of this patch, so
users don't get annoyed.

---
Stefan Pendl

Windows Vista SP2
AMD Turion X2 RM-70 2 GHz
4 GB RAM

Nightrider

Aug 14, 2009, 3:46:15 PM8/14/09

Bobby Johnson;4569295 Wrote:
> Software engineering is not infallible and there is no perfect
> software.
>
> All software has bugs in it somewhere and under the right circumstances
> they will make themselves know.
I'm sorry Bobby. This is a problem that M$ should have caught. This
seems to be affecting everyone running 64-bit servers. We are talking
about a billion $$$ company that has an extensive testing staff that is
supposed to put this stuff through the hoops long before releasing it to
the public. M$ supports their 64-bit OSes and is developing updates for
them, so this is one of those that should have been easily caught if the
testers were truly doing their job...

I am a software developer who has to test my software on every platform
that I support. I can't test for every hardware variation, but I can
test the normal software layouts. If I supported XP 64-bit, I would
have to have an XP 64-bit PC setup to test it, which I do. If I release
software that doesn't work correctly on a platform that I support, it is
my fault and I would take full responsibility for missing the
problem...

In the case of this latest snafu, M$ should have easily caught this
long before it was released to the public. This is not one of those
issues that should have escaped the M$ Testing team. M$ has the
resources to extensively test this stuff without relying on its
customers to do the testing for it. M$ testers missed an easy to catch
problem once again. This is not the first time and probably won't be
the last...

.

--
Nightrider
Nightrider's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/125010.htm

Ansuman Pahari

Aug 14, 2009, 4:21:29 PM8/14/09

This is getting argumentative. I accept your point.

Thanks,
Ansuman

webwevers

Aug 14, 2009, 5:59:51 PM8/14/09

Hopefully M$ will release a patch soon. Getting tired of the notices.
Seems like it does install it just does not know it is installed. I will
wait for the fix.

--
webwevers
webwevers's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/124311.htm

Stefan Pendl

Aug 15, 2009, 4:18:09 AM8/15/09
On Thu, 13 Aug 2009 18:33:38 -0700 (PDT), Alex Matv <matv...@gmail.com> wrote:

Apparently the problem is fixed today by a new revision of the update, I have just checked my WSUS server and all x64 machines are
marked as installed and not as requiring updates ;-)

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Aug 15, 2009, 6:26:02 PM8/15/09
[Crosspost to Win64bit General]

Follow-up:

Re-offer reports confirmed for KB973869
<QP>
We have investigated reports that the KB973869 (MS09-037) update is
re-offered through Automatic Updates and Windows Update on some x64 systems,
after it has already been installed. We have identified some limited
scenarios where this is occurring with Windows Server 2003 x64, Windows XP
x64, and Windows Server 2003 for Itanium-based systems. No systems are
left unsecure due to this behavior. A revision to the update detection
logic will be published shortly to prevent this update from being re-offered
after it has been installed, and to ensure clients accurately describe the
updates' installed status. If you have installed this update, you do not
need to re-install the revision.

We apologize for this inconvenience,

The MU Team
</QP>
Source:
http://blogs.technet.com/wsus/archive/2009/08/14/re-offer-reports-confirmed-for-kb973869-ms09-037.aspx
--
~PA Bear
www.banthecheck.com

On 12 Aug-09, Howard wrote:
> I have Xp x64 and KB973869 will not install. I tried safemod and tried to
> manually install the update. The updates exits with out error or stating
> it
> is completed. Windows updates keep offering the update even after it says
> it has installed it. I tried system restore but the system will not
> restore
> before the last patch tuesday.

tatnc1

Aug 17, 2009, 7:55:58 AM8/17/09

Stefan Pendl;4570075 Wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Aug 2009 18:33:38 -0700 (PDT), Alex Matv <matv...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> [color=blue]Apparently the problem is fixed today by a new revision of

> the update, I have just checked my WSUS server and all x64 machines are
> marked as installed and not as requiring updates ;-)

Last thing I got was an e-mail from an engineer on the PSS Security
Team on Friday indicating they were working on it, and now this morning
I see that my x64 machines are also 100% up to date. They must have
pushed out a revision to the update with the correct detection logic.