Where did windows 7 forum go ????

TMA

May 5, 2010, 2:06:25 PM5/5/10
?????

Why doesn't M$ just create another room HERE for Windows 7 like they always
did to their new OS'es?

I don't know about you guys, but I'm TIRED of signing up to hundreds and
hundreds of badly designed web forums. Each one requiring my e-mail address
(for later spam) and different password rules.

Bobby Johnson

May 5, 2010, 2:14:56 PM5/5/10
May 5, 2010, 3:13:16 PM5/5/10

> Starting in early summer 2010, Microsoft will begin progressively closing
> down the Microsoft public newsgroups to enrich conversations in the
> rapidly-growing forum platform. This decision is in response to worldwide
> market trends and evolving customer needs.

Yeah, and how about letting the users decide which one to use in opposition
to dictate what worldwide market trends responds?
Why simply discontinue this useful tool and migrate all the effords to the
annoying web format?

> Microsoft continues to invest in forums to reduce customer effort,
> consolidate community venues and make it easier for active contributors to
> retain their influence. Forums provide a healthy community environment
> with less spam and make answers easier to find by customers and search
> engines. Additionally, forums offer a better user and off-topic
> management platform that will improve customer satisfaction by
> facilitating discussions in a clean space.

I don't know where you guys are looking .... "less spam" ????? Spam is all
over the web and publishing technical IT questions on "search engines" like
google and bing will attract even more spammers and viewers and consequently
off-topic issues. Newsgroup clients don't have commercial banners, don't
spread my email address all over the place, are pretty direct and mostly
used by people with "some" level of knowledge of what he's doing. And that's
why I like to use it instead of web forums and that's why M$ doesn't want me
to do so. That's my own opinion, but it pretty much makes sense, doesn't it?

> We are working diligently on providing additional resources and
> information in local languages later this week. In the meantime, please
> refer to the official Microsoft Newsgroup website
> http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/default.mspx concerning
> this issue. The Microsoft Newsgroup website will be made available in
> additional languages in the next few days.

M$ is a multinational company and its priorities are obviously focused on
the money making. I don't really have a problem with that, but I want to
protest against some of these decisions.

That's all a pity is all I can say. I consider this one sided decision as an
strategic mistake because all it does is to promote the growth of the
competitors (read Apple and Linux communities). Web based forums must exist,
of course, but there also should be options where your questions won't be
just mixed with 300 million others, and in my opinion THIS should be the
place. I am not familiar with Apple, but Linux is pretty easy with that as
they maintein public irc rooms where sometimes you can even talk to the
developers of the main modules/apps of their FREE releases. This couldn't be
any more efficient.

Jeff Gaines

May 5, 2010, 3:47:03 PM5/5/10
On 05/05/2010 in message <eTgGy2H...@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl> TMA wrote:

>Why doesn't M$ just create another room HERE for Windows 7 like they
>always did to their new OS'es?

MSFT doesn't like Usenet because it can't control it.

alt.windows7.general is an active group with nearly 16,000 posts. I guess
that will be the way to go for those of use who find Usenet far superior
to web based forums.

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
There are 3 types of people in this world. Those who can count, and those

Bobby Johnson

May 5, 2010, 3:58:40 PM5/5/10
I just passed on the information Microsoft posted. I have absolutely no
connection with Microsoft otherwise - I am not a Microsoft employee.
You may as well be pissing in the wind as to vent here - it ain't gonna
accomplish nuttin!

Jerry

May 5, 2010, 5:58:47 PM5/5/10
The Win7 forum has always been at:
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/w7itpro

"TMA" <t...@tmasoftwares.com> wrote in message

gumby

May 5, 2010, 6:20:57 PM5/5/10
On 05/05/2010 11:14 AM, Bobby Johnson wrote:
> [...]

Where will all the trolls go now?

Carlos

May 5, 2010, 7:28:01 PM5/5/10
Jeff,
I was "born" here, almost exactly 5 years ago, using the web interface.
Along time it's been my only NG/forum, and though I have occassionaly
flirted elsewhere, I always came back here.
This is where I am going to stay, this is "home".
Let's hope we are all here the day after.
:)
Carlos

"Jeff Gaines" wrote:

> .

James Kosin

May 5, 2010, 9:38:59 PM5/5/10
I haven't found anything useful at the forums !!!
I've looked and looked and they only contain a few useless posts by
people with problems however Microsoft also isn't putting any of their
efforts to improving the forums themselves either.

Just my 2-cents.

Jeff Gaines

May 6, 2010, 6:38:52 AM5/6/10

On 06/05/2010 in message
<DCA76A6F-3CC1-4CD8...@microsoft.com> Carlos wrote:

>I was "born" here, almost exactly 5 years ago, using the web interface.

Well that's certainly unusual Carlos :-)

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK

All those who believe in psychokinesis raise my hand.

Bogey Man

May 6, 2010, 9:40:33 AM5/6/10

"TMA" <t...@tmasoftwares.com> wrote in message

I'm with you. Yesterday, I tried navigating their site and it was the
biggest pain in the ass imaginable. One has to wade through a pile of crap
that you are not interested in just to get to the bits that are of interest.
Usenet as bad as it is is a 1000 times better than what Microsoft is
offering with their lousy interface and lack of control over what you see
and how you see it.

Antares 531

May 6, 2010, 10:31:54 AM5/6/10

Thumbs up on your comments. I hate the damned forum setup.

Bobby Johnson

May 6, 2010, 10:39:24 AM5/6/10
Blame the left-wing liberals that aren't happy with anything as it is!

Antares 531

May 6, 2010, 11:42:55 AM5/6/10
On Thu, 06 May 2010 10:39:24 -0400, Bobby Johnson
<rjoh...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Blame the left-wing liberals that aren't happy with anything as it is!

I was very well satisfied with the Usenet setup, but I sure DO NOT
like the forums.

TMA

May 7, 2010, 4:01:14 AM5/7/10
> Blame the left-wing liberals that aren't happy with anything as it is!

Programmers and computer users and IT geeks like me are never happy with
things as they are. That's why we configure, adapt, change, burn our brains
and spend our money on gadgets that we don't even need now or won't need
anymore in 6 to 12 months.
Does it make us all left-wing liberals?

KCB

May 7, 2010, 9:17:56 PM5/7/10

"Jeff Gaines" <jgaines...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message

alt.windows7.general is full of whack jobs intent on flaming each other
over which OS is better. Most of the time, there is much more noise than
useful information. That being said, there is an occasional useful thread.

KCB

May 7, 2010, 9:20:17 PM5/7/10

"Bobby Johnson" <rjoh...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> Blame the left-wing liberals that aren't happy with anything as it is!

I thought everything was still GW's fault?!

XS11E

May 8, 2010, 5:18:48 PM5/8/10
"KCB" <bcg...@hootmail.com> wrote:

> alt.windows7.general is full of whack jobs intent on flaming each
> other over which OS is better.

For those of use who use a newsreader with proper killfiling and
scoring capabilities those people don't exist and the newsgroup is a
useful one.

The Usenet Improvement Project:

Tony Harding

May 17, 2010, 11:20:10 PM5/17/10

MSFT *can* change things, you know, maybe even *improve* them. (not
holding my breath, BTW)

People just don't like change.

Tony Harding

May 17, 2010, 11:20:58 PM5/17/10
On 05/06/10 10:39, Bobby Johnson wrote:
> Blame the left-wing liberals that aren't happy with anything as it is!

ROTFLMAO - now *that's* funny!

Tony Harding

May 17, 2010, 11:21:44 PM5/17/10

Nah, Bill Clinton's.

Graystar

Jul 6, 2010, 8:07:18 PM7/6/10

"TMA" <t...@tmasoftwares.com> wrote in message

If your making life a PITA for all the rest of us?

Damn straight, Tex.

=\8-D

Graystar

Jul 6, 2010, 8:08:34 PM7/6/10

"Tony Harding" <thar...@newsguy.com> wrote in message

> On 05/06/10 10:39, Bobby Johnson wrote:
>> Blame the left-wing liberals that aren't happy with anything as it is!
>
> ROTFLMAO - now *that's* funny!

Not half as funny as Libs trying to be "logical".

Graystar

Jul 6, 2010, 8:09:31 PM7/6/10

"Tony Harding" <thar...@newsguy.com> wrote in message

That's because they know that "change for change sake... is STUPID!" and can
be down right fatal.

Graystar

Jul 6, 2010, 8:12:00 PM7/6/10

"XS11E" <xs...@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message

On that observation <above> all intelligent IT techs should be able to
agree.
Usenet is very useful for techs trying to solve problems and sharing info
[text or binary].

Graystar

Graystar

Jul 6, 2010, 8:13:48 PM7/6/10

"gumby" <gu...@here.com> wrote in message

They will become the new Nigerian scam phishers for fools.
<grin>

Shenan Stanley

Jul 6, 2010, 9:48:28 PM7/6/10
<snipped>

Graystar wrote:
> If your making life a PITA for all the rest of us?
>
> Damn straight, Tex.

A full month later you respond to almost every one of the threads in this
conversation...
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general/browse_frm/thread/836f9f437998c15c/

*sigh*

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Steve Foster

Jul 7, 2010, 7:35:21 AM7/7/10
Shenan Stanley wrote:

> <snipped>
>
> Graystar wrote:
> > If your making life a PITA for all the rest of us?
> >
> > Damn straight, Tex.
>
> A full month later you respond to almost every one of the threads in
> this conversation...

And your point is what exactly?

http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general/browse_frm/thread/836f9f437998c15c/

WTF would you post a Google Groups link to the very thread we're in?

--
Steve Foster
For SSL Certificates, Domains, etc, visit.:

Shenan Stanley

Jul 7, 2010, 8:15:24 AM7/7/10

<snipped>

Steve Foster wrote:
> And your point is what exactly?
>

> WTF would you post a Google Groups link to the very thread we're in?

Oh - you are one of those. I respond to you elsewhere pointing out
something and you make it your goal to respond to me arbitrarily where ever
you can.

First question - I stated it already - it's quoted above.

Second question - I thought you would know this, but - not everyone accesses
this posting in the same manner. Some people will not see anything but a
bunch of responses from "Graystar", they will not see the original postings
at all if they are using a news reader with settings that would have
expired/gotten rid of the older postings and/or their news server they
utilize expired them already and/or if the web forum that leeched them from
the news servers missed them/didn't synch them/etc.

The Google Groups version shows everything - in TREE view with timestamps
and such - making up for any deficits in peoples perception/software/server
choice/etc.

Not to mention I snipped it - so the link also again makes sure someone
could see everything above that - despite any deficits in their method of
viewing this conversation.

Graystar

Jul 7, 2010, 7:04:31 PM7/7/10

"Shenan Stanley" <newsh...@gmail.com> wrote in message

BFD.

That's what NGs are for, Mr Shenan MSRSPASPCA

Graystar

Jul 7, 2010, 7:10:02 PM7/7/10

> <snipped>
>
> Graystar wrote:
>> If your making life a PITA for all the rest of us?
>>
>> Damn straight, Tex.
>
> Shenan Stanley wrote:
>> A full month later you respond to almost every one of the threads
>> in this conversation...
>> http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general/browse_frm/thread/836f9f437998c15c/
>>
>> *sigh*
>
> Steve Foster wrote:
>> And your point is what exactly?
>>
>> WTF would you post a Google Groups link to the very thread we're in?
>
> Oh - you are one of those. I respond to you elsewhere pointing out
> something and you make it your goal to respond to me arbitrarily where
> ever you can.

[big whiney diatribe of the obvious SNIPPED]

> --
> Shenan Stanley
> MS-MVP
> --
> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Hey Mr Network NAZI!

The fault lies with your Google TREE view.
If they can't follow an extended conversation over a longer period, then
they are worthless to just about everyone.

More specifically, I DID quote the original post, so your argument is
illogical.
People can read the original and the response. DILLIGAF if it is delayed.
We all don't LIVE on YOUR time scale.
We are out here WORKING in the REAL WORLD.

You should try that first and thinking first before you shoot your whiney
little mouth off.
Capishe!

Steve Foster

Jul 7, 2010, 7:29:44 PM7/7/10
Shenan Stanley wrote:

> <snipped>
>
> Graystar wrote:
> > If your making life a PITA for all the rest of us?
> >
> > Damn straight, Tex.
>
> Shenan Stanley wrote:
> > A full month later you respond to almost every one of the threads
> > in this conversation...

http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general/browse_frm/thread/836f9f437998c15c/

> > *sigh*
>
> Steve Foster wrote:
> > And your point is what exactly?
> >
> > WTF would you post a Google Groups link to the very thread we're in?
>
> Oh - you are one of those. I respond to you elsewhere pointing out
> something and you make it your goal to respond to me arbitrarily
> where ever you can.

You're *not* that important.

It was simply the apparent pointlessness of your response here, which
for an MVP seemed disappointing (though not as much of a surprise as it
would have been 5 years ago). And I happened to be in a frivolous mood.

Shenan Stanley

Jul 7, 2010, 9:53:29 PM7/7/10
Graystar wrote:
> BFD.
>
> That's what NGs are for, Mr Shenan MSRSPASPCA

Pretty much sums up you in a nutshell as far as I am concerned.

*shrug* Each their own.

Shenan Stanley

Jul 7, 2010, 9:54:07 PM7/7/10
Graystar wrote:
> Hey Mr Network NAZI!
>
> The fault lies with your Google TREE view.
> If they can't follow an extended conversation over a longer period,
> then they are worthless to just about everyone.
>
> More specifically, I DID quote the original post, so your argument
> is illogical.
> People can read the original and the response. DILLIGAF if it is
> delayed. We all don't LIVE on YOUR time scale.
> We are out here WORKING in the REAL WORLD.
>
> You should try that first and thinking first before you shoot your
> whiney little mouth off.
> Capishe!

Wow - touchy. Must be 12.

Graystar

Jul 10, 2010, 11:49:04 AM7/10/10

"Shenan Stanley" <newsh...@gmail.com> wrote in message

That's the best you can do? a middle school "I know you are but what am I"
reply?

You, Mr. Shenan, are a ludite fool.

Graystar

Jul 10, 2010, 11:51:32 AM7/10/10

"Shenan Stanley" <newsh...@gmail.com> wrote in message

As you say... then I reply "Yep, You are 12. 12 flavors of fool".

You don't know how to ask questions the right way so you have to put a link
at the bottom of your posts just to imply you are smart.
There is nothing smart about you except for your ass, you are a fricken
TROLL!

Shenan Stanley

Jul 10, 2010, 12:04:52 PM7/10/10
Graystar wrote:
> As you say... then I reply "Yep, You are 12. 12 flavors of fool".
>
> You don't know how to ask questions the right way so you have to
> put a link at the bottom of your posts just to imply you are smart.
> There is nothing smart about you except for your ass, you are a
> fricken TROLL!

I cannot help but laugh when you post.

Shenan Stanley

Jul 10, 2010, 12:09:08 PM7/10/10

Graystar wrote:
> You, Mr. Shenan, are a ludite fool.

Again - I cannot help but laugh when you post.

If you are going to attempt to post beyond your limits - please do it more
carefully in the future. It won't be as funny, but perhaps that is because
your point will be taken more seriously.

Graystar

Jul 10, 2010, 6:33:18 PM7/10/10

"Shenan Stanley" <newsh...@gmail.com> wrote in message

It is clear that newsgroup benefits are beyond your limits since you
advocate their uselessness and elimination.
I cannot help but chuckle at your single minded arrogant belief that you are
superior in your stance.

We call those like you "Network Nazis" because that is how they behave both
in behavior and attitude.

While those not paying attention don't see it, it is you and your kind that
are murdering the newsgroups,
because you are a jerk. But you already know that because you live under a
bridge. TROLL.

Graystar

Jul 10, 2010, 6:34:31 PM7/10/10

"Shenan Stanley" <newsh...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Quite right. It is all your bit-brain can handle. U Troll.

Shenan Stanley

Jul 10, 2010, 6:47:05 PM7/10/10
Graystar wrote:
> It is clear that newsgroup benefits are beyond your limits since you
> advocate their uselessness and elimination.
> I cannot help but chuckle at your single minded arrogant belief
> that you are superior in your stance.
>
> We call those like you "Network Nazis" because that is how they
> behave both in behavior and attitude.
>
> While those not paying attention don't see it, it is you and your
> kind that are murdering the newsgroups,
> because you are a jerk. But you already know that because you live
> under a bridge. TROLL.

Troll. Look it up.

If anyone would be defined as a troll for the newsgroups, this conversation
in particular, it would be you.

You came up a month after the conversation had ended and stirred the empty
pot. I called you on it and you continue to pop your head out to defend
your stance even though I have not attacked this newsgroup or what you seem
to believe you are now defending. I merely commented that you responded to
a clearly dead thread with no useful comments and only attacks and generally
obscene (to some) comments. You continued it from there - it didn't take
much prodding - you wanted to argue thus why you stirred the pot in the
first place.

Sometiumes it is fun to participate in conversations like this - but the
novelty of your ignorance has worn off. I bid you a good life.

Shenan Stanley

Jul 10, 2010, 6:46:11 PM7/10/10
Graystar wrote:
> Quite right. It is all your bit-brain can handle. U Troll.

I will just refer you to what will be my last response in this thread - the
next one to your longer response.

Graystar

Jul 10, 2010, 6:54:28 PM7/10/10

"Shenan Stanley" <newsh...@gmail.com> wrote in message

REMEMBER it is YOU who is the TROLL here

It is a dull surpise that you have turned about-face from your voiced
opinion of Jun 3rd 2010

On Thu, 3 Jun 2010 21:20:14 -0500, "Shenan Stanley" wrote:

"We're free-thinkers who don't particularly like web boards or censorship,
otherwise called "moderation".
http://us.generation-nt.com/so-group-dead-help-198730591.html

It is quite apparent that "free thinking" doesn't not include a very large
bandwidth for You.

You apparently have infinite time and energy to waste playing network Nazi
since I directed no replies initially to you,
Mr. Buttinski. I didn't address any of my posts to YOU and you vacuous
replies are a complete waste of time.
Since you want to aggrandize yourself, you can do so without my help. You
are Killfiled.

But go right ahead picking expressly pointless fights with people you don't
even know.
Maybe they <Microsoft> will write a song about you while mopping you off the
floor,
as they did in the song "LeRoy Brown", after you have met a similar fate.

PLONK

Graystar

Jul 10, 2010, 7:14:05 PM7/10/10

> Graystar wrote:
>> It is clear that newsgroup benefits are beyond your limits since you
>> advocate their uselessness and elimination.
>> I cannot help but chuckle at your single minded arrogant belief
>> that you are superior in your stance.
>>
>> We call those like you "Network Nazis" because that is how they
>> behave both in behavior and attitude.
>>
>> While those not paying attention don't see it, it is you and your
>> kind that are murdering the newsgroups,
>> because you are a jerk. But you already know that because you live
>> under a bridge. TROLL.
>
> Troll. Look it up.
>
> If anyone would be defined as a troll for the newsgroups, this
> conversation in particular, it would be you.

You look it up and remind yourself. People who reply to older posts are not
trolls, bud.
People who post to deliberately pick a fight are.
YOU did that. Not me. That is why others posted to you asking why you did
that.
The thread is clear. The provocatuer is clear.
It is YOU since I did not direct any comment to you that would require your
response.

> You came up a month after the conversation had ended and stirred the empty
> pot.

There was NO pot to Stir!
Apparantly You thought this an opportunity to 'bring out your inner Troll'
since the "troll post" as you define it was already there.

> I called you on it and you continue to pop your head out to defend your
> stance even though I have not attacked this newsgroup or what you seem to
> believe you are now defending.

Too bad you haven't "popped your head out" of your dark place to realize how
NGs work.
much and can't deal with others who reply to posts you don't happen to
fancy.

> I merely commented that you responded to a clearly dead thread
> with no useful comments and only attacks and generally obscene (to some)
> comments.

Poppycock. Threads do not die unless they are over six months old and even
then can start up again depending on circumstances and current events... OR
unless there is a sensible NG Moderator who correctly IDs a TROLL and blocks
them from the NG.
You became a TROLL when you attacked me.
My posts are and were harmless until you got involved.
Check it.
The tone and purpose changed once you started throwing your superior monkey
dreck at me.
I don't have to take that and I won't.

> You continued it from there - it didn't take much prodding - you wanted
> to argue thus why you stirred the pot in the first place.

Ridiculous! and not thought through very well...!
First, you admit you "prodded"... Troll!
Second, you ASSUMED that I was arguing in my primary replies. WRONG!
Third, YOU stirred the <alleged> "pot" when you attacked me.
Deal with your OWN fault Troll. Face it...it was you who FUBARed my
harmless posts.

Unlike you, some of us work for a living and work hard all day,
not screwing around giving ersatz "advice" to people with computer
questions.
I don't need a putz like you trying aggressively enforce your opinions on my
as whatever it is you think you are.
Yeah, Free Speech it is... and you just threw verbal accelerators on what
was not even a fire... and you lit the match.
Congratulations.

> Sometiumes it is fun to participate in conversations like this - but the
> novelty of your ignorance has worn off. I bid you a good life.
> --
> Shenan Stanley
> MS-MVP
> --
> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

The above statement of yours illustrates your repeated baiting attack and
that you have lost the argument.
I can turn your statement right around on you and paraphrase:
<spelling corrected>:

'The novelty of your arrogance has worn off. May you reap what you sow..