Registry edit to kill Explorer View "large icon" default?

Ron Badour

Feb 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/20/00
CHANGING ICON DISPLAY DEFAULT IN DUAL-PANE WINDOWS. The default icon view
that displays in the right panel of the Explorer can be changed by modifying
the registry. Open the registry to this key: HKEY_CURRENT_ USER\Software\
Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion \Explorer\ExpView and highlight the
ExpView folder. In the right pane there should be an entry named Settings.
Right-click Settings and select modify. Move the cursor down to the 6th row
of numbers and move it to the position in front of the fifth column. This
is the 45th byte of data and it controls how the icons are displayed: large
icons = 01, small icons = 02, list = 03 and details = 04. To make a change,
hit the delete key once, enter the appropriate two-digit number and click
OK.

CHANGING ICON DISPLAY DEFAULT IN SINGLE-PANE WINDOWS. The default icon view
of the control panel, windows opened with the "Open" command on the context
menu and other single-pane windows can be changed by modifying the registry.
The normal cautions about updating the registry apply. Open the registry to
this key:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer
\Streams and highlight the Streams folder. In the right panel, there
may be a Settings entry and, if so, right-click it and select modify. Move
the cursor to the position in front of the fifth group of numbers which
controls how the icons are displayed: large icons = 01, small icons = 02,
list = 03 and details = 04. Hit the delete key once, enter the two-digit
number and click OK. If the Settings entry doesn't exist (W95 only),
create one by right-clicking the right panel, select New Binary Value,
rename it "Settings" and hit enter. Right-click Settings, select modify and
enter this value: 03 00 00 00 03 00 00. Enter the appropriate value for
the fifth position as indicated above.

Once the default is set, open Explorer, set up the view as you like it,
click view, folder options, view tab, click the like current folder button,
hold down the control key and click the X to close Explorer.

--
Regards

Ron Badour, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
Making good newsgroup posts:
http://members.xoom.com/rwbadour/assets/images/Gpost.zip
Tips: http://members.xoom.com/rwbadour/
Knowledge Base Info: http://support.microsoft.com/support/search/c.asp

Geoffrey <geoffre...@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> We've tried it all (please don't respond with the usual mantra, we know
it
> all). There have been numerous requests for the fix to kill the default
> large icon dragon. Nothing works, those large icons keep popping back.
> Change the folder name, crashes, et.al. and those large icons are back.
> Most people want the "List" View as the default (as do I). Please, is
there
> some registry super-guru out there who knows the surgery?
>

> TIA,
>
> Geoffrey

Geoffrey

Feb 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/20/00
Thanks Ron. I can appreciate the effort you put into your response. It's
certainly been the best response to this problem I've seen yet (and I've
done the Deja News searches on it). Alas, I probably should have clarified
the problem slightly more. My registry settings were indeed what they
should be for the List ("03") View (per your instructions). And everything
works OK for the Dual Pane mode and also for the Single Pane mode for "Open
each folder in the same window".

However, the large icon problem still remains with the Single Pane and
"Open each folder in its own window" mode. I expect it's this mode that
everyone is complaining about and for which apparently no one as yet has
found a solution. If you rename a parent folder in this mode with the
registry settings as you suggest the icons will still change back to large
icons (let me know if it's different for you, maybe I have some other
problem going on).

You're certainly the Saviour we've all been looking for on this one. I
expect if you can't solve it, no one can. And it's probably hardwired in
the OS code itself and it's hopeless.

> hold down the control key and click the X to close Explorer.

This used to work great in Win95 when you did it to the "My Computer" window
but is useless in '98.

"Once the default is set, open Explorer, set up the view as you like it,
click view, folder options, view tab, click the like current folder button,
hold down the control key and click the X to close Explorer."

Tried it, but seems to do nothing for my problem in Win98SE.

Thanks so much for all your help in this,

Geoffrey

Ron Badour <bad...@flash.net> wrote in message