Windows Installer Corruption

Mary Louise

Apr 8, 2004, 12:59:42 PM4/8/04
I am unable to install Norton AntiVirus 2004 on a client a
PC. the following error occurs: "Norton AntiVirus 2004
Installation has failed. Do you want to try again"

Symantec advised me to run the "Windows Installer Cleanup
Utility". The following error occurs when I try to run
the cleanup utility:

"This utility requires that the Windows Installer be
installed and properly registered".

Windows installer is already installed on this PC so when
I try to reinstall it I get a message indicating that it
is already installed and therefore the new installation
fails.

According to Symantec I need to manually
uninstall "Windows Installer" and reinstall a clean
version.

If anyone is aware of an article specifically pertaining
to manually uninstalling Windows Installer and
reinstalling a clean version I would appreciate this
information very much.

Thank you for your anticipated help.

Mary Louise

Lee

Apr 8, 2004, 8:22:38 PM4/8/04
"Mary Louise" <anon...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:<1a53101c41d8a$e2e24af0$a101...@phx.gbl>...

Bad advice, "Windows Installer Cleanup Utility" only worked
with version 1 of Windows Installer - no wonder you get
an error message when trying to use it as it's looking for
version 1 files.

Bad advice #2, you CAN'T uninstall Windows Installer version
2, MS didn't release a 'Cleanup Utility' for it so how can
we?

Bad advie #3 The problem is Norton. Run the uninstall
program for norton found on the CD, then use Find files
and folders for everything named 'nort' and 'syman' and
delete them one and all. Provided you are using
Windows Installer version 2 and do a reboot, Norton
will now install. Makes me suspicous that Norton was the
only problem to begin with, but they blame anything and
everything else first.

If after downloading this and double clicking on it to
install it you get 'This service already exists' message
that means you already have Windows Installer version 2
installed.
Windows Installer 2.0 Redistributable
for Windows 95, 98, and Me - 25 Sep 2001 1,670kb
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/release.asp?ReleaseID=32831

Michelle Amini

Apr 9, 2004, 10:02:30 AM4/9/04
Hi Lee,

I have the same problem with windows installer as above
but what if my file is corrupted because of a revious
virus I had. I get the service already exsists message

>.

Lee

Apr 9, 2004, 3:44:03 PM4/9/04
"Michelle Amini" <anon...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:<1a75b01c41e3b$4c7498f0$a301...@phx.gbl>...

> Hi Lee,
>
> I have the same problem with windows installer as above
> but what if my file is corrupted because of a revious
> virus I had. I get the service already exsists message

Hi Michelle,

I feel your pain believe me. One method would be to use
WinZip on the InsMsiA.exe package to extract it's contents
to a temp folder such as Windows\system\test and then use
a DOS prompt box opened at Windows\system to do a file
compare between the just extracted and known good files VS
the one in the System folder proper. The DOS command for
this would be:
fc /b filespec1 filespec2 - or
fc /b msi.dll .\test\msi.dll - from the system folder as
mentioned above.

do fc /? to see the exact info and switches for file compare
command. This would be a standard method by which anyone
could conceivably at least check their MSI Installer files.

But I went ahead and wrote an inf file to help with the
actual replacement of any corrupted msi files. First one
extracts the files from InstMsiA.exe using WinZip or as in
the Knowledge Base article mentioned within the .inf file's
comments. You then Copy and Paste the .inf file with Notepad
into that same folder (must be C:\test as per article and
inf's comments) and then right click the inf file to select
'Install'. The inf file will then check the version of each
file and overwrite any that are the same or less version to
your system. It also does a CRC check on same version files
which equates to a byte for byte check and if any are found
to be different then those files get copied to. In sync with
all this is a work around method for replacing files that are
in use by Windows and a method of re-registering those files
that need that done be they in use or not. This inf file
must be named RedoMsi.inf and it must be 'Install'ed from the
the C:\Test folder where you have also placed the extracted
files from InstMsiA.exe. Here is the inf file.
----------------

; RedoMsi.inf - right click and choose 'Install' of this inf file
; after following advice on page below to extract msi files
; http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=229819
; place this inf file in same folder mentioned in article
; eg. C:\Test folder - then install this inf file to overwrite
; any files that are damaged or corrupt. Please reboot when
; asked to as one or more files were found in use and also
; needed replaced, if not prompted to reboot - then no need to,
; files that were damaged and not in use got overwritten
; Basic flaw in msiexec does not do CRC check of files, only
; version test and existance test
; This inf file adds CRC testing to correct broken Windows
; Installer version 2 files to have the effect of a
; 're-install' of Windows Installer version 2, otherwise not
; obtainable on Win9x
;

[Version]
Signature="$Chicago$"

[DefaultInstall]
CopyFiles = Doit
AddReg = GetAdvpack

[GetAdvpack]
HKLM,"Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce","AdvPack
Install",0,"rundll32.exe advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection
%27%\Test\RedoMsi.inf, AdvpackReg"

[AdvpackReg]
RequiredEngine = setupapi
RegisterOCXs = Msifiles

[Msifiles]
"%11%\msi.dll"
"%11%\msihnd.dll"
"%11%\msisip.dll"

[DestinationDirs]
Doit = 11 ;Windows\System
Sbddir = 10,AppPatch ;Windows\AppPatch

[SourceDisksNames]
55=,"",0

[SourceDisksFiles]
cabinet.dll=55
msi.dll=55
msiexec.exe=55
msihnd.dll=55
msimain.sbd=55
msimsg.dll=55
msisip.dll=55
mspatcha.dll=55
msls31.dll=55
imagehlp.dll=55
riched20.dll=55
sdbapi.dll=55
shfolder.dll=55
usp10.dll=55

[Doit]
cabinet.dll,,,40 ; overwrite only if file fails crc and/or
msi.dll,,,40 ; lower version test
msiexec.exe,,,40 ; also make wininit.ini entry if file is
msihnd.dll,,,40 ; in use and let the user know that
msimsg.dll,,,40 ; a reboot is needed to finish the install
msisip.dll,,,40 ; also register self-registering files
mspatcha.dll,,,40 ; in sync with all of the above
msls31.dll,,,40
imagehlp.dll,,,40
riched20.dll,,,40
sdbapi.dll,,,40
shfolder.dll,,,40
usp10.dll,,,40

[Sbddir]
msimain.sbd,,,40

-------------

My inf file makes replacing files in use automatic as well as the
registering of the self registering dll files in the InstMsiA.exe
package. But you can also do this via the DOS method of file
compare and then replacement manually. To then register the files
type Regsvr32 followed by the dll file name to be registered into
the Run Box as for example.

Regsvr32 msi.dll

I have verified that my inf file will find and replace purposely
corrupted (by me as a test) msi files. If any MVPs would care to
give us a switch combo to run with InstMsiA.exe which can do the
same as this inf file, I'd dearly like to see that switch!

mae

Apr 9, 2004, 3:55:32 PM4/9/04
Would this work to reinstall over itself:

InstMsiA.exe /T:c:\msi\ /C

mae

mae

Apr 9, 2004, 4:21:15 PM4/9/04
My previous message posted wrong before finishing.
My daughter used this switch which was previously posted by you.
InstMsi.exe /T:c:\msi\ /C
and it worked after a virus corrupted hers.

mae

Lee

Apr 10, 2004, 4:43:22 AM4/10/04
"mae" <agra...@notemail.msn.com> wrote in message news:<OdEGvAnH...@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl>...

> My previous message posted wrong before finishing.
> My daughter used this switch which was previously posted by you.
> InstMsi.exe /T:c:\msi\ /C
> and it worked after a virus corrupted hers.
>
> mae

Yes, I've quit posting that misleading switch as I now believe
it does nothing more than extract the files in InstMsiA.exe
to C:\MSI folder. I have no explaination as to why that 'fixed'
anything but a slightly altered switch than that is used in the
Kb article to ONLY extract the files contained in the package.
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=229819
If you'll remember I gave thanks to Symantec for the switch
knowledge which appears to minimal at best. The switch was in
a symantec paper on dealing with Windows Installer problems and
gave the illusion that one need do nothing else, I'm sorry I
took them at face value and posted that info here.

PCR

Apr 13, 2004, 10:41:09 PM4/13/04
Looks like no one wants to touch it, Lee.

--
(By the way, I never said that, & I was never here, as Harper is my witness!),
Thanks or Good Luck,

Mary Louise

Apr 15, 2004, 11:40:00 AM4/15/04
Hi Lee:

Thank you for your input. In the end it did turn out to
be a version 2 MS Installer error however as you mentioned
the MS Cleanup Utiltiy was not the answer.

I found the following Microsoft knowledge base article -
#315346 with a different error than mine however the
resoltion did apply. There was a conflict between where
the msiexec.exe was installed on the hard drive and where
the registery entry for MS Installer was pointing. Anyway
here is the URL if anyone else comes across this issue or
a similiar one: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?
scid=kb;en-us;315346.

Thanks again,

Mary Louise