My Documents Folder Slow To Open!

TJBlack

Aug 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/30/00
Running Win98SE on a 500Mhz PIII with 128 Mb RAM. Should be plenty
fast enough. When I click on my My Documents folder, it is slow to
open compared to other folders. Some folders take three and four
seconds to open. Other folders open up immediately.

I used to have a lot of files with several layers of folders in My
Documents, but have move them to another directory. My new directory
with several folders and files opens immediately. My Documents now
has three files and no folders and it still is very sluggish to open.
Any ideas here? TIA!
---
TJ

mcanney

Aug 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/30/00

Do you have an Antivirus program running? If you do try to exclude that
folder.

"TJBlack" <tom....@home.com> wrote in message

Erio Michelangelo C.

Aug 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/30/00
Hello TJB,

try give a look at this old post... when.. when ... WHEN will MS tell us
what's going on there?

Ciao!

"Opening a Folder Takes a Long Time! When you open a folder in Microsoft
Explorer on a drive using the FAT32
file system. The total space used by all directory entries in the folder
exceeds 32K:
Move some files to a different folder"

That is not what is needed in this case, or at least not the only (and
most evident) cause... the slow "My Docs" problem is a thread that has been
posted here many times but even MS didn't officialy answered to why this
system folder (all system folders?) get so slow using Windows Explorer to
browse them, even without Office (or any application at all but the OS
itself with basic driver sets) installed...

James, the only good advice for now is to move all your data out of My
Docs and put in it a link/shortcut to the new folder you just created.

--
www.thehungersite.com
Help starving people, it's free!

www.therainforestsite.com
Help us & our kids to have healthier air, it's free!

E=MC^2 (Erio "U2 ?!" Michelangelo C.)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ICQ UIN : 4502546

Mr. Eos

Aug 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/30/00
Put a shortcut into MyDox that points to your new file storage location for
those "programs that want to dump their files" into MyDox. This makes
saving to your new location much easier.

> Thanks for the reply.
>
> Guess I wan't losing my mind. I got impatient a couple of weeks ago
> and moved all my files out of My Documents. Problem is now fixed
> except for programs that want to dump their files there. Have not
> taken time to go through the Registry yet and see what points there.
>
> Thanks for your help!

> > Hello TJB,
> >
> > try give a look at this old post... when.. when ... WHEN will MS tell
us
> >what's going on there?
> >
> > Ciao!
> >

> > "Opening a Folder Takes a Long Time! When you open a folder in
Microsoft
> >Explorer on a drive using the FAT32
> >file system. The total space used by all directory entries in the folder
> >exceeds 32K:
> >Move some files to a different folder"
> >
> > That is not what is needed in this case, or at least not the only
(and
> >most evident) cause... the slow "My Docs" problem is a thread that has
been
> >posted here many times but even MS didn't officialy answered to why this
> >system folder (all system folders?) get so slow using Windows Explorer to
> >browse them, even without Office (or any application at all but the OS
> >itself with basic driver sets) installed...
> >
> > James, the only good advice for now is to move all your data out of
My
> >Docs and put in it a link/shortcut to the new folder you just created.
>

> ---
> TJ

TJBlack

Aug 30, 2000, 9:43:51 PM8/30/00

TJBlack

Aug 30, 2000, 9:45:33 PM8/30/00
No AV running in the background at all. Thanks

>Do you have an Antivirus program running? If you do try to exclude that
>folder.
>

>"TJBlack" <tom....@home.com> wrote in message

>> Running Win98SE on a 500Mhz PIII with 128 Mb RAM. Should be plenty
>> fast enough. When I click on my My Documents folder, it is slow to
>> open compared to other folders. Some folders take three and four
>> seconds to open. Other folders open up immediately.
>>
>> I used to have a lot of files with several layers of folders in My
>> Documents, but have move them to another directory. My new directory
>> with several folders and files opens immediately. My Documents now
>> has three files and no folders and it still is very sluggish to open.
>> Any ideas here? TIA!
>> ---
>> TJ

---
TJ

TJBlack

Aug 31, 2000, 9:43:15 AM8/31/00
Great suggestion! Thanks

On Wed, 30 Aug 2000 22:38:18 -0500, "Mr. Eos" <Re...@Group.All> wrote:

>Put a shortcut into MyDox that points to your new file storage location for
>those "programs that want to dump their files" into MyDox. This makes
>saving to your new location much easier.
>

>"TJBlack" <tom....@home.com> wrote in message

---
TJ

netw...@911networks.com

Aug 31, 2000, 12:34:32 PM8/31/00
See: http://www.911networks.com > Windows 95/98 >
Slow > Opening a Folder Takes a Long Time!

See: http://www.911networks.com > Windows 95/98 >
Slow > Why is there a very slow startup and
accessing drives?

On Wed, 30 Aug 2000 14:29:45 GMT, TJBlack
<tom....@home.com> wrote:

>Running Win98SE on a 500Mhz PIII with 128 Mb RAM. Should be plenty
>fast enough. When I click on my My Documents folder, it is slow to
>open compared to other folders. Some folders take three and four
>seconds to open. Other folders open up immediately.
>
>I used to have a lot of files with several layers of folders in My
>Documents, but have move them to another directory. My new directory
>with several folders and files opens immediately. My Documents now
>has three files and no folders and it still is very sluggish to open.
>Any ideas here? TIA!
>---
>TJ

http://www.911networks.com
Real Solutions to Real Windows and Networking Problems
Covers: Networks, Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows NT
Free weekly newsletter

TJBlack

Sep 2, 2000, 11:25:52 AM9/2/00
I have done both of the below with no joy. I cannot figure out why
the Non-system folder I moved everything to opens instantly and the My
Documents folder does not.

Am still open to ideas. TIA!

---
TJ