Why Why Why?? Internet Explorer Problem

1 view

ANTHONY DIODATI

Dec 11, 2005, 1:09:03 PM12/11/05
1st. off, I do not wish to use a different broswer.
Often times, I will click on to a link from an open Page of IE, and the
whole page just hangs.
I might have only 4 IE windows open at the most.
Sometimes if I close a few of the other windows, the "new" window will open,
but usually I have to ctrl Alt Delete' to close the hung window. somestimes
I have to do this 3 or 4 times before it will close. Usually, it then closes
the hung window, and all or most of the other windows.
I have ran search and destory, and hijack this, with no help. I DAGS but
found no help.
Last night I ran the "repair IE" from "add/remove" and it seemed like it
fixed it, but then it started doing it again.
I am running an older gateway,(e-4200) with 256 MB Ram, the clock speed is
around 400.
Thanks, Tony D.

glee

Dec 11, 2005, 2:36:41 PM12/11/05
Run the Resource Meter (Start> Programs> Accessories> System Tools) and see what the
available resources are when the problem occurs. Having multiple IE windows open
can put a drain on available resources (not to be confused with memory), especially
if a lot of Java applets and/or scripting is going on in those windows.

Have you considered not using another browser, but a tabbed browser add-on for
IE....something like Avant Browser, Maxthon, or Crazy Browser? It adds tabbed
browsing, allowing you to view multiple web pages in one browser window.
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"ANTHONY DIODATI" <mrbre...@verizon.net> wrote in message

ANTHONY DIODATI

Dec 11, 2005, 3:46:50 PM12/11/05

"glee" <gle...@spamindspring.com> wrote in message
Had 3 windows Open, with 65% available resources ,wich does not seem low to
me.
Wonder if one of the memory sticks could be Bad.

glee

Dec 11, 2005, 4:09:47 PM12/11/05
Do you have IE6 SP1 installed, and all the critical updates for your system, from
Windows Update?

RAM problems is always a possibility, but I would expect errors elsewhere, not just
this one thing. Do you have updated display drivers installed for your video card,
from the card maker's web site or from your brand computer's support site?

--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"ANTHONY DIODATI" <mrbre...@verizon.net> wrote in message

ANTHONY DIODATI

Dec 11, 2005, 6:45:25 PM12/11/05

"glee" <gle...@spamindspring.com> wrote in message
Tried to download driver from this site, But it would not download.
http://support.gateway.com/support/drivers/getFile.asp?id=13752&uid=10755615
2

glee

Dec 11, 2005, 10:02:40 PM12/11/05
What happened when you tried, exactly? Did you use the option to Save the file to
disk?

--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"ANTHONY DIODATI" <mrbre...@verizon.net> wrote in message

Noel Paton

Dec 12, 2005, 5:38:47 AM12/12/05
The download also forces a pop-up - so it may be that scripting is disabled
in some way - check your browser security settings.

--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2006, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
http://www.crashfixpc.com/millsrpch.htm

http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

"glee" <gle...@spamindspring.com> wrote in message

glee

Dec 12, 2005, 5:59:58 AM12/12/05
Yep....but there is also a Download Now link on the page, to use if the pop-up does
not appear. I dunno if the OP is using it, or just waiting for the pop-up that may
not be appearing for the reason you mention.

--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"Noel Paton" <NoelDPs...@crashfixpc.com> wrote in message

Noel Paton

Dec 12, 2005, 6:15:52 AM12/12/05
For me, I get no pop-up until I click on the download link - and no warning
from either IE or Google until then.
I only need to disable the Google pop-up blocker - it's not caught by IE's.
The pop-up itself includes a 'click to download if the main download doesn't
fire' link - but it may be that my GetRight is picking up the d/l early
somehow, as I don't need the pop-up to get the d/l.

--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2006, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
http://www.crashfixpc.com/millsrpch.htm

http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

"glee" <gle...@spamindspring.com> wrote in message

glee

Dec 12, 2005, 1:24:18 PM12/12/05
You're correct.....the download link is on that page, and there are no pop-ups till
the link is clicked. The javascript pop-up window has a second link for downloading
if the Windows dialog box does not automatically appear.

There may be some diff because you are using WinXP and its enhanced version of IE6,
though I dunno what that would have to do with your having to disable the popup
blocker in the Google Toolbar to get the download.

Using IE6 SP1 under Win98SE (which has no native pop-up blocker, unlike IE under XP
SP2), and with the Google Toolbar installed AND blocking pop-ups, I still get the
javascript popup AND the download dialog box for the file (Run, or Save to Disk). I
don't have to disable anything in the Google Toolbar, nor do I have to hold the Ctrl
key while clicking the first link. Odd that the Google Toolbar is acting
differently on our respective machines.

--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"Noel Paton" <NoelDPs...@crashfixpc.com> wrote in message

Noel Paton

Dec 12, 2005, 1:40:48 PM12/12/05
??different?? - looks to me as if they're the same?
I don't *need* to disable the Google pop-up blocker to get the download -
only to get the instructions that come with it.

--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2006, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
http://www.crashfixpc.com/millsrpch.htm

http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

"glee" <gle...@spamindspring.com> wrote in message

PCR

Dec 12, 2005, 3:21:51 PM12/12/05
That site...
http://support.gateway.com/support/drivers/getFile.asp?id=13752&uid=107556152
...very PERSISTENTLY wants to connect to "c:\program files\internet
explorer\iexplore.exe", after clicking to take the download. Per
Kerio...

Someone from 66.161.85.154, port 20 wants to connect to port 1082 owned
by 'Internet Explorer' on your computer

And it's STILL trying now, no matter how many times I click to DENY,
though at greater intervals between! Then, a bunch in a row! It stops by
clicking to closing the site. If, instead, I DENY 10 or so, another
smaller window also does eventually appear with another "Download Now"
on it, but I never clicked that one. I closed that window, & eventually
the original click to download DID put up it's requestor to go into a
folder-- which I did not take! It's a greater than 5 minute experience.

Definitely, not every site will do that, when initiating a download!

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,

"Noel Paton" <NoelDPs...@crashfixpc.com> wrote in message

glee

Dec 12, 2005, 8:21:15 PM12/12/05
Right. That's where we have a differing experience: I don't have to disable Google
popup blocker at all, to get *either* the download OR the instructions popup. I
don't have to disable anything for any of it.
Capiche? ;-)

--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

ANTHONY DIODATI

Dec 12, 2005, 10:22:39 PM12/12/05

> What happened when you tried, exactly? Did you use the option to Save the
file to
> disk?
> --
> Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
I used a download mananger, but it just never started to download.
I'll try it again.

ANTHONY DIODATI

Dec 12, 2005, 11:07:19 PM12/12/05

"ANTHONY DIODATI" <mrbre...@verizon.net> wrote in message
OK, I got it it DL by closeing my download mananger, then that box poped up
with the download now, right click, save target as...................
The site said "Note: DirectX 6.0 or higher needs to be installed on the
system prior to installing these drivers."So I installed DirectX 9 .
When I then tried to install the driver, It said
"display driver not compatible with the display adapter(s) installed on this
system"
So I must have not had the right driver for this system, or card.
Device mananger says I have a ATI 3D Rage Pro (atir3)
Thanks, Tony D.

Noel Paton

Dec 13, 2005, 3:15:04 AM12/13/05
Gotcha! - maybe we're using different versions of the Google toolbar? - mine
is v3.0.128.1-big/en (GGLG)

--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2006, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
http://www.crashfixpc.com/millsrpch.htm

http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

"glee" <gle...@spamindspring.com> wrote in message

glee

Dec 13, 2005, 2:40:03 PM12/13/05
Download, install, then run Aida32, and see what it shows as your actual video crad
model.
http://aumha.org/freeware/freeware.php#aida32

--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"ANTHONY DIODATI" <mrbre...@verizon.net> wrote in message

ANTHONY DIODATI

Dec 13, 2005, 6:02:12 PM12/13/05

> Download, install, then run Aida32, and see what it shows as your actual
video crad
> model.
> http://aumha.org/freeware/freeware.php#aida32
> --
> > OK, I got it it DL by closeing my download mananger, then that box poped
up
> > with the download now, right click, save target as...................
> > The site said "Note: DirectX 6.0 or higher needs to be installed on the
> > system prior to installing these drivers."So I installed DirectX 9 .
> > When I then tried to install the driver, It said
> > "display driver not compatible with the display adapter(s) installed on
this
> > system"
> > So I must have not had the right driver for this system, or card.
> > Device mananger says I have a ATI 3D Rage Pro (atir3)
> > Thanks, Tony D.
Under Display it shows The same
(copied from aida32)
Internet Explorer 6.0.2800.1106 (IE 6.0 SP1)
Computer Name N8K8F7
Motherboard
CPU Type Intel Pentium II, 450 MHz (4.5 x 100)
Motherboard Name Unknown
Motherboard Chipset Intel 82440BX/ZX
System Memory 256 MB (SDRAM)
BIOS Type Phoenix (11/30/99)
Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)
Communication Port ECP Printer Port (LPT1)
Display
Video Adapter ATI 3D Rage Pro (atir3) (4 MB)
3D Accelerator ATI 3D-Rage Pro
Network Adapter 3Com 3C90x Ethernet Adapter (192.168.1.47)
Thanks, Tony D.

glee

Dec 13, 2005, 11:03:13 PM12/13/05
Mine is 3.0.125.1-deleon/en (GGLD)

--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"Noel Paton" <NoelDPs...@crashfixpc.com> wrote in message

glee

Dec 13, 2005, 11:07:30 PM12/13/05
That's odd....the driver you downloaded states it is for the display adapter
reported by AIDA32. Not sure why it says it is not.

--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"ANTHONY DIODATI" <mrbre...@verizon.net> wrote in message

glee

Dec 14, 2005, 7:05:43 AM12/14/05
Anthony,
Start in Safe Mode, look in Device Manager there, and see how many different items
are listed under the Display Adapter category in Safe Mode.

--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

ANTHONY DIODATI

Dec 14, 2005, 7:11:28 AM12/14/05
Don't know, Just tried it again, same message.
Thanks for trying.
Tony D.

"glee" <gle...@spamindspring.com> wrote in message

Noel Paton

Dec 14, 2005, 9:27:40 AM12/14/05
I lost track - is this an onboard graphics, or on a PCI/AGP slot? - if the
former, some were pretty tetchy about drivers, as the OEMs tweaked the
chipsets rather badly (presumably to reduce costs).

--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2006, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
http://www.crashfixpc.com/millsrpch.htm

http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

glee

Dec 14, 2005, 2:49:39 PM12/14/05
I agree....but I dunno if it is onboard or a vid card in a slot. I don't think the
OP ever stated. Let's ask.....

--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"Noel Paton" <NoelDPs...@crashfixpc.com> wrote in message

ANTHONY DIODATI

Dec 19, 2005, 7:14:33 PM12/19/05
This is all I get, same as in regular mode,

Video Adapter ATI 3D Rage Pro (atir3)
Thanks, Tony D.

"glee" <gle...@spamindspring.com> wrote in message

glee

Dec 21, 2005, 8:45:10 PM12/21/05
Sorry for the delay.....you seem to definitely have ATI 3D Rage Pro (atir3), then.
;-) The drivers you tried to download may not be an exact match due to tweaking
by Gateway, as I think Noel suggested. We got off on a bit of a tangent here with
the video drivers. You mentioned earlier that you wondered if a bad RAM stick could
be at fault. It seems a rather long shot, but if you want to test your RAM,
download one of these diagnostic diskette makers, then use it to make a bootable
diskette for testing your RAM (download them all if you like):

DocMemory
http://www.simmtester.com/page/products/doc/download.asp

MemTest86+:
http://www.memtest.org/

Windows Memory Tester
http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"ANTHONY DIODATI" <mrbre...@verizon.net> wrote in message

ANTHONY DIODATI

Dec 22, 2005, 8:11:11 PM12/22/05
Sounds good, I'll try that after christmass

Thanks, Tony D.