Windows 98 freezes temporarily

Richard

Mar 11, 2003, 3:51:54 AM3/11/03
Hi -

I'm running Windows 98 SE, with all relevant Windows
updates and IE6 SP1. When accessing the Internet via ADSL,
the machine frequently 'freezes' for a couple of minutes,
downloading stops and no other functions on the PC can be
accessed.

After a couple of minutes it resumes working without any
problems. Any suggestions as to the cause and the
solution? It's not an ISP related issue.

Thanks

Henri Leboeuf

Mar 11, 2003, 8:38:24 AM3/11/03
Some spywares may be the cause.

Try one of these solutions, one by one.

1) close IE

2) Browse to \winnt\downloaded program files

(or \windows\downloaded program files if you're win9x or me)

3) If there's one there called 'Tracker Class', right
click on it and select Remove.
- otherwise -
right click on all of them and select Remove

Re-start IE and you should be all set.

The problem is likely a spyware ActiveX object ('Tracker
Class') that tries to report your surfing habits to a
server in California. That server has gone down, so it
after *quite* a while, it gives up and gives control back
to IE.

Or:

I looked at ADD/Remove programs for found Surf Choice 1.1
loaded. removed it. It appears to be the program
causing this.

Or:

IE 6.
I might have the solution! Try this: Tools > Internet Options > Advanced >
Browsing
Uncheck the Enable 3rd party browser extensions

If this clears your problem then find out who the culprit is with this tool.
AD-Aware Scan your system for advertising Spyware
This free utility scans your memory, hard drives, and your Registry for
references to ad-related servers from Web3000, Gator, Cydoor,
Radiate/Aureate, Flyswat, Conducent/TimeSink, and CometCursor, Webhancer,
DSSAgent and Alexa.
http://www.lavasoftusa.com

Or:

http://www.mvps.org/inetexplorer/answers3.htm#freezing

Or:

There is a case of the browser hanging for several seconds. I am a sufferer
of this problem.
So, I set out to fix it. Found a little solution:

Hit Alt+Ctrl+Del
See if there's a program called "Msbb"
Highlight it, then click "End Task"
http://www.mvps.org/inetexplorer/Darnit.htm#msbb

msbb is also covered in this article.
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=320162
Internet Explorer Stops Responding or the Home Page Takes a Long Time to
Open

--

Henri Leboeuf

"Richard" <rwat...@hotmail.com> wrote in message