Query about limitation of files per folder in FAT32 File System

Remittag

May 2, 2006, 9:58:03 AM5/2/06
Gentlemen!

We wish to put forward a query about the FAT 32 and NTFS File Systems as
follows:-

We have a program on a computer running on Windows 98 Second Edition with
FAT32 File System. In it, we get an error, if the number of files in a folder
exceeds 32,767. We wish to clarify whether this is an Operating System issue
or a File System issue. If this is a File System issue, then we would request
you to provide us with the limitations of number of files per folder in the
FAT32 and NTFS File Systems. And if this is a Operating System issue, then we
would require the limitations of number of files per folder depending on the
different Operating Systems like Windows 98, Windows Me, Windows 2000,
Windows XP, etc.

Regards,

Remittag Team
--
Remittag Software Company Pvt. Ltd.

Tim Slattery

May 2, 2006, 12:51:48 PM5/2/06
Remittag <in...@remittag.com.(donotspam)> wrote:

>We have a program on a computer running on Windows 98 Second Edition with
>FAT32 File System. In it, we get an error, if the number of files in a folder
>exceeds 32,767. We wish to clarify whether this is an Operating System issue
>or a File System issue.

It's a file system issue. A directory in the FAT32 file system can
contain up to 65,536 entries. Each file or subdirectory in the
directory will use from one to thirteen entries, depending on the
length of the file name. Apparently each of your file names take two
entries.

The NTFS file system has no limit on the number of files or
subdirectories in a directory. It does have a limit of 4,294,967,295
files per partition.

--
Tim Slattery
MS MVP(DTS)