Error starting program

anon...@discussions.microsoft.com

Apr 11, 2004, 10:51:07 PM4/11/04
After I restarted my computer and tried to log on an
error message stated "A required .DLL file,
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEMS\MSVCRT.DLL was not found. I clicked
ok and then the computer locks. Can anyone help me?

Alan Edwards

Apr 11, 2004, 11:26:24 PM4/11/04
Extract a copy from your CD.
How to Extract Original Compressed Windows Files [Q129605]
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q129/6/05.asp

...Alan

--
Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
http://dts-l.org/index.html

In microsoft.public.win98.apps, <anon...@discussions.microsoft.com>

David John

Apr 27, 2004, 11:59:53 PM4/27/04
Hi Alan,

I've been having persistent problems with spyward and hijackers, but
they've so far dodged my most dogged attempts to destroy them. I've
sought help online, posted log files (with HijackThis, but somehow the
program is no longer responsive thanks to my faulty installation
procedure).

I had what I thought to be an unrelated problem -- one of system
resources being dangerously low, and so I began to work with msconfig,
turning on whole groups of startup processes. I noticed, however, that
one box within the startup programs group kept TURNING ITSELF ON --
the P2P NETWORKING element.

So, you know those checkboxes you turn 'em all off. Well, every time I
restarted with several unchecked, it just checked itself upon reboot
(showing a grey checkmark). So I looked beyond the tab and found that
P2P networking had turned itself on.

By pasting that line into a Google groups search, I stumbled across
this discussion. I was impressed with what you told Adrian, as it
looked like what I was looking for: strange startup phenomena.

I have followed your directions and post here what's happening at
startup. Can you advise?

Your instructions, which I followed (results below)

Start-Run-msinfo32
>Click the + beside Software Environment to expand.
>Click Startup Programs
>Ctrl+A to Select All, Ctrl+C to Copy.
>Paste that information in your message.

RESULTS (THE LINE BREAKS ARE MINE, FOR CLARITY):

$EnterNet c:\progra~1\sympat~1\access~1\app\enternet.exe
-autostart All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

*StateMgr c:\windows\system\restore\statemgr.exe All
Users HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices

AdaptecDirectCD "c:\program files\adaptec\easy cd creator
5\directcd\directcd.exe" All
Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

Advanced Tools Check c:\progra~1\norton~1\advtools\advchk.exe All
Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

ALUAlert c:\program files\symantec\liveupdate\alunotify.exe .DEFAULT HKU\.DEFAULT\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

ATI Launchpad "c:\program files\ati
multimedia\main\launchpd.exe" .DEFAULT HKU\.DEFAULT\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

AtiCwd32 aticwd32.exe All
Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

ATIGART c:\ati\gart\atigart.exe All
Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

AtiPTA atiptaaa.exe All
Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

AtiQiPcl atiqipcl.exe All
Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

ccApp "c:\program files\common files\symantec shared\ccapp.exe" All
Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

ccEvtMgr "c:\program files\common files\symantec
shared\ccevtmgr.exe" All
Users HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices

ccRegVfy "c:\program files\common files\symantec
shared\ccregvfy.exe" All
Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

Hidserv hidserv.exe run All
Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

ICSMGR icsmgr.exe All
Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

LexmarkPrinTray printray.exe All
Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

LexStart lexstart.exe All
Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

LoadPowerProfile rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,loadcurrentpwrscheme All
Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

LoadPowerProfile rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,loadcurrentpwrscheme All
Users HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices

LoadQM loadqm.exe All
Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

LXSUPMON c:\windows\system\lxsupmon.exe run All
Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

Microsoft Office c:\progra~1\micros~1\office10\osa.exe -b
-l .DEFAULT Startup

Mozilla Quick Launch "c:\program files\netscape\netscape\netscp.exe"
-turbo .DEFAULT HKU\.DEFAULT\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

NPROTECT c:\progra~1\norton~1\advtools\nprotect.exe All
Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

NPROTECT c:\progra~1\norton~1\advtools\nprotect.exe All
Users HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices

Omnipage c:\program files\scansoft\omnipagese\opware32.exe All
Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

OWNS FRAG c:\progra~1\audiob~1\ooze view.exe All
Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

P2P NETWORKING c:\windows\system\p2p networking\p2p networking.exe
/autostart All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

PCHealth c:\windows\pchealth\support\pchschd.exe -s All
Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

Reminder c:\program files\microsoft
money\system\reminder.exe .DEFAULT HKU\.DEFAULT\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

ScanRegistry c:\windows\scanregw.exe /autorun All
Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

SchedulingAgent mstask.exe All
Users HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices

ScriptBlocking "c:\program files\common files\symantec shared\script
blocking\sbserv.exe" -reg All
Users HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices

StillImageMonitor c:\windows\system\stimon.exe All
Users HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices

System Update c:\windows\system\taskman.exe .DEFAULT HKU\.DEFAULT\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

SystemTray systray.exe All
Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

TaskMonitor c:\windows\taskmon.exe All
Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

Yahoo! Pager c:\progra~1\yahoo!\messen~1\ypager.exe
-quiet .DEFAULT HKU\.DEFAULT\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

Alan Edwards

Apr 28, 2004, 2:27:19 AM4/28/04
Hi David John

You obviously are not running Win98 but never mind.
Line breaks are a good idea.
I can only see three questionable items and have removed the rest from
my reply.

Did you install P2P Networking yourself? I am not too familiar with
file sharing applications like P2P, KaZaa etc. except they seem to
come loaded with scumware. Have you tried Ad-Aware to get rid of it?

System Update with taskman.exe looks like this virus:
http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/analyses/trojautotrojb.html
or:
http://www.trendmicro.com/vinfo/virusencyclo/default5.asp?VName=TROJ_SMALL.X
or
http://hq.mcafeeasap.com/dispTrojan.asp?virus_k=101129

No idea what the "owns frag" using ooze view.exe is.

...Alan

--
Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
http://dts-l.org/index.html

>OWNS FRAG c:\progra~1\audiob~1\ooze view.exe All

>Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
>
>P2P NETWORKING c:\windows\system\p2p networking\p2p networking.exe
>/autostart All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

David John

Apr 28, 2004, 10:57:45 AM4/28/04
> Did you install P2P Networking yourself? I am not too familiar with
> file sharing applications like P2P, KaZaa etc. except they seem to
> come loaded with scumware. Have you tried Ad-Aware to get rid of it?

It's my roommate's machine, he tells me a former roommate installed
Kazaa and he, the machine's owner, then removed all that.

I've tried Ad-Aware, indeed, and Spybot (is that what it's called?),
and both do an impressive job finding problems. But Ad Aware tyically
says something like "unable to remove so-and-so would you like
Ad-Aware to remove so-and-so on next startup?" Naturally, I click Yes.
But on startup, Ad-Aware is not running, has not run, and has not,
consequently, removed so-and-so. Thus I try again, same thing.

So what that means, is it's running in active memory or some-such.
Indeed, P2P is there in the registry with an autostart function, even
though Kazaa has been removed.

Hijack This! produces lovely registry-level logs, enabling removal at
the source. And this helped me get rid of allaboutsearching.com's
hijacker, and maybe others. But I made an error in installing it
twice, then I removed one instance of it, but the remaining instance
freezes up, trapping log results in a window I can't scroll.

I think it's probably a good time to reformat and reinstall.

Apologies for not posting in a ME group. More neglect of my
whereabouts than rudeness, I assure.

DJ

JW Birdsong

Apr 28, 2004, 2:22:13 PM4/28/04
KaZaa can be a son-of-a-GUN to get rid of; try KaZaaBeGone from here
http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/downloads.html on the bottom of the
page...make sure to read all warnings and get the LSPfix (same
link)...Hopefully it will clean some more garbage out for you
--
Best of luck
Jack
"David John" <st...@canada.com> wrote in message

David John

Apr 30, 2004, 12:16:23 AM4/30/04
Yes, that did quite a bit, I think. Kazaa did result in quite a few
lines disappearing. I'm happy with the step forward.

I still have P2P on startup (I know cause when I ended up hanging,
task manager showed it to be running), and it's nasty. Zestyfind or
some such hijacker is still there. But I'll ask the good folks at
Merjin if they can't help me uninstall, and then I'll try the
HijackThis route again!

Thanks again,

PS Mr Edwards: I did not have success finding taskman.exe to be a
virus. It may well be, but the Norton virusscan passed over it (and I
updated the scan).

Alan Edwards

Apr 30, 2004, 2:13:35 AM4/30/04
I thought it strange that I couldn't find a Symantec reference.
Get a second opinion with a different AV scan as other AVs seem to be
aware of it.
I hope you have disabled it as taskman.exe in the System folder as it
shows in your listing definitely indicates a virus. The real one
should be in the Windows folder.

...Alan

--
Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
http://dts-l.org/index.html

Alan

Apr 30, 2004, 2:03:15 PM4/30/04
On boot, windows 98 starts and everything apprears to be
normal except for the error windows that says:

Error starting program
A required .DLL file, MSVCP60.DLL, was not found.

When I click OK, the computer runs, but very very slowly.

What does this file do?

How is the best way to get it back?

Thanks,

Alan

Isaac

May 1, 2004, 6:45:04 AM5/1/04
"Alan" <acap...@yahoo.com> wrote in news:6b9801c42edd$691a06e0
$a301...@phx.gbl:

It's a part of MS C runtime. You can download a copy at
http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?msvcp60.

But it's strange that the error occurs. Every program needing this files
should install it, as it is no part of Win98. Maybe you got some
spyware/virusses? Check with msconfig (Start->Run->msconfig tab startup)
if there are any strange programs starting.

Isaac