MS RegClean Hangs

1 view

Gombay

Nov 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/9/00
Hello

Last week I used this program, there was not any problem.
This week I downloaded several software and tried them.
I did not like them, so I deleted them using add/remove in Control panel.

Yesterday I ran this Regclean, then encountered the problem.

Program started as normal.
Everythig went well.
Finished "Scanning class identifiers for errors".
Then "Scanning Type library identities for error" started
About 80%, this program hang, I waited for several minutes.
Nothing happened so I had to shut down this program.

I downloaded the Regclean , and tried again.
Still hang at the same point.

My system is Windows 95, 40Meg, 2.0 G HD.
Regclean 4.1a (build 7364.1)

Any help will be appreciated.

Regards

Gombay

Lindee Sorrells

Nov 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/9/00
WOW, am I glad to see this! I thought I had finally gone around the bend!

Mine worked a couple weeks ago and this week - same problem as you!

Hope someone has some idea why!

Lindee

Gombay

Nov 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/9/00
Dear Alan

Thanks for help.

I followed your instruction.
Problem was solved.
Now my Regclean is working again.

Regards

Gombay

Alan Edwards

Nov 9, 2000, 6:08:42 PM11/9/00
Try running RegClean with a command-line argument:
REGCLEAN /L

This will create a log file (called RegClean.LOG) in the same
directory as RegClean. It will be a *very* large text file.
When it stalls, open up RegClean.log in a good text editor or Wordpad.
See if you can pick an error. If it is not obvious, then post the last
12 lines and someone may spot the fault.

It will probably stop at a line like this:
HELPDIR = " ???k"

Use Regedit.exe (Start-Run-Regedit)
Search for that string (Edit-Find or Ctrl+F) and when you find it,
highlight the HELPDIR key in the left-hand pane, rightclick and Delete
and confirm the deletion.
Press F3 to search again. There will be two or three such strings.
Delete as you did the first one.
Note: Don't have the "match whole string only" box ticked when doing
the search for the culprit string.

An alternative is to search for HELPDIR in Regedit and keep on
pressing F3 until you find the first one that is obviously wrong. Any
others will be close by.
Mine was no. 74 of 191 occurrences, so this can take a while in
Regedit.

If this seems a huge task, then the easy way out is to not run
Regclean. It is not essential.

...Alan
--
Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems

In microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion, "Gombay"

Alan Edwards

Nov 9, 2000, 6:09:05 PM11/9/00

In microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion, "Lindee Sorrells"

Lindee Sorrells

Nov 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/10/00
Alan,

Thanks so much - works like a magic charm!!

Running smooth again!

Lindee

Evelyn

Nov 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/10/00
What instructions?
Ev

"Gombay" <gom...@cadvision.com> wrote in message

Gombay

Nov 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/10/00

Evelyn <eve...@woolston.greatxscape.net> wrote in message
> What instructions?
> Ev

Alan Edwards instruction on this thread.

...Alan

Regards

Gombay

Alan Edwards

Nov 10, 2000, 5:05:56 PM11/10/00
Evelyn,

You may get the whole thread if you use msnews.microsoft.com as a
server instead of your ISP's feed.
Perhaps it has missed your ISP but it was in this thread twice (once
to Gombay and once to Lindee)
I see Gombay has reposted the instructions.

...Alan
--
Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems

In microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion, "Evelyn"

Evelyn

Nov 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/11/00
Thanks, I'll hang on to this info.