AntiVirus for Windows 95

W Johnson

Jan 10, 2005, 10:32:57 AM1/10/05
Just in case anyone else is looking, I have found the following Antivirus
products that will work with Windows 95 all of which have good reputations:

NOD32 (based on KAV) http://www.nod32.com/

Microworld Escan http://www.mwti.net (minimum Pentium with 32-64 MB RAM for
basic Antivirus, 64 MB for security suite with email scanning)

Fprot http://www.f-prot.com/ Free DOS command line scanner (Windows version
may work, ambiguous info from their site "Because F-Prot Antivirus for
Windows is designed to use the absolute minimum of your system's resources,
the program runs on any computer running the Windows 98 Operating system or
later. F-Prot Antivirus for Windows requires Microsoft Internet Explorer
version 4.0 or later for successful installation and updating of virus
signature files. This is of particular note to users of Windows 95 and
Windows NT who may have earlier versions of Internet Explorer installed."

Cheers,

Will

ForestSpirit

Jan 15, 2005, 3:16:23 PM1/15/05

Please keep adding to this thread as you find more antivirus programs for
Windows 95.

I need an antivirus program for a Win95a laptop (preferably free but I'll
consider shareware versions). It is a Compaq LTE5100.

This antivirus is needed very soon. I am about to attempt an Internet
Explorer and Outlook Express repair on my WinMe desktop computer. In case of
problems during the fixes and I can't get IE/OE back, this Win95 laptop can
access the Internet temporarily so I can get on the web, get email, and
access the newsgroups. I would feel more comfortable if this machine had
some kind of antivirus protection.

The early version of the operating system, low memory, slow processor speed,
and the fact that it has no CD drive may limit my options. I believe it has
DUN 1.4 and the Winsock y2k update, but I'm not sure. Is there any way to
check? Here are the specs.

Windows 95a
Version 4.00.950a
Pentium I, 90Mhz
24MB RAM
1GB hard drive (628MB free)
IE 5.00.2919.630715
IE 261255;269368;265258;254902;248120
OE 5.00.2919.6600
DirectX 8.0a
Floppy drive
No CDROM drive
No USB capability (USB requires 32-bit CardBus)
16-bit PCMCIA slots (not 32-bit CardBus)
Motorola Mariner 28k data/fax/lan modem 10/100 combo card (high-speed DSL
access)

The laptop is connected to my WinMe PC through a network. It can access the
DSL and hardware firewall of my router, so the laptop's 28k dial-up modem is
not needed except for the LAN part of it. This Win95 computer has no
protection aside from the router's hardware firewall. It's generally not
used for Internet except as a backup.

Norton AntiVirus (or Norton SystemWorks) requires Win95b or higher. Ad-Aware
will not work on this PC either because it requires Win98 or higher. Spybot
will work, but it is not installed. I want to see how much disk space is
left after antivirus is installed. The largest program on the laptop is
Office 97, which is essential. It also has Acrobat Reader 4.0, WinZip 6.2,
XnView 1.70.4, a few small icon programs, an address book program, and some
third-party system tools.

In order to install Office 97, I cannot remember if I installed it from 41
disks or if I copied the CDROM through the network to the laptop's hard
drive and installed it from there. If the latter, I deleted the CD files
after install to recover disk space, so if my Office installation ever needs
to use a feature that's not currently installed, I am out of luck.

The MicroWorld Escan program mentioned below will not work on my system, not
enough memory. F-Prot for DOS may have a problem also because its files and
definitions won't fit on a single floppy, and I have no CD drive. I have
written to their support to ask about a workaround for that. I have written
to NOD32 to ask them about their system requirements.

Please keep adding to this thread as you find more antivirus programs for
Windows 95, hopefully I'll find one for Win95a that will work with my
system.

"W Johnson" <gandu...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

W Johnson

Jan 17, 2005, 12:36:16 AM1/17/05
"ForestSpirit" <seamaid24...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> Please keep adding to this thread as you find more antivirus programs for
> Windows 95.
>
> I need an antivirus program for a Win95a laptop (preferably free but I'll
> consider shareware versions). It is a Compaq LTE5100.

try Antivir http://www.free-av.com/ , maybe you can use Winzip to split it
into floppy disks?

Will

ForestSpirit

Jan 17, 2005, 3:47:09 AM1/17/05
Thanks! I will look at that one. If there are other options, I'd still like
to hear about them.

"W Johnson" <gandu...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

W Johnson

Jan 17, 2005, 10:19:47 AM1/17/05
You could d/l trials of Etrust EZ Antivirus or EZ Armor (inc. Zone Alarm Pro
4.5 firewall) which I find use the least resources so may work on your
system:
http://www.my-etrust.com/
Looking at your 1st post again I'm not sure why you need to worry about
floppy disks - could you just d/l the files to the WinMe computer then
transmit over the network? It may that spyware would be more of a threat to
you than viruses so you could try Spywareguard (real time) and
SpywareBlaster (restricts sites). Also download Opera for a safer
alternative to IE and OE http://www.opera.com/download/ .

Will

"ForestSpirit" <seamaid24...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

ForestSpirit

Jan 17, 2005, 10:28:29 AM1/17/05
Here is another AntiVirus for Windows 95. It requires 32MB RAM. (My laptop
only has 24MB.) There is a free version, a paid version, and a DOS version.

Avast! 4.5 Home Edition (free)
--------------------------------

SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS
For a computer with 95/98/Windows Me: PC 486, 32 MB RAM, 50 MB of free hard
disk space

For a computer with Windows NT 4.0: PC 486, 24 MB RAM, 50 MB of free hard
disk space, Service Pack 3 and higher installed

For a computer with Windows 2000/XP: PC Pentium, 64 MB RAM (128 MB
recommended), 50 MB of free hard disk space

The program itself requires about 20 MB hard disk space, the rest is
reserved for the virus recovery database file and its index (VRDB, also
known as the "integrity database" from the previous version).

A functional MS Internet Explorer 4 or higher is required for the program to
work.

This product cannot be installed on a server operating system (Windows
NT/2000/2003 Server families).

Avast! 4.5 Pro Edition ($39.95+)
---------------------------
-enhanced user interface
-includes a scriptblocker
-PUSH updates
-command line scanner

SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS
For a computer with 95/98/Windows Me: PC 486, 32 MB RAM, 50 MB of free hard
disk space

For a computer with Windows NT 4.0: PC 486, 24 MB RAM, 50 MB of free hard
disk space, Service Pack 3 and higher installed

For a computer with Windows 2000/XP Workstation (No Server): PC Pentium, 64
MB RAM (128 MB recommended), 50 MB of free hard disk space

The program itself requires about 20 MB hard disk space, the rest is
reserved for the virus recovery database file and its index (VRDB, also
known as the "integrity database" from the previous version).

A functional MS Internet Explorer 4 or higher is required for the program to
work.

This product cannot be installed on a server operating system (Windows
NT/2000/2003 Server families).

Avast! 7.7 for DOS (DOS,3.x)
--------------------

W Johnson

Jan 17, 2005, 10:56:29 AM1/17/05
Hi
In practice I have found that Etrust uses less resources than Avast, I
think Avast would be painfully slow on your system (although they say
minimum 32 MB RAM it may work with less).

Will

"ForestSpirit" <seamaid24...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

ForestSpirit

Jan 17, 2005, 11:02:27 AM1/17/05
AVG Antivirus 7.0 (Win95-XP).
http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_index.php

AVG has fewer features than Avast! AVG has a free edition and a Pro edition
($33.30). Outlook is the only mail
client supported in the free version, not compatible with Outlook Express.
Plugins for specific email clients are available in the Pro version. Free
version has virtually no support. Email support is only for Pro users.

Minimal hardware configuration which can be used for AVG installation is a
PC with 486, 32 MB RAM memory and 15 MB free space on the hard drive.

ForestSpirit

Jan 17, 2005, 3:09:31 PM1/17/05
I will check it out. Thanks for letting me know.

There is a link in the Microsoft Security for a free trial versions of
various antivirus software.
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/windowsxp/antivirus.aspx

FREE ANTIVIRUS TRIALS:
Computer Associates (12-month free trial)
http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=1237002
F-secure (6-month free trial)
http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=1237003
McAfee (90-day free trial)
http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=1237011
Panda Software (90-day free trial)
http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=1237005
Symantec (90-day free trial)
http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=1237006
Trend Micro (90-day free trial)
http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=1237007

"W Johnson" <gandu...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

glee

Jan 18, 2005, 12:08:54 AM1/18/05
Although AVG 7 states it is compatible with Win95, I have found it works poorly, if
at all, on that platform.
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"ForestSpirit" <seamaid24...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

ForestSpirit

Jan 18, 2005, 4:27:13 PM1/18/05
Opera is adware. The free version comes with ads. It costs $39 to register
and get rid of them. I don't know if Opera has spyware too or just adware.
You can download Opera with or without Java support. There is a page that
compares Opera to IE. I do not know whether Opera is better than IE at this
point, but I do think it's mail/news client, M2, is not as good as Outlook
Express.

Opera's built-in email client, M2, can receive HTML emails but cannot send
HTML. That means you cannot use stationeries, text formatting, or
create/reply/forward HTML messages. It can receive HTML incoming mail, but
all outgoing mail is plain text only. I am not certain how to back up
mail/news messages in M2 or if it is possible to import them into a new
installation.

Another alternative browser is Mozilla Firefox, but I have not had time to
evaluate that one yet.

"W Johnson" <gandu...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Jerry

Feb 3, 2005, 6:00:13 PM2/3/05
Just a thought, run temporarily without protection and then when you get
your other PC running, and it's AV running, just do a "network drive" scan
of your Laptop. I know both Mcafee and Norton will do this, I am not sure
that the AVG free version is capable of doing a manual scan.

--
Jerry