EnumProtocols() does not work on Windows Vista and Windows

Boris Verkhovykh

Mar 4, 2008, 6:24:00 AM3/4/08
I know it is "old" API but both platforms are listed as supported here:

In fact EnumProtocols() always returns -1 and GetLastError() always returns
ERROR_INVALID_DATATYPE (0x0000070C == 1804) regardless from the supplied
parameters.

As a result of this, for example, Exchange 2007 "new mail notification" does
not work - API fails and Exchange does not send UDP packets as expected.

Stephen Griffin [MSFT]

Apr 4, 2008, 11:02:01 AM4/4/08
Boris,
I can repro this here. I'm curious how you made the connection between this
API and Exchange's notifications? (The connection is real - just wondering
how you figured it out...)

Steve

"Boris Verkhovykh" <BorisVe...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:0B189158-8670-4CC0...@microsoft.com...

Boris Verkhovykh

Apr 4, 2008, 12:09:04 PM4/4/08
Stephen,

Our developers are very experienced in "low-level" programming for Exchange.
We have found that notifications do not work when Exchange 2007 is installed
on Windows 2008. So we just traced the call, which should generate a
notification, down into Exchange and saw the internal exception (Exchange
does not expect EnumProtocols to fail). Only then we have discovered that
this API does not work in general.
Hope it helps.

Boris

Stephen Griffin [MSFT]

Apr 4, 2008, 1:35:45 PM4/4/08
Cool - I'm building a case for getting this fixed, so the more impact I can
get the better. What symptoms were you seeing that led you to investigate
this? Were their API calls failing? Performance issues? Higher network
traffic? Thanks!

"Boris Verkhovykh" <BorisVe...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in

message news:09790F37-DDE8-4FD1...@microsoft.com...

Boris Verkhovykh

Apr 4, 2008, 1:56:00 PM4/4/08
The most obvious "victim" is Outlook: you do not see new mail until you
manually refresh the Inbox or until Outlook refreshes it in background (just
once every 5 minutes and only if it is open).
Our software also uses new mail notification mechanism to avoid periodic
mailbox scanning.
I do not know all technical details, but I can ask our developers for more
info if you wish.
Good luck in pushing the case!

Stephen Griffin [MSFT]

Apr 4, 2008, 5:45:09 PM4/4/08
Do you see the problem when Outlook 2007 as the client? I've been able to
get Outlook 2003 to switch to polling, but not yet with Outlook 2007. Do you
know if your application is using Outlook's MAPI or Exchange's MAPI?

Yes - any details you can provide will help me build my case (same goes for
others seeing this - speak up!). Thanks!

Steve

"Boris Verkhovykh" <BorisVe...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in

message news:E8354905-0BBE-4352...@microsoft.com...

Dan Sheehan

Apr 8, 2008, 4:32:53 PM4/8/08
On Apr 4, 1:56 pm, Boris Verkhovykh
<BorisVerkhov...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> The most obvious "victim" is Outlook: you do not see newmailuntil you

> manually refresh the Inbox or until Outlook refreshes it in background (just
> once every 5 minutes and only if it is open).
> Our software also uses newmailnotification mechanism to avoid periodic

> mailbox scanning.
> I do not know all technical details, but I can ask our developers for more
> info if you wish.
> Good luck in pushing the case!
>

> "Stephen Griffin [MSFT]" wrote:
> > Cool - I'm building a case for getting this fixed, so the more impact I can
> > get the better. What symptoms were you seeing that led you to investigate
> > this? Were their API calls failing? Performance issues? Higher network
> > traffic? Thanks!- Hide quoted text -

I have to ask the dumb question - have you ruled out the Windows 2008
firewall? I.E. Have you turned it off to ensure the Windows 2008
firewall which watches inbound and outbound connections isn't getting
in the way?

Thanks!
Dan Sheehan
MCSE 2003 + Messaging

Stephen Griffin [MSFT]

Apr 8, 2008, 5:54:18 PM4/8/08
It's not the firewall - the function is broken - essentially it autofails
without doing any work.

"Dan Sheehan" <shee...@sheehans.org> wrote in message

Dan Sheehan

Apr 8, 2008, 6:29:03 PM4/8/08
On Apr 8, 5:54 pm, "Stephen Griffin [MSFT]"

<sgrif...@online.microsoft.com> wrote:
> It's not the firewall - the function is broken - essentially it autofails
> without doing any work.
>
> "Dan Sheehan" <sheeh...@sheehans.org> wrote in message
> MCSE 2003 + Messaging- Hide quoted text -

Ok - sorry I knew it was a dumb question. ;-)

I have another one though. I am pretty sure MSFT is running some of
their own production Exchange servers on Windows 2008. If so how have
the MSFT workforce not noticed the change in the new mail notification
process?

Thanks!
Dsn Sheehan
MCSE 2003 + Messaging

Stephen Griffin [MSFT]

Apr 9, 2008, 9:51:56 AM4/9/08
Outlook 2007 doesn't appear to register for notifications in the same way.
Cached mode would also be less impacted. However - if anyone *can* reproduce
problems with Outlook 2007 connecting to one of these servers I'd love to
hear details.

Steve

"Dan Sheehan" <shee...@sheehans.org> wrote in message

Dan Sheehan

May 2, 2008, 9:06:58 AM5/2/08
On Apr 9, 9:51 am, "Stephen Griffin [MSFT]"
<sgrif...@online.microsoft.com> wrote:
> Outlook2007doesn't appear to register fornotificationsin the same way.

> Cached mode would also be less impacted. However - if anyone *can* reproduce
> problems with Outlook2007connecting to one of these servers I'd love to
> hear details.
>
> Steve

Can you provide any information on how Outlook 2007 registers for new
mail notifications differently than Outlook 2003? As far as I knew, it
was just a mutually agreed upon UDP port assignment (which usually
causes havoc with Windows XP and later firewalls being on by default).

Additionally even if Outlook 2007 handles it differently, would MSFT
still be likely to address this Exchange Application <-> Windows 2008
interaction issue on behalf of older clients such as Outlook 2003?

Thanks!