Hardware Acceleration disable in code?

Scott Bussinger

Nov 14, 2002, 12:38:25 PM11/14/02
It's possible to disable all hardware video acceleration in Windows using
settings in the video properties (e.g. in Win2000 it's Display
Properties|Settings|Advanced|Troubleshooting). What are the equivalent API
calls to accomplish this?

I've been looking all over the place in MSDN.MICROSOFT.COM and in the Google
News archives and the question's been asked many times but never answered.
The Camtasia screen recording software has an option to do this so I know
it's possible. Surely someone must know the magic API name to accomplish
this.

Note that I want to control the overall Hardware Video Acceleration, not
just control it for a particular application. My intent for this is to
incorporate it into the VNC remote control software -- turning off hardware
acceleration while a remote control session is running. Doing this vastly
speeds up the VNC software and video acceleration makes no sense during such
a session anyway (the network connection will always limit the speed much
more than hardware acceleration anyway). But this is why it has to be the
system-wide setting -- so that all applications are affected by it.

Help! Sample code would be great, but mostly I just need a pointer to the
right API function.

John Hornick [MS]

Nov 14, 2002, 1:40:16 PM11/14/02

There is no GDI API for this. I think you can disable h/w acceleration
system-wide for DirectX, but that would be a topic for a directx newsgroup.

Thanks,
- John
Microsoft Developer Support
Visit http://www.microsoft.com/security for current information on security.

Scott Bussinger

Nov 14, 2002, 9:40:02 PM11/14/02
> There is no GDI API for this. I think you can disable h/w acceleration
> system-wide for DirectX, but that would be a topic for a directx
newsgroup.

I wasn't sure whose API it would be, so I asked there too. <smile> No bites
so far though.

Thanks!