Managed DirectX samples no longer in SDK?

----

Oct 14, 2008, 4:58:08 AM10/14/08
The Aug 2008 SDK does not install any managed samples. I did a search
through the entire folder tree... nothing matching *.cs. Why? Is
there now a separate add-on to the SDK?

Richard [Microsoft Direct3D MVP]

Oct 14, 2008, 10:23:20 PM10/14/08

---- <----@nospam.com> spake the secret code
<lln8f4t69tcf930bh...@4ax.com> thusly:

>The Aug 2008 SDK does not install any managed samples.

I don't think the SDK has installed managed samples for quite some time.
Managed DirectX, as an API, is deprecated and has been removed from the
SDK. If you need to talk to DirectX through a managed API, I recommend
SlimDX or the XNA Framework. The former is an open source thin wrapper
around the DirectX APIs, similar in philosophy to Managed DirectX. The
latter is an API targeting game creation. You can use it for more than
games, but its core use case is gaming.

Oct 16, 2008, 12:40:12 AM10/16/08
On Tue, 14 Oct 2008 19:23:20 -0700, legaliz...@mail.xmission.com
(Richard [Microsoft Direct3D MVP]) wrote:

>[Please do not mail me a copy of your followup]
>
>---- <----@nospam.com> spake the secret code
><lln8f4t69tcf930bh...@4ax.com> thusly:
>
>>The Aug 2008 SDK does not install any managed samples.
>
>I don't think the SDK has installed managed samples for quite some time.
>Managed DirectX, as an API, is deprecated and has been removed from the
>SDK. If you need to talk to DirectX through a managed API, I recommend
>SlimDX or the XNA Framework. The former is an open source thin wrapper
>around the DirectX APIs, similar in philosophy to Managed DirectX. The
>latter is an API targeting game creation. You can use it for more than
>games, but its core use case is gaming.

Thanks for your reply, Richard. The managed samples were there in
2007 (the last SDK that I had loaded).

I'm surprised to hear that they're deprecated. Why? There are many
places where C# works fine with DirectX. And it seems like sort of a
tacit admission that C#/managed code is not fast enough for realtime.

Armin Zingler

Oct 16, 2008, 7:34:15 AM10/16/08
"--" <--@spammersmustdie.com> schrieb

> I'm surprised to hear that they're deprecated. Why? There are many
> places where C# works fine with DirectX. And it seems like sort of a
> tacit admission that C#/managed code is not fast enough for realtime.

As it's been discussed here pretty often in the past years, also with
Richard, I only provide a link:
http://groups.google.de/group/microsoft.public.win32.programmer.directx.managed/search?q=deprecated&start=0&scoring=d&

Armin

Richard [Microsoft Direct3D MVP]

Oct 16, 2008, 4:02:35 PM10/16/08

-- <--@spammersmustdie.com> spake the secret code
<i7hdf4l9ss10jl1p4...@4ax.com> thusly:

>I'm surprised to hear that they're deprecated. Why?

You'll have to ask Microsoft. Knowing why doesn't change the fact that
it is deprecated. You still have to deal with it.