program error

marsha

Apr 5, 2004, 10:23:50 PM4/5/04
I KEEP GETTING AN ERROR MESSAGE THAT SAY 'WinMGMT.exe has
generated errors and will be closed by Windows. You will
need to restart the program.' HAVE NO IDEA WHAT IT
MEANS. I CANNOT FIND ANY PROGRAM THAT HAS WINMGNT TO
RESTART. WHAT TO DO?

Diana Smith [MSFT]

Apr 7, 2004, 3:39:00 PM4/7/04
Hello Marsha,

Please
SYMPTOMS
========
When you start your computer, you may receive the following error message:

Winmgmt.exe has generated errors and will be closed by Windows. You will
need to restart the program. An error log is being created.

The error message appears approximately every 30 seconds.

CAUSE
=====
This behavior can occur if files in the
%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem\Repository folder become corrupted. The error
message appears repeatedly because Winmgmt.exe polls the files every 30 to
60 seconds.

RESOLUTION
==========
To resolve this behavior, delete and then re-create the files in the
%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem\Repository folder:

1. On the Desktop, right-click My Computer, and then click Manage.

2. Under Services and Applications, click Services, and then turn off
and stop the Windows Management Instrumentation service.

3. Delete all of the files that are in the
%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem\Repository folder. (Make a backup copy
before you delete the files.)

4. Open Services and Applications, click Services, and then turn on and
start the Windows Management Instrumentation service. The files are
recreated when the service restarts based on the information provided in the
following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WBEM\CIMOM\Autorecover MOFs

NOTE: Some programs will not add their Managed Object Format (MOF) files to
this list, in this case, rebuilding the WMI database may cause those
programs to generate errors or fail and may require more troubleshooting of
their specific WMI requirements.

Thank You.

Diana

"marsha" <anon...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message