Win2003 Network logon problem

DonD

Sep 6, 2004, 12:21:33 AM9/6/04
I have a server running Windows 2003, and several workstations running
Windowx XP. Last Monday, the workstations suddenly could not access
the server without an id/password. Once given, everything is great
until a reboot requires a repeat. What setting in 2K3 should I reset
to stop this authentication?

Steven L Umbach

Sep 6, 2004, 2:12:04 PM9/6/04
Is this a Active Directory Domain?? If so most problems are dns related. Check the
Event Viewer on the server for any event ID's that may provide a clue and see the
link below on how to configure dns for an AD domain.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb%3Ben-us%3B291382

Windows 2003 Server by default also requires SMB signing which sometimes causes
problems. It may be worth to disable it at least temporarily in either the Domain
Controller Security Policy for domain controllers or the Local Security Policy [or
OU ] for a non domain controller in security settings/local policies/security options
where you want to disable digitally sign communications(always) for network
erver. --- Steve

"DonD" <dier...@cox.net> wrote in message

DonD

Sep 6, 2004, 11:21:46 PM9/6/04
Not a domain, just a workgroup with 5 XP Home ed, 1 2000 pro and 2
2003s. It seems to be a problem with the XPs, the 2000 pro doesn't
require the userid/password to access the shared folders on the 2003
server. Tried turning off the digially sign communications and
problem remains. Since most users don't reboot in the mornings, I can
go around and do the login connection for them.

Steven L Umbach

Sep 8, 2004, 12:17:29 AM9/8/04
Are you using guest access on your computers to access the server or do they logon to
their computer and they have a matching logon/password on the server? --- Steve

"DonD" <dier...@cox.net> wrote in message

DonD

Sep 8, 2004, 1:18:19 PM9/8/04
Previously, all they did was log onto their workstations and access to the
server was transparent, no special settings. The folders involved are shared
by "Everyone"

When I first switched from 2000 to 2003 I eliminated this
logon problem within 5 minutes of someone complaining, but I forgot to write
down what I did.

"Steven L Umbach" <n9...@n0-spam-for-me-comcast.net> wrote in message

Steven L Umbach

Sep 8, 2004, 5:03:52 PM9/8/04
If you want users to be able to access the server without using credentials then
there are a couple of things to check.

-- Make sure on the Windows 2003 Server that the guest account is enabled and that
the everyone group is in the user right for access this computer from the network in
Local Group Policy. Everyone permissions are needed for both share and ntfs
permissions. Also for the server in Local Group Policy in security settings/local
policies/security options make sure the security option for Network Access: Let
everyone permissions apply to anonymous users is set to enabled, Network Access: Do
not allow anonymous enumeration of sam accounts and shares is set to disabled. If
you make changes on the server then run gpupdate /target:computer /force on it and
reboot a client computer and try again.

-- If still a no go change the security option for Network Access: Sharing and
security model for local accounts to be "use guest only" if it is not that
already. --- Steve

DonD

Sep 14, 2004, 12:15:53 PM9/14/04
The problem disappeared and I still don't know why. There are so many
switches and settings in Win2003 that I apparently set the right one and
there hasn't been a single logon required on any of the client machines. The
only difference that I can see is that I installed XP SP2 on all the XP
machines.