Better fonts than lucida or raster?

Mark A. Odell

Oct 11, 2001, 7:08:04 PM10/11/01
Anyone know of a better looking command shell (cmd.exe) font than the two
that are presented in the properties->font dialog box? Can I force cmd.exe to
use other fonts? How?

Thanks.

--
- Mark ->

Reinhardt Kern

Oct 11, 2001, 10:04:57 PM10/11/01
"Mark A. Odell" <ma...@foobar.nospam> wrote:

>Anyone know of a better looking command shell (cmd.exe) font than the two
>that are presented in the properties->font dialog box? Can I force cmd.exe to
>use other fonts? How?

To change the property font list replace:

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT \CurrentVersion\Console\
TrueTypeFont\0 = "Lucida Console"

with ...\0 = "My favorite font"

But I don't know how to add further fonts to this list, so it
will show more than 2 entries. :-(

Reinhardt

Reinhardt Kern

Oct 11, 2001, 10:19:54 PM10/11/01
Reinhardt Kern <Reinhar...@gmx.de> wrote:

Now I found out. - A typically Microsoft solution.

If you name the keys "0", "00", "000", "0000" ... you can give as
much non proportional fonts as you like.

The name of the reg key must not contain other chars than "0".

Reinhardt

Mark A. Odell

Oct 11, 2001, 10:30:49 PM10/11/01
Reinhardt Kern <Reinhar...@gmx.de> wrote in

Thank you very much!

A l e x A n g e l o p o u l o s

Oct 12, 2001, 1:41:23 PM10/12/01

"Reinhardt Kern" <Reinhar...@gmx.de> wrote in message

> Now I found out. - A typically Microsoft solution.
>
> If you name the keys "0", "00", "000", "0000" ... you can give as
> much non proportional fonts as you like.
>
> The name of the reg key must not contain other chars than "0".

Are both of you using NT 4?

I can't get this trick to work in XP; and I've notice that neither XP and
2000 both seem to have striccter limits than NT 4 - neither will show Andale
Mono, for example, which WILL show up in NT4 as a 3rd font.

Reinhardt Kern

Oct 12, 2001, 2:52:15 PM10/12/01

>> If you name the keys "0", "00", "000", "0000" ... you can give as
>> much non proportional fonts as you like.
>>
>> The name of the reg key must not contain other chars than "0".
>
>Are both of you using NT 4?
>
>I can't get this trick to work in XP; and I've notice that neither XP and
>2000 both seem to have striccter limits than NT 4 - neither will show Andale
>Mono, for example, which WILL show up in NT4 as a 3rd font.

I'm using Win2000 german. I have to delay my upgrade to XP til I
got drivers for my scanner.

I can use Andale Mono, Courier New, Letter Gothic and Lucida
Console.

Did you try too setting "0" = "Andale Mono" ?

Reinhardt

A l e x A n g e l o p o u l o s

Oct 12, 2001, 4:09:33 PM10/12/01

> Did you try too setting "0" = "Andale Mono" ?
>
> Reinhardt

Reinhardt, old buddy, you're a genius. I had tried a couple of other fonts
(which were apparently NOT compatible) as "00" and "000" entries. Monotype
now shows.

A l e x A n g e l o p o u l o s

Oct 12, 2001, 10:39:51 PM10/12/01
I'm on XP Pro RC2, so YMMV.

What works for me so far:

Andale Monotype
Courier New

A couple of "odd" fonts I've picked up such as an OCR one which has a
built-in OEM character set.

Arbitrary fonts that I tried don't show up in the list. Below is a
scientific wild guess about the reason.

As I understand it, a font MUST have OEM characters to work in CMD shell.
Unfortunately, this is not a sufficient condition in and of itself because
the only fonts I have ever installed that automatically showed up as console
choices were FON fonts - TTF fonts didn't cut it.

What I'm guessing on 2000/XP is that for a font to show up after installing,
either
(a) the font has to be .FON
or, if it is TrueType/OpenType
(b) You have to manually add a registry entry for it per Reinhardt's trick.