Virtual PC 2007 and Linux

William LaMartin

Mar 17, 2007, 5:48:30 PM3/17/07
Never having tried Linux, I thought Virtual PC 2007 would give me the
opportunity. I have tried to create Virtual Machines for Ubuntu,
Debian-31r5 and openSUSE-10.2. I succeeded with Ubuntu and Debian. The
openSuse installation would start and then stop after a few seconds.

Ubuntu was tricky to get installed because of a video problem where the
Virtual monitor turned to gibberish, but once installed with the help of a
page at the Ubuntu site, you had a 1024 x 768 screen inside the Virtual PC.
You also could browse the Internet and set up POP email. The downside was
that I got an error every time I wanted to install additional applications.
The installation process used just one CD iso file.

So I decided to try Debian. That required a starting CD iso file and then
once that was loaded, it went out on the Internet and got at least another
CD worth of stuff and you got to watch all of the file names and things it
was doing in a Command prompt type of window. But there was no problem
viewing everything once you got to the setup part. Basically I was very
impressed with the whole procedure. The downside was that, there is no way
it appears to get better than 800x 600 using this in the Virtual PC
environment. Additionally, to have email you need to do things way beyond
what I wanted to tackle without some written instructions.

Then I decided to download SuSE from Novell. I think it took around three
hours to get the full 3.7 GB. As mentioned, that was to no avail, since I
could never get it to install.

Additionally, there is one problem I am having that occurred in both Ubuntu
and Debian. In some sessions, when I tried to type, I would get double or
triple the same character. It was as if I was holding down the key. Since
it happened in both, I blame Virtual PC and not Linux.

So my question is: Has anyone had a better experience with the above three
Linux distributions that they can share to help me to get Ubuntu able to add
applications, Debian to run in a resolution higher than 800x600 or to just
install SuSE?

Steve Jain

Mar 17, 2007, 6:09:36 PM3/17/07

There should be work-arounds posted previously here or at
http://vpc.visualwin.com/index.aspx

A lot of newer Linux distros (like Ubuntu) use 24bit color, which VPC
doesn't support. There are work-arounds for modifying the setup to
prevent it from using 24bit color (safe mode still uses 24bit color)

--
Cheers,
Steve Jain, Virtual Machine MVP

ronald....@gmail.com

Mar 17, 2007, 7:03:11 PM3/17/07
> There should be work-arounds posted previously here or athttp://vpc.visualwin.com/index.aspx

> A lot of newer Linux distros (like Ubuntu) use 24bit color, which VPC
> doesn't support. There are work-arounds for modifying the setup to
> prevent it from using 24bit color (safe mode still uses 24bit color)
>
> --
> Cheers,
> Steve Jain, Virtual Machine MVPhttp://vpc.essjae.com/

And use virtualization software that actually is developed and
supported to run Linux, like Vmware.

William LaMartin

Mar 17, 2007, 8:20:58 PM3/17/07
Well, I don't plan on spending any money to try out Linux, and I believe
VMware costs a bit less than $200 for the desktop. So, I guess you get what
you pay for. I paid nothing for Virtual PC, and I assume it actually works
with Windows operating systems and plan to eventually test that. But for
Linux--at least on the three distributions I tried, it is not so hot.

Perhaps someone has another flavor of Linux I could try. I really need one
that will provide at least a 1024x768 resolution.

Richard Cardona

Mar 17, 2007, 8:38:25 PM3/17/07
William LaMartin wrote:
> Well, I don't plan on spending any money to try out Linux, and I believe
> VMware costs a bit less than $200 for the desktop. So, I guess you get what
> you pay for. I paid nothing for Virtual PC, and I assume it actually works
> with Windows operating systems and plan to eventually test that. But for
> Linux--at least on the three distributions I tried, it is not so hot.
>
> Perhaps someone has another flavor of Linux I could try. I really need one
> that will provide at least a 1024x768 resolution.

You have a couple of options:

1. Is VMware Server for Windows, which despite it's name runs fine on
desktop OS's with a decent interface.

2. Download LiveCD versions of your Linux distributions: Ubuntu has one,
several others do to. With LiveCD's you reboot and run Linux completely
off a CD/DVD and it does NOT touch your hard drive. When you are done
evaluting Linux you simply reboot, eject your cd/dvd and you're back to
your old system.

Steve Jain

Mar 17, 2007, 8:40:59 PM3/17/07
On Sat, 17 Mar 2007 20:20:58 -0400, "William LaMartin"
<lama...@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:

>Well, I don't plan on spending any money to try out Linux, and I believe
>VMware costs a bit less than $200 for the desktop. So, I guess you get what
>you pay for. I paid nothing for Virtual PC, and I assume it actually works
>with Windows operating systems and plan to eventually test that. But for
>Linux--at least on the three distributions I tried, it is not so hot.
>
>Perhaps someone has another flavor of Linux I could try. I really need one
>that will provide at least a 1024x768 resolution.

Did you read my post? There are solutions available at the website I
posted previously, as well as links previously posted in this
newsgroup.

There are 1069 *nix distros that have been tested and reported to work
in VPC, see http://vpc.visualwin.com

Ubunt has a help page for VPC:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToConfigureUbuntuForMicrosoftVirtualPC2004

You should be able to find similar solutions for SuSe and Debian in
this newsgroup, the website I posted above, or via Google.

Robert Comer

Mar 17, 2007, 8:59:17 PM3/17/07
> Perhaps someone has another flavor of Linux I could try. I really need
> one that will provide at least a 1024x768 resolution.

Just use the VESA driver instead of the S3 Trio driver and you should be
able to get that res and more. Make sure you set the color depth to 16 bit
too.

Microsoft doesn't support Linux on VPC, but it can run it acceptably.

--
Bob Comer <Microsoft MVP Windows - Virtual Machine>

"William LaMartin" <lama...@tampabay.rr.com> wrote in message

Mark Rae

Mar 17, 2007, 9:06:52 PM3/17/07
"William LaMartin" <lama...@tampabay.rr.com> wrote in message

> Perhaps someone has another flavor of Linux I could try. I really need

> one that will provide at least a 1024x768 resolution.

I have both Ubuntu 6.10 and SuSE 10.0 as virtual guests both running at
1152*864. The Virtual Server Additions also work on SuSE 10.0, but not any
subsequent version...

William LaMartin

Mar 17, 2007, 10:07:41 PM3/17/07
I want more than the live CD's because I would like to try to modify the
Linux setup from within Virtual PC. For example to add applications.

"Richard Cardona" <Search....@example.com> wrote in message

William LaMartin

Mar 17, 2007, 10:19:41 PM3/17/07
I have Ubuntu running fine in Virtual PC 2007 except for the inability to
download new applications.

I have also found the DVD iso of version 10.0 of SuSE at an FTP site and am
now downloading it. Perhaps version 10.0 will work better then verison 10.2
and install for me as it did for you.

As regards SuSe, I downloaded Version 10.2--all 3.7 GB, and it would not
install fore (and for others I found with a Google search). I would like
"Mark Rae" <ma...@markNOSPAMrae.com> wrote in message

William LaMartin

Mar 17, 2007, 10:36:05 PM3/17/07
Using the VESA driver I can get no more than 800x600 out of Debian. I
don't recall anything about color depth in the setup. How do I change that?

"Robert Comer" <bobcomer-...@mindspring.com> wrote in message

William LaMartin

Mar 17, 2007, 10:36:31 PM3/17/07
I read our post but missed the link.

I have seen the Ubuntu help page. That is how I managed to install it. But
have found no reason that I can not install new apps.

My solution for SuSE is to try version 10.0 instead of 10.2, since I have
read of others having the exact same problems as I encountered.

"Steve Jain" <noreply.-@-.essjae.com> wrote in message

> On Sat, 17 Mar 2007 20:20:58 -0400, "William LaMartin"

Pavel A.

Mar 17, 2007, 11:16:04 PM3/17/07
"William LaMartin" <lama...@tampabay.rr.com> wrote in message news:OOeSERQa...@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...

>I want more than the live CD's because I would like to try to modify the Linux setup from within Virtual PC. For example to
>add applications.

So what's the problem? Download the VMware player, or the Server
and some prebuilt virtual machines - and you're ready to hack :)

--PA

Robert Comer

Mar 18, 2007, 12:49:31 AM3/18/07
It all depends on the distribution, some let you choose it to begin with,
others you have to change the X configuration. You really should be able to
get better than 800x600 with the VESA driver.

--
Bob Comer <Microsoft MVP Windows - Virtual Machine>

"William LaMartin" <lama...@tampabay.rr.com> wrote in message

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Steve Jain

Mar 18, 2007, 6:09:24 PM3/18/07
On Sun, 18 Mar 2007 17:00:33 -0400, "William LaMartin"
<lama...@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:

> I just finished downloading the five CD images for SuSE 10.0 and doing the
>installation. The installation seemed to go very well, and at some point it
>displayed that is was using the VESA driver at 16 bit color and 800x600
>resolution. There was a place to click to change this, and I changed the
>resolution to 1024x768.
>
>However, when Linux opened in Virtual PC it was only 800x600, and in the
>utility program to change screen resolutions, 800x600 was the one available.
>And at 800x600, I couldn't even see the bottom part of the screen to set up
>the evolution email program.
>
>I tried to go into the x configuration (which I know next to nothing about)
>and set the resolution. But the password I set up on installation was
>rejected, so that got nowhere.
>
>Of the three virtual machines I have tried to create for Linux
>distributions, only the Ubuntu one gave me more than 800x600 as a final
>result.

Make sure that you're setting the monitor to something other than
800x600 too. This will prevent you from going to a higher resolution.
The easiest route is to select a 1600x1200 (60hz) generic LCD. This
should let you get higher resolutions.

If you use the S3 drivers, the Linux drivers for the card limit it to
2MB which will prevent you from also getting higher resolutions. Using
the VESA driver allows you to assign 8MB to the card without a problem
and get higher resolutions.

William LaMartin

Mar 18, 2007, 10:15:20 PM3/18/07
I think I will settle on Ubutu too.

I have gotten over my main problem with it not letting me do add/remove.
The fix took one line of code at the command line, which I found via a web
search. So at this moment Ubutu is applying 253 MB of updates.

> You should ask on a SUSE forum how to change the X configuration, they
> know the product better than I do. I do know VPC is capable of more. (I
> mainly use Ubuntu when I'm playing with Linux)

Fanlinux

Apr 7, 2007, 3:09:27 PM4/7/07

Review this link...
Step by step