Bug in MFC?

David Webber

May 28, 2006, 7:01:45 AM5/28/06
I am hesitant to make the accusation in the subject line, so let me ask if
anyone has experienced anything similar to the following with any MFC
program.

- Arrange that there is one of the program's data files on the desktop.
- Launch an MDI program.
- Use the "File|Open" command to bring up the "Open..." dialogue.
- Point the mouse-cursor to the desktop-file until the tooltop for that file
appears.
- Double-click on the file.
- Issue the "File|Save as..." command.
- Move the mouse to the desktop-file again.
- Instead of a tooltip appearing, the program crashes.

Anyone seen anything like this?

Dave
--
David Webber
Author MOZART the music processor for Windows -

David Webber

May 28, 2006, 12:02:13 PM5/28/06

"David Webber" <da...@musical.demon.co.uk> wrote in message

> - Arrange that there is one of the program's data files on the desktop.
> - Launch an MDI program.
> - Use the "File|Open" command to bring up the "Open..." dialogue.
> - Point the mouse-cursor to the desktop-file until the tooltop for that
> file appears.
> - Double-click on the file.
> - Issue the "File|Save as..." command.
> - Move the mouse to the desktop-file again.
> - Instead of a tooltip appearing, the program crashes.
>
> Anyone seen anything like this?

Ahah! Windows NotePad has this feature too. Not my fault then.

How does one tell Microsoft?

David Ching

May 28, 2006, 12:36:44 PM5/28/06

>> - Arrange that there is one of the program's data files on the desktop.
>> - Launch an MDI program.
>> - Use the "File|Open" command to bring up the "Open..." dialogue.
>> - Point the mouse-cursor to the desktop-file until the tooltop for that
>> file appears.
>> - Double-click on the file.
>> - Issue the "File|Save as..." command.
>> - Move the mouse to the desktop-file again.
>> - Instead of a tooltip appearing, the program crashes.
>>
>> Anyone seen anything like this?
>
> Ahah! Windows NotePad has this feature too. Not my fault then.
>
> How does one tell Microsoft?

I tried it by using a .txt file on the Desktop, which launched Notepad and
couldn't repro. Notepad isn't an MDI program.

-- David

David Lowndes

May 28, 2006, 12:50:57 PM5/28/06
>Ahah! Windows NotePad has this feature too. Not my fault then.

Dave,

Can you clarify things a bit more.

You originally implied you needed an MDI application. Since Notepad
isn't MDI, is this correct or not?

Which OS's does this reproduce with?

Dave Lowndes

Alexander Grigoriev

May 28, 2006, 10:55:51 PM5/28/06
Acrobat Reader bites again...

David Webber

May 29, 2006, 3:48:36 AM5/29/06

"David Lowndes" <Dav...@example.invalid> wrote in message

> Can you clarify things a bit more.
>
> You originally implied you needed an MDI application. Since Notepad
> isn't MDI, is this correct or not?

In my first post I only had evidence for it in an MDI program - my own - and
I thought that might be important.

In my second post I had found the same behaviour in NotePad, though not in
WordPad. So, yes, the effect is wider than I first specified.

I should also say that both of these were discovered first by an alpha
tester of my program, and reproduced and confirmed by me. [The crash
happens deep down in Windows and I was perturbed when he found it in my
program; then relieved (that it wasn't my fault) when he found it in NotePad
and I confirmed it.]

> Which OS's does this reproduce with?

XP Pro

In particular I am running Version 5.1.2600 (Service Pack 2 Build 2600),
but it almost certainly affects others. [My tester friend is running a
Dutch version of XP, but I don't suppose that makes much difference.]

David Lowndes

May 29, 2006, 8:11:37 AM5/29/06
Is it perhaps what Alexander suspects - an Adobe Acrobat Reader
problem?

Dave

David Wilkinson

May 29, 2006, 9:38:12 AM5/29/06
David Lowndes wrote:

David:

What exactly is this Adobe Acrobat Reader problem, and why doesn't Adobe
fix it?

David Wilkinson

Alexander Grigoriev

May 29, 2006, 9:52:47 AM5/29/06
It was reported that Acrobat Reader Shell file handler (which extracts the
PDF file information for the tooltip) crashes on a text file on a desktop.
If you try to run file dialog box, your application bombs.

"David Wilkinson" <no-r...@effisols.com> wrote in message

David Wilkinson

May 29, 2006, 10:30:31 AM5/29/06
Alexander Grigoriev wrote:

Alexander:

I am not able to reproduce this problem (as David Webber described it)
either in my own (VC6 SDI) program or in Notepad, or in Adobe Acrobat
itself. Windows XP Professional SP2, Adobe Acrobat Reader 7.07.

David Wilkinson

David Webber

May 29, 2006, 10:48:10 AM5/29/06

> Is it perhaps what Alexander suspects - an Adobe Acrobat Reader
> problem?

I misread Alexander's post at first thinking he just meant that the Acrobat
Reader had the problem.

However my tester friend read it correctly, uninstalled Acrobat from his
machine, and now neither my application, nor Notepad crashes for him. So
it looks like Acrobart Reader is indeed the culprit.

But how can it be that an application for reading PdF files (and which is
not even running) interferes with others and causes them to crash?

Alexander says ... "Acrobat Reader Shell file handler (which extracts the
PDF file information for the tooltip) crashes". Does this mean that
Acrobat is replacing a component of Windows which is used by other programs?

In any event, I find this very disturbing! [My friend finds it so
disturbing that he has already installed an alternative PdF reader!]

Alexander Grigoriev

May 29, 2006, 4:31:00 PM5/29/06
An application can register a shell file handler DLL. This handler will be
invoked when mouse cursor hovers over that file type. It's supposed to
analyze the file and return tooltip string. Those shell handlers invoked not
only inside explorer.exe, but also inside other applications when they
create a folder view object (like File Open Dialog).

"David Webber" <da...@musical.demon.co.uk> wrote in message

David Webber

May 29, 2006, 5:22:47 PM5/29/06

"Alexander Grigoriev" <al...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

> An application can register a shell file handler DLL. This handler will be
> invoked when mouse cursor hovers over that file type. It's supposed to
> analyze the file and return tooltip string. Those shell handlers invoked
> not only inside explorer.exe, but also inside other applications when they
> create a folder view object (like File Open Dialog).

Ok I'm starting to see how it can happen but....

...this is happening with the mouse over *.mz in my application and *.txt in
Notepad. I could imagine that Acrobat might register a *.pdf handler, but
do you mean that a handler registered by Acrobat is being called for other
file types?

David Lowndes

May 29, 2006, 8:02:34 PM5/29/06
>...this is happening with the mouse over *.mz in my application and *.txt in
>Notepad. I could imagine that Acrobat might register a *.pdf handler, but
>do you mean that a handler registered by Acrobat is being called for other
>file types?

It could register for .* (haven't checked though).

Dave Lowndes

David Webber

May 30, 2006, 6:34:39 AM5/30/06

"David Lowndes" <Dav...@example.invalid> wrote in message

The buggers!

Joseph M. Newcomer

May 31, 2006, 5:58:48 PM5/31/06
Please define "crash". This is a nonsense term, and conveys nothing useful. I no longer
answer questions about crashes, and I'm tired of explaining how to report a bug in a
meaningful fashion.
joe

On Sun, 28 May 2006 12:01:45 +0100, "David Webber" <da...@musical.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>I am hesitant to make the accusation in the subject line, so let me ask if
>anyone has experienced anything similar to the following with any MFC
>program.
>
>- Arrange that there is one of the program's data files on the desktop.
>- Launch an MDI program.
>- Use the "File|Open" command to bring up the "Open..." dialogue.
>- Point the mouse-cursor to the desktop-file until the tooltop for that file
>appears.
>- Double-click on the file.
>- Issue the "File|Save as..." command.
>- Move the mouse to the desktop-file again.
>- Instead of a tooltip appearing, the program crashes.
>
>Anyone seen anything like this?
>
>Dave

Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newc...@flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com

Ben Weeks

Jul 24, 2006, 3:51:03 PM7/24/06
I have a similar issue which I haven't been able to solve for ages! Tried
uninstalling a few hotfixes that had _similar_ problems, but with no joy.
Just about to try this (i.e. uninstall Adobe!!). Related post is:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/903154/

I suspect it is the new "feature" which I've seen that can now display a
preview of the PDF document in the thumbnails view, which previously was just
the PDF icon.

--
Ben Weeks
Business & IT Consultant