Free XML ODBC Drivers?

David Grant

Feb 28, 2005, 8:04:14 AM2/28/05
Hi to everybody, I am a newbie who is trying to import data from and
XML file into a table in SQL Server 2000. I've reading all the MS
information about the SQLXML's 'XML Bulk Load' and it seems that this
feature can only be accesible through the 'DTS Designer' in the
Enterprise Manager.

I've tried successfully to import the XML using a DataDirect ODBC
driver. Unfortunately it's not free and its evalutation version
doesn't long too much...
So, I'd like to ask the community if somebody knows and ODBC driver
that could be used to import XML into SQL Server 2000 and that would
be free/open source.

Also, since it seems that XML Bulk Load can only be accessible through
the 'DTS Designer' I'd like to know if I'm wrong and where I can find
the info to make this useful feature work in the import/export wizard.

Greetings,
David

Darren Green

Feb 28, 2005, 8:31:04 AM2/28/05

I didn't think SQL XML Bulk Load had any UI at all. I thought it was just a
COM object. Well there is a COM object as I use this from VBScript daily.
This script happens to be inside an ActiveX Script Task, but that is just my
implementation.

--
Darren Green
http://www.sqldts.com

"David Grant" <iceb...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

anon...@discussions.microsoft.com

Feb 28, 2005, 9:37:05 AM2/28/05
Hi Darren,

Thank you for your quick response. It seems I was a bit
confused about this issue. From your answer it becomes
more than obvious for me than I can only reach XML Bulk
Load via an VBS Script in an ActiveX task in the 'DTS
designer'. I don't know why I believed that I could access
it through the Import/Export Wizard.

Anyway, in case I'd like to import an XML file into a SQL
Server table using the Import/Export Wizard, do you (or
anybody else) know about a free/open source ODBC driver
that could allow it?

Greetings,
David Grant

>.

Darren Green

Feb 28, 2005, 11:21:00 AM2/28/05
I'm with you now. Sorry, the only one I know of is DataDirect. MS has a XML
source adapter in 2005, but not sure if this allowed through the wizard
either.

<anon...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

consept

Mar 8, 2005, 6:35:13 AM3/8/05
Dear David, I'm newbie too...and I'm improving in your same problem...
Can you indicate me the DataDirect driver you have downloaded and a little
example of DTS you have developped to import the xml file?

Best regards
Bruno Stefanutti

Michael Rys [MSFT]

Mar 8, 2005, 10:56:32 AM3/8/05
See below.

"David Grant" <iceb...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Hi to everybody, I am a newbie who is trying to import data from and
> XML file into a table in SQL Server 2000. I've reading all the MS
> information about the SQLXML's 'XML Bulk Load' and it seems that this
> feature can only be accesible through the 'DTS Designer' in the
> Enterprise Manager.

This is incorrect. The SQLXML XML BulkLoad component is accessible as a COM
object.

> I've tried successfully to import the XML using a DataDirect ODBC
> driver. Unfortunately it's not free and its evalutation version
> doesn't long too much...
> So, I'd like to ask the community if somebody knows and ODBC driver
> that could be used to import XML into SQL Server 2000 and that would
> be free/open source.

SQLXML is not an ODBC driver but internally uses an OLEDB provider.

Check out http://msdn.microsoft.com/sqlxml.