Installing SSCE 3.5 for VS2008 problems.......Totally Lost

Chuck Hecht

Sep 18, 2008, 7:26:21 PM9/18/08
Hello All,
I am having major issues trying to get to the point where I have SQL
Serverce 3.5 installed for both Desktop use as well as for Smart Devices.
I have spent the better part of my day installing and unistalling these msi
files that Microsoft says works!!!!!!

If I create a project in VS2008 (win forms or smart device) and try to
assign a Data Source of Sql Server 3.5 the data source dialog has no entry
for SSCE 3.5

What am I doing wrong????????????????

*****VISUAL STUDIO INFORMATION*****
Microsoft Visual Studio 2008
Version 9.0.30729.1 SP
Microsoft .NET Framework
Version 3.5 SP1

Installed Edition: Enterprise

Microsoft Visual Basic 2008 91899-153-0000007-60777
Microsoft Visual Basic 2008

Microsoft Visual Studio Team System 2008 Architecture Edition
91899-153-0000007-60777
Microsoft Visual Studio Team System 2008 Architecture Edition

Microsoft Visual Studio Team System 2008 Database Edition
91899-153-0000007-60777
Microsoft Visual Studio Team System 2008 Database Edition

Microsoft Visual Studio Team System 2008 Development Edition
91899-153-0000007-60777
Microsoft Visual Studio Team System 2008 Development Edition

Microsoft Visual Studio Team System 2008 Test Edition
91899-153-0000007-60777
Microsoft Visual Studio Team System 2008 Test Edition

Microsoft Visual Web Developer 2008 91899-153-0000007-60777
Microsoft Visual Web Developer 2008

Microsoft Visual Studio Team System 2008 Team Suite - ENU Service Pack 1
(KB945140) KB945140
This service pack is for Microsoft Visual Studio Team System 2008 Team
Suite - ENU.
If you later install a more recent service pack, this service pack will be
uninstalled automatically.

*****SSCE 3.5 INFORMATION*****

SSCERuntime-ENU
SSCERuntime-ENU-x86
SSCEServerTools-ENU-x86
SSCEDeviceRuntime-ENU
SSCEBOL-ENU

I have the following structure:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server Compact Edition\v3.5
Desktop (folder)
Devices (folder)
Docs (folder)
Sync (folder)
sqlceca35.dll
sqlcecompact35.dll
sqlceer35EN.dll
sqloledb35.dll
sqlceqp35.dll
sqlcese35.dll
System.Data.SqlServerCe.Entity.dll

Paul G. Tobey [eMVP]

Sep 18, 2008, 7:36:43 PM9/18/08
So, in Server Explorer in VS2008, if you right-click on Data Connections and
select Add Connection, you *do* get the Add Connection dialog? And if you
click on the Change... button next to the Data Source name, you *don't* see
Microsoft SQL Server Compact 3.5 in that list? If this isn't what you're
doing, step us through what you are doing and maybe we'll spot something
inconsistent.

Paul T.

"Chuck Hecht" <che...@trakersystems.com> wrote in message

Chuck Hecht

Sep 19, 2008, 9:43:53 AM9/19/08
I have no data sources in my project so when I select the Data Sources tab
from the solution explorer
there is a "Add New Data Source..." link. I click the link which takes me to
the "Data Source Configuration
Wizard". I am prompted to select a Data source type (database, service or
object) I select database and
click next. Now I have a "Choose Your Data Connection" screen. There are no
options to select, they
are blank, so I click the "New Connection" button. This is where the issue
is. Now I have a "Choose Data
Source" dialog. The options to select from are as follows.

Microsoft Access Database file
Microsoft ODBC Data Source
Microsoft SQL Server
Microsoft SQL Server Database File
Oracle Database
<other>

In my project it appears that I have the correct assembly referenced. I am
using System.Data.SqlServerCe.dll

@ C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server Compact
Edition\v3.5\Desktop\System.Data.SqlServerCe.dll

Runtime version v2.0.50727
Version 3.5.1.0

I am using the Imports statement in my project and it appears that I have
everything installed correctly except that I have no database access.

ANY help or ideas would be appreicated

Thank you

chuck

"Paul G. Tobey [eMVP]" <p space tobey no spam AT no instrument no spam DOT

Laxmi Narsimha Rao Oruganti [MSFT]

Sep 21, 2008, 2:37:20 AM9/21/08
If I am not wrong, somehome the design tools is missing. Query tools is to
integrate with SSMS 2008 and where as Design Tools is to integrate with VS
2008. There is no direct way to install Design Tools MSI using setup UI.
Please check the VS 2008 RTM Install Media for SSCEDesignTools-<Locale>.msi
and install it. I am not sure of the exact MSI name, but it is similar to
what I have provided above. If you have VS 2008 SP1 in extracted form, the
above tools MSI should be present in that too. Please let us know if
installing the design tools made it work. Also there is some mention of
using SQL CE v3.1 with VS 2008 which is not supported for design time usage.

--

Thanks,
Laxmi [Disclaimer: All postings are as-is and confer no rights]

"Chuck Hecht" <che...@trakersystems.com> wrote in message

Chuck Hecht

Sep 22, 2008, 12:55:47 PM9/22/08
Hello All,
After 3+ hours on the phone with Microsoft I finally have this issue fixed.
It appears the issue was UAC in Vista. I disabled UAC but Microsoft
told me that it most likly still prevented certain competencies from being
registered during the install.

Bottom Line:
I reinstalled WCU/SSCE/SSCEVSTOOLS-enu from my VS2008 dvd

Thanks for all of the inputs

chuck

"Laxmi Narsimha Rao Oruganti [MSFT]" <laxmi....@msnews.com> wrote in
message news:uObvPS7...@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...