RDA.Pull error: 0x8004005

Rob C

Mar 26, 2003, 12:39:26 AM3/26/03
I apologize for the verboseness of this post but there is
alot of detail I thought was relevant.

I am getting the error 0x80004005 when I try to do a Pull
using RDA.

The documentation for this error states:

Ensure that the virtual directory is specified correctly.
For example, the URL might be incorrectly listed as
http://server/ssqlce/sscesa20.dll instead of
http://server/sqlce/sscesa20.dll.
Or

The string "sscesa20.dll" must be included in the URL.
For example, the URL might be incorrectly listed as
http://server/sqlce instead of
http://server/sqlce/sscesa20.dll.

I have 2 different server machines that I have configured
to connect to using the SQL CE Connectivity Management
Wizard. Each has their own version of IIS running. They
are both configured the same way except that one is
Win2000 Server and the other is WinXP. Both have SQL
Server 2000 installed with SP2 and SQLCE V2. Both
machines are on the same network. I set up the virtual
directories exactly the same giving them both the
alias "CMSRDA". If I pass the Win2000Server machine in
the connection string as the server, I am able to
successfully pull the data to the handheld. If I pass the
WinXPServer in the connection string, I get the error
stated above. I am pretty certain that the directory is
set up properly on both.

Virtual Directory Alias: CMSRDA

I am using SQL Server Authentication.

My connection string and InternetUrl values in my code are
as follows:

"Provider=SQLOLEDB;Data Source=WinXPServer;Initial
Catalog=WesleyDB;Persist Security Info=False; User
Id=MyUser;Password = MyPassword"

"http://WinXPServer/CMSRDA/sscesa20.dll"

I tried to isolate the problem as best as possible. I
went onto the machine that I cannot connect to
(WinXPServer) and opened Internet Explorer. I typed in
http://WinXPServer/CMSRDA/sscesa20.dll and got a "Page
cannot be displayed" error. When I typed in the same URL
but using Win2000Server, I got a web page that said: "SQL
Server CE Server Agent" which I assume means that I
sucessfully accessed it. I am also assuming that doing
this test removed any issues with how SQL Server 2000
security/authentication was setup on the machine. This
points me think there is something wrong with the way I
have sscesa20.dll or the alias setup but I can't figure
out what is wrong or different from the Win2000 config
which is working.

ARe there other situations that cause the 80004005 error
that I am missing?

Regards,

-Rob

Rob C

Mar 26, 2003, 12:39:54 PM3/26/03
I was able to access the server agent (SSCESA20.DLL) on my
XP install by doing the following:

1. Right click My Computer and select "Manage"
2. Click Services and Applications/IIS/Web
Sites/Default Web Site
3. Right click CMSRDA (my alias) and
select "Properties"
4. in Virtual Directory tab, set "Application
Protection" to "Low (IIS Process)". [Was set to Medium
(Pooled)].

Once I changed the app protection to Low, I was able to
Pull using RDA to this server.

What is strange is that I have Application Protection set
to Medium on my Win2000 install and it works fine on that.

I'm happy that it is working but I need to understand what
is happening here. Why would it work on the Win2000
server with medium but require it to be Low on XP? What
other setting might be relevant for that I need to know
about?

Thanks,

-Rob