Windows Server 2008 and Speech Recognition

Jeff LIll

Apr 13, 2008, 6:44:01 PM4/13/08
Is speech recognition supported on Windows Server 2008? The following C#
code fails with a PlatformNotSupportedException("No recognizer is
installed.").

recognizer = new SpeechRecognitionEngine();
recognizer.LoadGrammar(new DictationGrammar()); // **
exception

I verified that the SAPI 5.3 is installed by checking the version number for
C:\windows\system32\speech\sapi.dll and I have also installed the Desktop
Experience feature. How do I install an English speech recognizer on Server
2008?

xx1234xx

Apr 20, 2008, 3:36:29 PM4/20/08
Also tried adding office communication speech server 2007 and no love.

Any suggestions or workarounds?

Jason

Apr 20, 2008, 3:41:00 PM4/20/08
Also added OC speech server 2007 and still no love.

Any suggetions or workarounds?

Jeff LIll

Apr 20, 2008, 10:17:00 PM4/20/08
Yeah, I tried that too; without success. That probably makes sense, because
Speech Server 2007 is probably based on SAPI 5.1 anyway.

I've gone back to Windows Server 2003 and SAPI 5.1 until MSFT responds with
a solution. Whuich is unforunate, because I hear that SAPI 5.3 is a big
improvement.

I'd guess that we might not have to wait too long since Exchange 2007 and
OCS 2007 (with Speech Server) are presumably being ported and tested with
Server 2008 as we speak. Presumably MSFT will have to figure this out by
then.

Jason

May 12, 2008, 12:31:00 AM5/12/08
Okay. So I DID get it to work but I can't tell you the exact steps but I can
tell you what I did and what I think matters. Hopefully someone else can
narrow this list down to what counts. Or even better, someone from MS support
can actually reply to one of the 5 messages posted. What you need: Machine A
with server 2008 and Machine B with MS Vista (FYI - my vista is NOT on SP1
yet so that shouldn't make a difference)
NOTE - ALL copies were done w/out writing over current files, I left
existing items in place.

1. Copy from vista(a must) C:\windows\system32\speech
2. Copy from vista(a must) C:\windows\speech
3. Copy from vista (prob not needed) C:\windows\assembly
4. Copy from vista (prob not needed)
C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727

Registry Changes (do at own risk but this is the most crucial part) Now, I
am not sure how classids are created but i THINK (please correct if wrong)
they are unique to each machine which i think caused issues for me but if I
am wrong, and I hope I am, someone can actually provide a list of which ones
matter.
1. Export from vista(a must) HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Speech
2. Export from Vista (optional?) HKCU\Software\Miscrofot\Speech

Now the hard part. There are references of GUIDS that matter (its the
objects that look like this: {DAC9F469-0C67-4643-9258-87EC128C5941}
Find everyone one of those under the registry objects you just exported in
Vista and export to server 2008. Really, the ones I think matter are the HKLM
and HKCR. If you did the current user then you should continue and do the
HKCU as well. This is the most tedious part, but i think its a must.

Do not overloook this-> HKLM\Software\Classes\CLSID just because you did HKCR

And lastly, (this is what I think finally got it workin). On vista look for
every registry reference to the following files and bring those objects over
(mainly its the classids again inside of HKCR and
HKLM\Software\Classes\CLSID).

C:\Windows\System32\Speech\Engines\SR\spsreng.dll
C:\Windows\System32\Speech\Engines\SR\spsrx.dll
C:\Windows\System32\Speech\Engines\SR\srloc.dll

Other actions I took or variables that I don't think matter, but I wanted to
share. My vista OS is ultimate (but ANY vista should work). I had installed
speech recog server 2007 (which you can download from MS) on server 08 and
vista. I installed windows SDK for server 2008 on both machines and compiled
and registered the sample recognition engine (which doesn't do anything).

I think that covers it. It was a horible process that most likely people
will not want to attempt, but i promise you it is possible. I think its all
about know which reg keys to export and the basic files. I hope MS releases
something to make it easier because it should be a very simple update for
them. If my server crashes i would be very bummed. (now to take an image of
my server)