Update for Q811114 repeats installation on desktops

Todd Taylor

Dec 17, 2003, 12:53:42 PM12/17/03
We have installed an SUS server and seems to be working fine. The update
Q811114 fo Windows XP reinstalls itself with every SUS check of the machine.
Is there a known problem with this or possibly a fix. Thanks.

Todd Taylor
tayl...@cox.net

Greg Cottingham [MSFT]

Dec 18, 2003, 3:25:29 PM12/18/03
Hi Todd,
It is possible that during the SUS scan, Sus may be finding some criteria
on the client that suggest the patch is needed...
For this particular patch on Windows XP, SUS looks for the following
criteria to determine if the patch is needed:

On the client machine, check to see if it meets any of the following
criteria

The following registry entry does not exist:
NT\CurrentVersion\Hotfix\Q811114\Installed=1

httpext.dll file version is less than 6.0.2600.1189

Thanks,

Greg Cottingham[MSFT]
gre...@online.microsoft.com
Microsoft PSS Security Team

--------------------
From: "Todd Taylor" <tayl...@cox.net>
Subject: Update for Q811114 repeats installation on desktops
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 12:53:42 -0500
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.softwareupdatesvcs

H.A. Kippenhan, Jr.

Dec 22, 2003, 5:59:46 PM12/22/03
Hi all:

I have been having the same problem.

I have a Windows XP Pro system; it was created by upgrading a Windows
2000, SP4 system which was at current hotfix / update level.

Once upgraded, I installed all the XP patches and hotfixes so the system
was again current. The only problem I have is with the Q811114 update.
It installs successfully (per the Windows Update.log file, and the add /
remove programs display in the control panel). However, each time I run
Windows update, it again insists that I need to install the Q811114 patch.

Notes: I have checked the registry key; that is to say,

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion
\Hotfix\Q811114\Installed=1

I have also checked for the httpext.dll file, which on my system is in the
directory ...

C:\WINNT\system32\dllcache\httpext.dlland (version is 6.0.2600.1189)

=======

So I have two questions, as follows:
1) Why is this happening?
2) What do I do to get Windows Update to recognize that the Q811114
update has been successfully installed, and not tell me that it
needs to be installed yet again?

H.A. Kippenhan, Jr.
Fermi national Accel. Lab

Greg Cottingham [MSFT]

Jan 2, 2004, 3:19:39 PM1/2/04
Hi H.A.,
I did some more research on this particular patch ...
Can you check if the following criteria exist:

"inetsrv\Isatq.dll" should be 6.0.2600.1182 or higher, if it is not higher
than this, then the scan will determine that the Q811114 patch is needed.

Also check the following registry keys... if the following values are set
as below, then then the scan will determine that the Q811114 patch is
needed.

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup\OC
Manager\Subcomponents\iis_common=1
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\INetStp\MajorVersion=5
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\INetStp\MinorVersion=1

From: hak...@hotmail.com (H.A. Kippenhan, Jr.)
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.softwareupdatesvcs
Date: 22 Dec 2003 14:59:46 -0800

H.A. Kippenhan, Jr.

Jan 5, 2004, 9:25:56 AM1/5/04
gre...@online.microsoft.com (Greg Cottingham [MSFT]) wrote in message news:<W8vX22W0...@cpmsftngxa07.phx.gbl>...

> Hi H.A.,
> I did some more research on this particular patch ...
> Can you check if the following criteria exist:
>
> "inetsrv\Isatq.dll" should be 6.0.2600.1182 or higher, if it is not higher
> than this, then the scan will determine that the Q811114 patch is needed.

The version of isatq.dll is 6.0.2600.1182

> Also check the following registry keys... if the following values are set
> as below, then then the scan will determine that the Q811114 patch is
> needed.
>
> HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup\OC
> Manager\Subcomponents\iis_common=1

It's a hex word and the value is '1'

> HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\INetStp\MajorVersion=5

The value is '5'

> HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\INetStp\MinorVersion=1

The value is '1'
> Fermi National Accel. Lab
>
> --

Best regards
H.A. "Kipp" Kippenhan, Jr.

Greg Cottingham [MSFT]

Jan 5, 2004, 4:15:54 PM1/5/04
Hi H.A.
One question I have is, are you using this XP machine as a webserver?
When it was a 2000 machine, did you install IIS?

Also wondering if you can, as a test. set the following key manually
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\INetStp\MinorVersion=2

If this test does not work, try setting the following as a test...
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\INetStp\MajorVersion=6

This will at least tell us which criteria is causing the patch to be
reinstalled

From: hak...@hotmail.com (H.A. Kippenhan, Jr.)
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.softwareupdatesvcs

Date: 5 Jan 2004 06:25:56 -0800

H.A. Kippenhan, Jr.

Jan 6, 2004, 7:05:39 PM1/6/04
Hi:

gre...@online.microsoft.com (Greg Cottingham [MSFT]) wrote in message news:<HFyxfE90...@cpmsftngxa07.phx.gbl>...

> Hi H.A.
>
> One question I have is, are you using this XP machine as a webserver?

No. It's a vanilla XP workstation (Windows XP Pro).

> When it was a 2000 machine, did you install IIS?

No.

> Also wondering if you can, as a test. set the following key manually
> HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\INetStp\MinorVersion=2

When the value of the above key is set to 2 (using regedt32), then
running Windows Update no longer find that it needs to install the
Q811114 patch.

> If this test does not work, try setting the following as a test...
> HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\INetStp\MajorVersion=6

I didn't try this, as making the previous change resolved the
problem.

> --

Thanks very much for your assistance with this very irksome problem.

Greg Cottingham [MSFT]

Jan 7, 2004, 8:08:53 PM1/7/04
Hi H.A.

Thanks for testing this...

We now know that the following key is not being set for some reason...

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\INetStp\MinorVersion=2

The most probable cause is that the installer does not have the proper
permissions to modify the key.
Or the key may be hooked by another process that prevents it from being
updated (have seen antivirus apps do this in the past)

At this point, we can accept the workaround by manually setting the key to
2 or we may dig further by
By monitoring file and registry access with the third-party FileMon and
RegMon tools from Sysinternals

These tools monitor and log all registry and file access...

For information about FileMon, refer to the following Web site:
http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/source/filemon.shtml

For information about RegMon, refer to the following Web site:
http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/source/regmon.shtml

Usage:
1) Start Filemon or Regmon
2) Go about reproducing the error
3) Click File then Save as
4) Choose the log file
5) Send the log file to me via email

Disclaimer:
This response contains a reference to a Third party product, publication or
website. You should know that the Third party products are not under the
control of Microsoft. Accordingly, Microsoft can make no representation
concerning the content of these products or publications. Microsoft is
providing this information only as a convenience to you. This is to inform
you that Microsoft has not tested any software or information found on
these products, publications or websites and therefore cannot make any
representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any
software or information found there. There are inherent dangers when using
untested software, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you
completely understand the risk before using any such product or publication
or entering said websites.

From: hak...@hotmail.com (H.A. Kippenhan, Jr.)
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.softwareupdatesvcs

Date: 6 Jan 2004 16:05:39 -0800