MicroStation Files Won't Open In Team Site

BRAD

Jan 9, 2006, 4:05:03 PM1/9/06
We have a team site set up for our engineers. They are using MicroStation to
develop CADD files. The MicroStation files have been uploaded into a
document library within the Sharepoint team site. The problem is if one user
opens the file, he/she is the only one who can open it from there on out.

No one else can open, through sharepoint after this occurs. All the users
can freely open the files when they are opened in their old shared servers.
Has anyone else experienced the same problem?

@sharepoint911dotcom Shane Young [SPS MVP]

Jan 9, 2006, 4:49:22 PM1/9/06
What happens when someone else tries to open it? What message do they get?

I have never seen or heard of this before.

--
Shane Young - SPS MVP
SharePoint911 - http://www.SharePoint911.com

"BRAD" <BR...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

TomC

Jan 9, 2006, 4:58:38 PM1/9/06
Brad,

Did you try to post this question on Bentley's discussion newsgroups,
http://discussion.bentley.com.?

Tom

BRAD

Jan 11, 2006, 11:10:02 AM1/11/06
After clicking on the file, the error reads as follows: "C:\Documents and
Settings\seppeltme\local settings\temporary internet
files\content.IE5\5bn7txc6\lgt001(1).ms2" The specified path does not exist.

We did make some progress yesterday. I had to go to individual PC's and
right click on the file and manually choose what program it should open with
on thier local hard drives. Now there is not an issue with some people
opening files and others can't. So that has been resolved.

Now the issue is the files won't open in the All Documents View. The little
file icons don't show up either. Instead it's the windows icon like it's not
recognizing the files type. They get the same error as I previously
mentioned. But, when we switch to Exploerer view everything is fine. The
main problem has been resolved I guess, but i'm still curious as to why one
view works over the others.

Thank you.

@sharepoint911dotcom Shane Young [SPS MVP]

Jan 11, 2006, 6:12:47 PM1/11/06
That is very odd. I am not sure I know what else to tell you without
actually seeing it. Sorry.

--
Shane Young - SPS MVP
SharePoint911 - http://www.SharePoint911.com
Blog - http://msmvps.com/shane/

"BRAD" <BR...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

kar...@nmia.com

Jan 11, 2006, 8:07:15 PM1/11/06
BRAD wrote:
> After clicking on the file, the error reads as follows: "C:\Documents and
> Settings\seppeltme\local settings\temporary internet
> files\content.IE5\5bn7txc6\lgt001(1).ms2" The specified path does not exist.
>
> We did make some progress yesterday. I had to go to individual PC's and
> right click on the file and manually choose what program it should open with
> on thier local hard drives. Now there is not an issue with some people
> opening files and others can't. So that has been resolved.
>
> Now the issue is the files won't open in the All Documents View. The little
> file icons don't show up either. Instead it's the windows icon like it's not
> recognizing the files type. They get the same error as I previously
> mentioned. But, when we switch to Exploerer view everything is fine. The
> main problem has been resolved I guess, but i'm still curious as to why one
> view works over the others.
>
> Thank you.

Microsoft has set up XP to blow a lot of unnecessary smoke; 2000 was
much more straightforward in this respect. I'm not familiar with your
specific setup, but I suspect your "5BN7TXC6 path does not exist"
message simply means that it's "super"-hidden from Windows. For a
discussion, see
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/browse_thread/thread/8aa54dbc5bd5f257

(Ignore the hilarity about User1 and User2 having been designated as
"Alice" and "Bob".)

To see the files in your own logon Content.IE5 folder,

--rightclick Drive C:
--select Properties
--select Disk Cleanup
--highlight Temporary Internet Files
--select View Files.

This opens a new window displaying your own Content.IE5 and its
subfolders. Individual data files can be copied, deleted, etc.
Interestingly, in the initial window you see the files in the main TIF
folder, but the Content.IE5 and OLK subfolders are hidden, while in the
new window these subfolders and their contents are displayed, but the
files residing in the main TIF folder are hidden.