How can I decrypt a Microsoft Word document for which I have the key?

Meitar

Mar 19, 2006, 3:13:39 AM3/19/06
Hi all,

I'm rather a novice when it comes to security concerns in the Microsoft
realm, so please bear with me. Here's my situation:

A friend has an old Microsoft Word (97+, I am guessing) document for
which she has set an "open document password." That is, the file is
password-protected and encrypted. She has forgotten the password for
the file and now needs to open it, but can't without cracking the
security protection she has already placed on it. I have never before
even attempted anything like this, but figuring it a good opportunity
to learn something I took it upon myself to see if I could help.

My research uncovered a plethora of Windows-based tools (applications)
which promise to recover the password if I buy the full version of the
program, but since this task is largely for my own edification it would
be utterly pointless just to pay for a program. Nevertheless, I tried
to the demo versions of plenty of these programs. One proved fruitful:
it has managed to recover the encryption key used on the document.

So now I have learned several things about the Word document. Firstly,
the password is more than five characters long. Secondly, that it is
likely a "modern" version of Microsoft Word. Thirdly, and I am assuming
most helpful, I know the precise encryption key.

Knowing these things, especialy the encryption key, how can I now
decrypt the document and read its contents?

Thanks in advance for pointing me in the right direction.
Regards,
-Meitar

Panda_man

Mar 19, 2006, 4:08:26 AM3/19/06
My reply is at the bottom of your message :

"Meitar" wrote:

Hello Meitar ! You are posting your question in Security newsgroup but more
appropriate would be to post in another group . Microsoft has established
special newsgroups for its Office Pack .
Post in the Word newsgroups.

"MS Word General Questions" newsgroup
NTTP:
microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

HTTP:
http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.word.docmanagement&cat=en_US_ce704816-2055-4ee8-a8f1-2496ab2e29d3&lang=en&cr=US

Regards :
Panda_man

Meitar

Mar 19, 2006, 3:00:34 PM3/19/06
Thanks for the heads up. I will post my question again over there.

-Meitar

Panda_man wrote:
> My reply is at the bottom of your message :

Panda_man

Mar 19, 2006, 3:40:30 PM3/19/06

"Meitar" wrote:

> Thanks for the heads up. I will post my question again over there.
>
> -Meitar

You are welcome ! Thanks for informing me ! :)

Panda_man
--
Prevention is always better than cure !