The login user interface failed to load

WhidbeyTomas

Nov 23, 2008, 2:09:20 PM11/23/08
I'm running XP Home with the latest upgrades (service pack 3). My
wife uses this computer, so there is no software changes except for
the automatic upgrades. On start-up, I get the microsoft logo on a
black background with a load bar (as usual) then it changes to the HP
logo as if loading the interface. After a few seconds, the fans slow
and everything seems to stop followed by a dialog box with the message
that the login interface failed to load because msgina.dll is corrupt
or missing.

I tried the last known good configuration, that resulted in the same
dead end message.
I tried Safe mode, but that just gave me a black screen with "safe
mode" in all four corners (not sure what to do with that).

I wonder if someone can suggest a way to load the dll when the system
won't load? I know that I can use my system restore disks, but that
will wipe my computer of many important files. I'd like to find a way
to recover those.

Any ideas?

FromTheRafters

Nov 23, 2008, 2:26:05 PM11/23/08
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/836683
"WhidbeyTomas" <whidbe...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Shenan Stanley

Nov 23, 2008, 3:00:03 PM11/23/08
WhidbeyTomas wrote:
> I'm running XP Home with the latest upgrades (service pack 3).

Hopefully you realize just how OLD Windows XP SP3 is and that there have
been many updates since then...

> My wife uses this computer, so there is no software changes except
> for the automatic upgrades.

I am unsure of the connection there. There are large gaping holes in that
explanation. Why would your wife using a computer prevent software changes?
By "your wife", do you actually mean that this computer is unused and
freshly ghosted with its original image every day? Or is there something
special about your wife - a mutant power that stops all changes from
happening?

> On start-up, I get the microsoft logo on a black background with
> a load bar (as usual) then it changes to the HP logo as if loading
> the interface. After a few seconds, the fans slow and everything
> seems to stop followed by a dialog box with the message that
> the login interface failed to load because msgina.dll
> is corrupt or missing.

That does not bode well. That implicates a software change/installation
and/or some corruption caused by failing hardware or a software
install/change.

> I tried the last known good configuration, that resulted in the same
> dead end message.

Good try.

> I tried Safe mode, but that just gave me a black screen with "safe
> mode" in all four corners (not sure what to do with that).

It did not finish loading so you could access other things? (It may be very
slow.)

What if you press CTRL+SHIFT+ESC in 'safe mode' --> does "Task Manager" come
up?

> I wonder if someone can suggest a way to load the dll when the
> system won't load? I know that I can use my system restore disks,
> but that will wipe my computer of many important files. I'd like
> to find a way to recover those.

Do you have actual installation CDs or just some form of
Recovery/Restoration CD/DVDs?

> Any ideas?

- sfc /scannow
- repair installation
- hard disk drive diagnostics with the hard disk drive manufacturer's
diagnostics utility
- booting with a CD/DVD that can read/write to NTFS (BartPE, some linux CDs,
etc) to copy stuff off
... before a clean installation
- restore from your backups (you do regular backups - right?)

Now is a great time to point you to one of the easiest ways to find
information on problems you may be having and solutions others have found:

Search using Google!
http://www.google.com/
(How-to: http://www.google.com/intl/en/help/basics.html )

Come back - let us know!

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Nov 23, 2008, 3:27:33 PM11/23/08
[X-post to WinXP General]

Is the machine fully patched at Windows Update?

in the background when you installed WinXP SP3?

Please post the complete (verbatim) error message.

Do you use a "Registry cleaner"?

Windows XP logon screen does not appear and the computer continuously
restarts:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310396

Restore the Windows XP Welcome Screen (Gina.dll)
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts/fix_xp_logon.vbs

Remove Ginamsi.DLL - Logon Screen (Line 59)

Related, previous discussions:
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/search?hl=en&group=microsoft.public.windowsxp.general&q=msgina+%2B+corrupt+OR+missing+%2B+mvp

=> WinXP-specific newsgroup:
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net

Gerry

Nov 24, 2008, 10:09:09 AM11/24/08

Tomas

"Logon User Interface DLL Msgina.dll failed to load" error message after
you install the MS04-003 security update
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/836683

What do you have by way of a Windows XP CD?

What is your computer make and model?

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~
FCA
Stourport, England
Enquire, plan and execute
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
> [X-post to WinXP General]
>
> Is the machine fully patched at Windows Update?

> Defender)? What third-party firewall (if any)? Were any of these
> applications running in the background when you installed WinXP SP3?
>
> Please post the complete (verbatim) error message.
>
> Do you use a "Registry cleaner"?
>
> Windows XP logon screen does not appear and the computer continuously
> restarts:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310396
>
> Restore the Windows XP Welcome Screen (Gina.dll)
> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts/fix_xp_logon.vbs
>
> Remove Ginamsi.DLL - Logon Screen (Line 59)
>
> Related, previous discussions:
> http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/search?hl=en&group=microsoft.public.windowsxp.general&q=msgina+%2B+corrupt+OR+missing+%2B+mvp
>
> => WinXP-specific newsgroup:

FromTheRafters

Nov 24, 2008, 10:57:33 AM11/24/08
Contact HP support (if you haven't already done so). They may
have customized the dll.

Are the "restore disks" HP or MS disks? The chances are pretty
good either way that an option to repair is included in the disk's
menu - and your "important files" should not be overwritten.

Ask HP support about the recommended procedure.

Kelly

Nov 26, 2008, 9:30:05 PM11/26/08

See line 45 (right hand side):

All the Best and Happy Turkey Day,
Kelly (MS-MVP/DTS&XP)

Taskbar Repair Tool Plus!

"Gerry" <ge...@nospam.com> wrote in message

WhidbeyTomas

Nov 27, 2008, 1:30:35 PM11/27/08
On Nov 24, 10:57 am, "FromTheRafters" <erra...@nomail.afraid.org>
wrote:

> Contact HP support (if you haven't already done so). They may
> have customized the dll.
>
> Are the "restore disks" HP or MS disks? The chances are pretty
> good either way that an option to repair is included in the disk's
> menu - and your "important files" should not be overwritten.
>
> Ask HP support about the recommended procedure.
>
> "WhidbeyTomas" <whidbeyto...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> > I'm running XP Home with the latest upgrades (service pack 3).  My
> > wife uses this computer, so there is no software changes except for
> > the automatic upgrades.  On start-up, I get the microsoft logo on a
> > black background with a load bar (as usual) then it changes to the HP
> > logo as if loading the interface.  After a few seconds, the fans slow
> > and everything seems to stop followed by a dialog box with the message
> > that the login interface failed to load because msgina.dll is corrupt
> > or missing.
>
> > I tried the last known good configuration, that resulted in the same
> > dead end message.
> > I tried Safe mode, but that just gave me a black screen with "safe
> > mode" in all four corners (not sure what to do with that).
>
> > I wonder if someone can suggest a way to load the dll when the system
> > won't load? I know that I can use my system restore disks, but that
> > will wipe my computer of many important files.  I'd like to find a way
> > to recover those.
>
> > Any ideas?

Thank you for all of the responses. I am very busy with my work, so
I've been unable even to check email this past week.

Yes. I have HP disks.
Yes, the option to repair exists. I've accessed it, but I don't really
know what to do with it. I tried to use it to restore msgina.dll.
Didn't work.
I thought there might be an option to repair that just repairs, but
this option to repair is for people who have a clue (the initiated).

Yes. I asked HP. They tell me the only option is to wipe the disk and
reload the software.

I've slaved the drive and captured the data.

No. I don't do regular back-ups (just stupid).

Yes I have automatic updates installed. I am asked seemingly daily to
install another update.

I use a virus protection program and a firewall.

I've come to the realization that although the message says that the
problem is a missing file, the system just doesn't understand the
depth of the problem. It isn't a missing file but a whacked system.
I'll restore the operating system again.

Tomas

FromTheRafters

Nov 27, 2008, 2:04:42 PM11/27/08
"WhidbeyTomas" <whidbe...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Tomas

****

This is what some consider to be "the hard way" when it is their chore.

This is also "the easy way" when you are on the support end - sure just
wipe the disk and reload no fuss no muss.

Sometimes it is the only way that makes sense (like when you're on a
desert island and all you have is your EISA configuration partition as
a backup).

Glad you were able to save your data - that's the important thing.

WhidbeyTomas

Nov 28, 2008, 3:16:13 PM11/28/08

OK. Problem solved. It turns out that the system CD includes a
mechanism for repairing the System. When you insert the System CD you
have two choices: To set up Windows XP now, Press Enter (this sounds
like a new install which will wipe the hard drive) and To repair the
system using the Recovery Console, press R.

It turns out that the first option automatically searches for an
existing windows installation. It the disk finds one, you have the
option to repair (without reformatting the drive). HP didn't know
about this and neither did I. HP support told me that my only option
was to reinstall the system. They confirmed this means reformatting
the drive. I spent $100 dollars paying for data recovery by Best Buy
(who also confirmed that reformat and new install was my only option).

I guess the $100.00 is a reasonable fine for a failure to back-up in a
timely fashion. I hope this information will help others.

Tomas

WhidbeyTomas

Nov 28, 2008, 3:18:25 PM11/28/08
On Nov 23, 3:27 pm, "PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABear...@gmail.com> wrote:
> [X-post to WinXP General]
>
> Is the machine fully patched at Windows Update?

> subscription current?  What anti-spyware applications (other than Defender)?
> What third-party firewall (if any)?  Were any of these applications running
> in the background when you installed WinXP SP3?
>
> Please post the complete (verbatim) error message.
>
> Do you use a "Registry cleaner"?
>
> Windows XP logon screen does not appear and the computer continuously
> restarts:http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310396
>
> Restore the Windows XP Welcome Screen (Gina.dll)http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts/fix_xp_logon.vbs
>
> Remove Ginamsi.DLL - Logon Screen (Line 59)http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm
>
> Related, previous discussions:http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/sea...

> => WinXP-specific newsgroup:
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Adminhttp://aumha.net
> DTS-Lhttp://dts-l.net/

> WhidbeyTomas wrote:
> > I'm running XP Home with the latest upgrades (service pack 3).  My
> > wife uses this computer, so there is no software changes except for
> > the automatic upgrades.  On start-up, I get the microsoft logo on a
> > black background with a load bar (as usual) then it changes to the HP
> > logo as if loading the interface.  After a few seconds, the fans slow
> > and everything seems to stop followed by a dialog box with the message
> > that the login interface failed to load because msgina.dll is corrupt
> > or missing.
>
> > I tried the last known good configuration, that resulted in the same
> > dead end message.
> > I tried Safe mode, but that just gave me a black screen with "safe
> > mode" in all four corners (not sure what to do with that).
>
> > I wonder if someone can suggest a way to load the dll when the system
> > won't load? I know that I can use my system restore disks, but that
> > will wipe my computer of many important files.  I'd like to find a way
> > to recover those.
>
> > Any ideas?

"Do I use registry cleaner?"
No. Should I? I've always distrusted the many programs that promise to
fix my Windows. I've not had good luck with them.

Tomas

WhidbeyTomas

Nov 28, 2008, 3:20:43 PM11/28/08
wrote:
> Contact HP support (if you haven't already done so). They may
> have customized the dll.
>
> Are the "restore disks" HP or MS disks? The chances are pretty
> good either way that an option to repair is included in the disk's
> menu - and your "important files" should not be overwritten.
>
> Ask HP support about the recommended procedure.
>
> "WhidbeyTomas" <whidbeyto...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> > I'm running XP Home with the latest upgrades (service pack 3).  My
> > wife uses this computer, so there is no software changes except for
> > the automatic upgrades.  On start-up, I get the microsoft logo on a
> > black background with a load bar (as usual) then it changes to the HP
> > logo as if loading the interface.  After a few seconds, the fans slow
> > and everything seems to stop followed by a dialog box with the message
> > that the login interface failed to load because msgina.dll is corrupt
> > or missing.
>
> > I tried the last known good configuration, that resulted in the same
> > dead end message.
> > I tried Safe mode, but that just gave me a black screen with "safe
> > mode" in all four corners (not sure what to do with that).
>
> > I wonder if someone can suggest a way to load the dll when the system
> > won't load? I know that I can use my system restore disks, but that
> > will wipe my computer of many important files.  I'd like to find a way
> > to recover those.
>
> > Any ideas?

OK. Problem solved. It turns out that the system CD includes a

Gerry

Nov 28, 2008, 3:49:50 PM11/28/08

No.

Have you resolved your problem?

What suggestions have you tried?

--

Gerry
~~~~

Peter Foldes

Nov 28, 2008, 5:34:26 PM11/28/08
Tomas

NO. Do not use any Registry Cleaning tools. They are all snake oil remedies and can
cause more problems then needed.

Credit for the below goes to Bruce Chambers MS MVP

<snip>

A registry cleaner - even a safe one, should such ever be developed
- is an exercise in, at best, futility. There is no real need for
registry cleaners, other than to provide a profit to their
manufacturers. On rare occasions, registry cleaners can be, in the
hands of a skilled technician, useful, time-saving diagnostic tools.
Otherwise, they're nothing but snake oil.

Why do you even think you'd ever need to clean your registry? What
specific *problems* are you actually experiencing (not some program's
bogus listing of imaginary problems) that you think can be fixed by
using a registry cleaner?

If you do have a problem that is rooted in the registry, it would
be far better to simply edit (after backing up, of course) only the
specific key(s) and/or value(s) that are causing the problem. After
all, why use a chainsaw when a scalpel will do the job? Additionally,
the manually changing of one or two registry entries is far less likely
to have the dire consequences of allowing an automated product to make
multiple changes simultaneously. The only thing needed to safely clean
your registry is knowledge and Regedit.exe.

The registry contains all of the operating system's "knowledge" of
the computer's hardware devices, installed software, the location of the
device drivers, and the computer's configuration. A misstep in the
registry can have severe consequences. One should not even turning
loose a poorly understood automated "cleaner," unless he is fully
confident that he knows *exactly* what is going to happen as a result of
each and every change.

Having repeatedly seen the results of inexperienced people using
automated registry "cleaners," I can only advise all but the most
experienced computer technicians (and/or hobbyists) to avoid them all.
Experience has shown me that such tools simply are not safe in the hands
of the inexperienced user. If you lack the knowledge and experience to
maintain your registry by yourself, then you also lack the knowledge and
experience to safely configure and use any automated registry cleaner,
no matter how safe they claim to be.

More importantly, no one has ever demonstrated that the use of an
automated registry cleaner, particularly by an untrained, inexperienced
computer user, does any real good, whatsoever. There's certainly been
no empirical evidence offered to demonstrate that the use of such
products to "clean" WinXP's registry improves a computer's performance
or stability. Given the potential for harm, it's just not worth the risk.

Granted, most registry "cleaners" won't cause problems each and
every time they're used, but the potential for harm is always there.
And, since no registry "cleaner" has ever been demonstrated to do any
good (think of them like treating the flu with chicken soup - there's no
real medicinal value, but it sometimes provides a warming placebo
effect), I always tell people that the risks far out-weigh the
non-existent benefits.

I will concede that a good registry *scanning* tool, in the hands
of an experienced and knowledgeable technician or hobbyist can be a
useful time-saving diagnostic tool, as long as it's not allowed to make
any changes automatically. But I really don't think that there are any
registry cleaners that are truly safe for the general public to use.
Experience has proven just the opposite: such tools simply are not safe
in the hands of the inexperienced user.

<end snip>

--
Peter

"WhidbeyTomas" <whidbe...@gmail.com> wrote in message

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Nov 28, 2008, 5:59:55 PM11/28/08
> No. Should I?...

IMHO, no. Think your Registry needs "cleaning" or "repairing"? Read
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=28099 and draw your own conclusions.

~BD~

Nov 28, 2008, 6:14:15 PM11/28/08

"Peter Foldes" <ok...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Tomas
>
> NO. Do not use any Registry Cleaning tools. They are all snake oil
> remedies and can cause more problems then needed.

--

Please consider this!

Microsoft says "Because computers can appear to function normally when
infected, Microsoft advises you to run this tool even if your computer seems
to be fine". Reference:

Elsewhere it has been said that Microsoft is giving the user's of it's
Windows product bad advice in offering the OneCare facility, available here:
http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/default.htm ....... *because* it includes
a registry cleaner. (I am aware that OneCare is to be withdrawn in 2009)

Have those of you here who have closer ties with Microsoft than us mere
mortals (I refer to the MVP's) advised Microsoft of 'the error of their
ways' in including a Registry cleaner within their OneCare service?.

Some might just think that they will be forever uncertain that their machine
is truly clean when gurus claim that they know better than the mighty
Microsoft itself. Cannot malware change registry keys? Wouldn't a registry
cleaner identify such changes and correct them?

How will the inexperienced user *ever* know the truth? .

Dave

FromTheRafters

Nov 28, 2008, 7:49:30 PM11/28/08

K. Problem solved. It turns out that the system CD includes a
mechanism for repairing the System. When you insert the System CD you
have two choices: To set up Windows XP now, Press Enter (this sounds
like a new install which will wipe the hard drive) and To repair the
system using the Recovery Console, press R.

It turns out that the first option automatically searches for an
existing windows installation. It the disk finds one, you have the
option to repair (without reformatting the drive). HP didn't know
about this and neither did I. HP support told me that my only option
was to reinstall the system. They confirmed this means reformatting
the drive. I spent $100 dollars paying for data recovery by Best Buy
(who also confirmed that reformat and new install was my only option).

***Seems like the minimum a support or repair person should know is
not being met. :o(

I guess the $100.00 is a reasonable fine for a failure to back-up in a
timely fashion. I hope this information will help others.

***Thanks for updating the thread.

WhidbeyTomas

Nov 28, 2008, 10:14:55 PM11/28/08
On Nov 28, 6:14 pm, "~BD~" <BoaterD...@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
> "Peter Foldes" <ok...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> > Tomas
>
> > NO. Do not use any Registry Cleaning tools. They are all snake oil
> > remedies and can cause more problems then needed.
>
> --
>
> Please consider this!
>
> Microsoft says "Because computers can appear to function normally when
> infected, Microsoft advises you to run this tool even if your computer seems
> to be fine". Reference:http://www.microsoft.com/security/malwareremove/default.mspx
>
> Elsewhere it has been said that Microsoft is giving the user's of it's
> Windows product bad advice in offering the OneCare facility, available here:http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/default.htm....... *because* it includes

> a registry cleaner. (I am aware that OneCare is to be withdrawn in 2009)
>
> Have those of you here who have closer ties with Microsoft than us mere
> mortals (I refer to the MVP's) advised Microsoft of  'the error of their
> ways' in including a Registry cleaner within their OneCare service?.
>
> Some might just think that they will be forever uncertain that their machine
> is truly clean when gurus claim that they know better than the mighty
> Microsoft itself. Cannot malware change registry keys? Wouldn't a registry
> cleaner identify such changes and correct them?
>
> How will the inexperienced user *ever* know the truth? .
>
> Dave

OK Gang. The system was restored. I can access my programs but now I
get a different error: "The procedure entry point SHRegGetValueW could
not be located in the dynamic link library SHLWAPI.dll. This does not
seem to affect the system. Just the same, I don't like it. I've
purchased Uniblue Registry Booster which promised to make my life oh
so much better. I paid the bucks and guess what? The error is
unimpressed (still there).

I've performed a full system scan with my Semantic Virus scan and it
finds nothing of concern (yes, I downloaded the most recent virus
definitions first). I don't know if there is a virus causing the
problem that Symantic can't see, if there is a registry problem that
Uniblue can't see.

The Real Truth MVP

Nov 28, 2008, 10:32:10 PM11/28/08
See if this helps http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/26873

"WhidbeyTomas" <whidbe...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Randem

Nov 28, 2008, 11:08:03 PM11/28/08
To find most very well hidden viruses try this -
http://www.randem.com/virusproblems.html

--
Randem Systems
Your Installation Specialist

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABe...@gmail.com> wrote in message

WhidbeyTomas

Nov 29, 2008, 4:16:51 PM11/29/08
> "WhidbeyTomas" <whidbeyto...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Thank Peter and PA Bear. I wasted another 30 bucks. The registry
cleaner was indeed snake oil. Unfortunately Peter, your scalpel
alternative is little better. If you think a novice is dangerous with
an automatic cleaner, just contemplate me with a scalpel. I just love
the concept of Windows. To make is work consistently it would be good
to have a doctorate or equivalent. My wife wanted me to fix these
problems instantly. She thinks that because I create Flash programs
and web pages I am computer literate. I told her that it a little
like driving a car; my expertize behind the wheel does not translate
into expertize under the hood.

I wish Microsoft would consider starting over.

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Nov 29, 2008, 4:53:05 PM11/29/08
WhidbeyTomas wrote:
<snip>

> Thank Peter and PA Bear. I wasted another 30 bucks. The registry
> cleaner was indeed snake oil. Unfortunately Peter, your scalpel
> alternative is little better. If you think a novice is dangerous with
> an automatic cleaner, just contemplate me with a scalpel. I just love
> the concept of Windows. To make is work consistently it would be good
> to have a doctorate or equivalent. My wife wanted me to fix these
> problems instantly. She thinks that because I create Flash programs
> and web pages I am computer literate. I told her that it a little
> like driving a car; my expertize behind the wheel does not translate
> into expertize under the hood.
>
> I wish Microsoft would consider starting over.

YW.

*You* could start over: http://www.dslreports.com/faq/10063

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

WhidbeyTomas

Dec 1, 2008, 1:31:42 PM12/1/08

Right you are PA Bear. That is just what I did. I may be slow, but
that understanding sort of came to me like reality slapping me in the
face.