Research: Windows Script Host or Windows Scripting Host

Michell Cronberg

Dec 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/3/99

Anyone knows why WSH was called Windows Scripting Host in the first release,
and changed name to Windows Script Host?

/Michell

Mike Whalen (MS)

Dec 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/3/99

1. We changed from "Scripting" to "Script" in all of our products, and WSH
was no exception. We had been inconsistent before, calling some things
"Script" and others "Scripting", which was getting a little confusing as the
product list grew, so we picked one.

2. Once you have WSH V2.0 installed on your machine, you can go ahead and
delete the old "Windows Scripting Host" keys. We don't do it because the
source code change for that didn't get implemented in time - it is not
dangerous to leave the keys there, so deleting them properly was a low
priority item. We put a high priority on adding new features, and ended up
not having enough time to do the low priority items. We could have deleted
them from the inf during setup, but that's dangerous if the keys aren't
actually there.

Mike Whalen
Windows Script Dev

Marcus E. Carlson <m...@hepco.com> wrote in message
> Additional questions:
>
> Can the registry keys referencing Windows Scripting Host be deleted? And
if
> so, why didn't the Windows Script Host install do it for us?
>
> Marcus

Marcus E. Carlson

Dec 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/3/99
Thanks for the info. Appreciate your honesty.

Marcus

Mike Whalen (MS) <mwh...@microsoft.com> wrote in message

> 1. We changed from "Scripting" to "Script" in all of our products, and WSH
> was no exception. We had been inconsistent before, calling some things

No!

> "Script" and others "Scripting", which was getting a little confusing as
the
> product list grew, so we picked one.

Good for you!

> 2. Once you have WSH V2.0 installed on your machine, you can go ahead and
> delete the old "Windows Scripting Host" keys. We don't do it because the
> source code change for that didn't get implemented in time - it is not
> dangerous to leave the keys there, so deleting them properly was a low
> priority item. We put a high priority on adding new features, and ended up
> not having enough time to do the low priority items. We could have deleted
> them from the inf during setup, but that's dangerous if the keys aren't
> actually there.

Got to pick your battles! Curious about inf files, they crash if there is no
existing key? I thought the system would just ignore?

Bill James

Dec 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/3/99
I checked and do not have any Windows Scripting keys. I installed Internet
Explorer 5.01 upgrade after I installed WSH 2.0, so perhaps it cleaned up
the old Registry keys, or RegClean or CleanSweep did.

Bill James