Gifs now Anigifs, How to turn them back?

RAVEN105A

May 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/8/97

I downloaded Uleads Gif Animater free trial and it turned all my gifs into
anigifs. I uninstalled the program, and now the gifs are all still
anigifs, and my Spry Viewer won't open them up. How do I turn them back
into gifs, or associate them with the Spry again?

K. M. Hale

May 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/8/97

Raven:? I hate to say it but your problem is impossible--non-animated gifs
cannot become animated! What probably happened is that when you put the
animation program in it took over your .gif viewing default spot--this
happens with a good many graphics programs (Paint Shop Pro and Longview are
a couple famous for doing it), they take over the default viewer position
from whatever it was assigned to, then won't open the files for you. When
that happens the new program substitutes its own format for all types of
graphics that match any format it reads.

The solution to this is not simple, but it can be solved.

First: I'd get rid of the offending program immediately, and replace it
with "Microangelo" which does not move into your default files and take
over.

Second: place this post in the Microsoft Explorer 3 newsgroup and hope a
guy named Mikey sees it. I had the same problem 4 or 5 months ago & he
came up with the fix. I am having problems finding it now--if I do I'll
email it to you (about 3-pages long as I recall).
It involves a number of changes in the "programs" section of the Windows
Explorer (not IE browser) options menu. Good luck----Ken
--
Ken Hale
4th Corner Web Innovations

RAVEN105A <rave...@aol.com> wrote in article
<19970508081...@ladder01.news.aol.com>...

K. M. Hale

May 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/8/97

Clarification of earlier post: Earlier I stated that the new graphics had
changed the "format" of your graphics. What I meant to say was that it had
changed the "identifier", or extension (.gif), of your graphics to match
its own. That is the problem which must be corrected--not changing the
format back to the original. Whatever you call it---it's still one helluva
problem, and I'm not up on how to solve it without the directions that I'm
missing.

A good start would be to go to the Control Panel and remove the new program
correctly with the "un-install" feature--might even be able to restore your
old graphic default viewer settings that way.

Anybody got any ideas? David A.--didn't you help me with this too back
when I had the same problem?

Mike or Cindy Challis

May 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/8/97

You cannot turn them back, your spry viewer likely does not like the format
that your animated .gifs are saved in.
Here is how to re-associate a file type.
This is not a major problem as Ken leads you to believe.
Simple open windows explorer, , options, file types.
Find the icon that is associated with a .gif.
Click on Edit, now click on the edit box to edit your association.
Find the program you wish to open .gifs with and select it.
Click ok.

K. M. Hale

May 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/8/97

Cindy: The gentleman's original complaint was that his gifs (not anigifs)
had been turned into anigifs. The answer you gave would be okay IF he only
had one type of graphic involved. If, as happened to me with Paint Shop
Pro and Longview, it has effected all of his graphic formats--he does have
a problem of some severity, as it means he will have to go through and
change ALL graphic formats to their original default viewer.

This becomes an even bigger problem if the uninstall feature fails to
uninstall the miscreant program properly (as it failed to do in both of my
cases).
No criticism intended, just a little more data. Ken
--
Ken Hale
http://www.premier1.net/~kmhale

Mike or Cindy Challis <bigc...@aone.com> wrote in article
<01bc5bb6$08a77920$214e...@bigchall.aone.com>...

Mike or Cindy Challis

May 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/8/97

I have this program and I use it every day.
ULead makes the best gif animator on the market.
The program does not just randomly change .gifs to animated .gifs, you need
to import two or more images and create the animation.
If it changed any association it would only change .gif, and a gif is a gif
whether it is animated or not it is still a gif and most any program can
view it as a static .gif even if it is animated.
If the program added .ani before the .gif then you will need to change the
file extenuation, this would be basar though!
I have never heard of a program changing file names without you saving them
as that file type.
And, like I said, I use this program every day and it has never created
anything with a file extension of .anigif.

Cindy Challis
Sea Graphics Web Design
SiteBuilder Network Level 2
ccha...@usa.net
http://www.buoy10.com/sea/

K. M. Hale <pi...@hotmail.com> wrote in article
<01bc5c0c$d93dcc00$e276...@premier1.premier1.net>...

Eileen.Nix

May 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/9/97

Cindy is right!

RAVEN105A

May 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/16/97

Apperently some of you missed what the solution was to this problem. The
Ulead program did change all my gifs into Anigif Documents, and I no
longer had Gif File as an option in the file lists. I reassociated them
from Uleads program (which I had uninstalled) to the Spry Viewer and it
would open them, but they were still Anigif Documents. The answer came
from Ulead (finally) and was that you highlight a gif file, go to
View/Options and File Type and remove Anigif Document as a file type. Then
all my gifs switched back to regular gif files, and I again had Gif File
as a file type in the list. Don't ask me how it happened, it just did.