MSPub breaks up a print to pdf into 2-page segments.

DOsser

Apr 7, 2006, 8:19:26 PM4/7/06
I have a print-merge with sheets 4-up to a page (a set of name badges
with source data from an Excel spreadsheet). When I print to a pdf
(using Adobe Acrobat/Distiller 6.0) it creates the first one with the
first 8 entries on 2 pages, then proceeds to ask for a new pdf name
for the next 2 pages of 8 entries, etc.

If there were only 8 or 10 badges involved, we could live with it :)
But the number is MUCH greater.

Does anybody have any idea why this is happening, and if so, how to
change its behaviour? My instinct tells me that this its publisher
that's causing it and not Acrobat, but I've been wrong before!

- Dosser

Mary Sauer

Apr 8, 2006, 5:30:19 AM4/8/06
What version Publisher? If you have 2003, open the Merge wizard, in step 5
covert the merge to a publication. All the badges will print in one document.

--
Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/

"DOsser" <Dos...@nodoze.tonight> wrote in message

Ed Bennett

Apr 8, 2006, 7:50:52 AM4/8/06
Mary Sauer <mary-...@mycolumbus.rr.com> was very recently heard to
utter:

> What version Publisher? If you have 2003, open the Merge wizard, in
> step 5 covert the merge to a publication. All the badges will print
> in one document.

But then there will be four copies of each badge...

Instead, you could simply adjust the Mail Merge Batch SizeT

There is a way you can set the number of records per batch using the
Registry (fix courtesy of KATMA)

Open registry using regedit.exe

Go to:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\<Pub Version>.0
\Publisher\Printing

Create new "string value" called:
NumberOfRecordsPerBatch

Double click and set a value for your batch size.

--
Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher

Mary Sauer

Apr 8, 2006, 10:42:15 AM4/8/06
Does the registry fix work in a PDF? I tried to find out why only 9 entries per
file prints at the Adobe web site. Adobe doesn't make finding stuff easy.
You are right about nine copies of each badge (I used a different label). I
didn't preview the result when I made a test merge. Haste makes waste...

"Ed Bennett" <the_...@mvps.org> wrote in message

Ed Bennett

Apr 8, 2006, 11:37:52 AM4/8/06
Mary Sauer <mary-...@mycolumbus.rr.com> was very recently heard to
utter:
> Does the registry fix work in a PDF? I tried to find out why only 9
> entries per file prints at the Adobe web site. Adobe doesn't make
> finding stuff easy. You are right about nine copies of each badge (I used
> a different
> label). I didn't preview the result when I made a test merge. Haste
> makes waste...

Publisher isn't aware that it's printing to a PDF - it's just printing the
file. The registry fix applies whenever the file printed.

DOsser

Apr 9, 2006, 11:01:45 AM4/9/06
:)
THANK YOU BOTH!

I tried the registry tweak first, and it worked perfectly!
Chalk up another happy camper.

- DOSser