Re: send newsletter in email

John Inzer

Aug 18, 2007, 8:04:33 AM8/18/07
Stickman wrote:
> I have been searching through posts but unable to find my answer. I
> am trying to send a newsletter in the email but I have 3 pages. I
> figured out how to send a one page newsletter as part of an email but
> not all 3--that has to be done as an attachment which I dont want to
> do in the event my listserve people dont have publisher.
>
> Can someone tell me how to incorportate a 3 or 4 page newsletter INTO
> the email?
>
> thanks
=================================
Maybe the following link will offer some ideas:

Sending a multi-page newsletter
as the body of an email by
JoAnn Paules, MVP Microsoft Publisher
http://tinyurl.com/ype5px

--

John Inzer
MS Picture It! -

Digital Image
Highlights and FAQs
http://tinyurl.com/aczzp

Notice
This is not tech support
I am a volunteer

Solutions that work for
me may not work for you

Proceed at your own risk

DavidF

Aug 18, 2007, 9:21:50 AM8/18/07
You don't have to buy and use a third party program as JoAnn suggests.
Everything can be done within Publisher.

DavidF

"John Inzer" <oo...@doobie.xyz> wrote in message

DavidF

Aug 18, 2007, 9:32:54 AM8/18/07
The best solution is to convert your print document to a PDF and attach
that. You can accomplish that in minutes, the file size will be relatively
small, and everyone with the Adobe viewer will see exactly the same thing.
You can get a free PDF tool at www.primopdf.com .

You can also convert your document to a web publication and copy and paste
the content on the extra pages to a single page, but you are likely to have
issues converting a print formatted document to html. There are print
formatting techniques that simply don't translate to html. For the best
results use the pdf option, or start with a single page email formatted
newsletter template and rebuild your newsletter...not a multiple page print
formatted template.

DavidF

"Stickman" <Stic...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

JoAnn Paules

Aug 18, 2007, 11:22:22 PM8/18/07
Now it can but if you still have Pub 2003 or older, nope. When I have time,
I'll update that article.

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

~~~~~
How to ask a question
http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375
"DavidF" <No...@nospam.com> wrote in message

DavidF

Aug 19, 2007, 10:31:13 PM8/19/07
No...you are mistaken. As I explained to you when you posted your
workaround, and at least once or twice since, there are several methods that
do not require buying additional software, converting to PDF, etc., based on
the material in "Create and send e-mail publications using Publisher":
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/HA010743381033.aspx

Using Pub 2003, here is just one of the methods that duplicates your
results, but is easier and faster. If you care to test this method, just
open one of the 4 page, print formatted newsletter templates, such as the
Accent Box newsletter template.

Then go to File > Convert to web page. You will see a dialog box that will
allow you to save a copy of the print publication if you want. I would
suggest that a user do this. It is always a good idea to keep back up copies
of any file before making major revisions. You will then get the option of
adding a navigation bar. In this case choose no. > Finish. You could also
just go to File > Page Setup > under Publication Type, choose Custom and
enter whatever width or height you want, but it is probably easier for the
user to convert to a web page and save as a different file. By converting to
a web page, you automatically end up with a default length of 48", or
specifically 4608 pixels, which is plenty of length for combining the four
pages in the newsletter. Note that the final email message page that is sent
will be only as long as the final element on that page.

Now go to page 2 of your document. Click anywhere on the page outside of a
design element, and go to Edit > Select All (Ctrl + A) to select all the
elements on your page. Then go to Arrange > Group (Ctrl + Shift + G). Then
Edit > Copy (Ctrl + C).

Then go back to your first page, scroll to the bottom of the content and
Edit > Paste (or right click and paste, or Ctrl + V). Move the group of
elements from the second page that you just pasted under the content of the
first page, and align them the way you want them (or use the Arrange or Snap
To functions). Repeat this process until you have copied all the pages onto
the first page, delete the old pages 2 - 4. You also have the option of
ungrouping the content that you paste onto the first page and delete and
rearrange the design elements as desired.

Then go to Tools > Options > Web Tab, and select "Send entire publication
page as a single JPG...". Chances are that will be the default.

Then go to File > Send Email > Send this page as a message. Assuming that
you are using Outlook 2003 or Outlook Express 5.X or 6.0, you will then see
the same heading appear above the page as you would see in Outlook or OE, so
fill out the To, CC, BCC and Subject fields as you would normally, and Send.
As I said, the page that will be sent will be only as long as the last
element on your page, hyperlinks will survive (if properly inserted), and
font and image size will remain the same as in your Publisher publication.

Faster and easier than your method and it is all done in Publisher.

One major problem with your method or this method, is that if the recipient
has their email client set to "text only", then you may not see the jpg
produced and sent as a message. Secondly, whether you use your method or
this easier method, you end up with a large file to email. For example, if
you use the Accent Box newsletter template provided by Publisher, you will
end up with an 769 kb email size, which is way too large to be sending to
anyone...especially anyone who doesn't have a broadband connection.

This is another reason to send the newsletter as an attached PDF file. For
example if you use primopdf, as your pdf converter, you can send the Accent
Box newsletter as a 76 kb file. When you convert the newsletter to PDF with
primopdf, hyperlinks do not survive the conversion, whether they are
inserted correctly, or whether the URL is typed out in full...at least not
when you use Acrobat Reader 6 to view the PDF file. That is probably not an
issue if the user is sending a print formatted newsletter anyway, as they
probably don't expect hyperlinks to be live in a print document.

Alternatively you can send one page in HTML format as described in the
Microsoft article, but then the person that receives it, again cannot have
their email client set to text only. If you choose to go this route, you
need to use
one of the templates you will find under Web Sites and E-mail > E-mail >
Newsletter. It will result in a more appropriate width (~5.8 inches or 760
pixels) for an email message, a much smaller file size, a web safe font,
and your text will be more crisp and clear and can be copied...it won't be
converted to an image unless you choose to send it that way. You can
increase the length as necessary and you just copy and paste the content
from your print formatted newsletter publication into the new email
formatted publication.

And of course if you have Publisher 2007, there is a wizard that
automatically moves all the content from other pages onto the first page.

There are yet other methods that I won't bother detailing here, but the
bottom line is that you do not need to buy additional software or go through
all the steps required in your workaround...it can all be done within
Publisher.

DavidF

"JoAnn Paules" <jl_p...@hotnospammail.com> wrote in message