simultaneous internet and vpn access problems

T. Balfour

Dec 10, 2001, 9:07:26 AM12/10/01
hello:

i'm trying to set up a W2K client to access our W2K VPN server via
PPTP over a cable modem connection.

I can connect to the VPN just fine, but when I do I lose my local
internet connection and must disconnect the VPN to browse the
web/internet. I've done a lot of searching on google to find the
cause of the problem and nothing I've tried has worked.

I've tried checking/unchecking the "use default gateway on remote
network" on the VPN connectoid and when it is checked, the VPN
connection works but the internet does not and when it is not checked,
the internet works and the VPN doesn't.

I'm beginning to think that I may need to change something in the
ROUTE table, but don't know what. I'm using 10.x.x.x subnet for my
VPN addressing schemata.

Can anyone advise?

thanks,

t.b.
austin, tx

phillip_windell

Dec 10, 2001, 11:47:07 AM12/10/01
Is the client sitting "outside" the system? It should be.

The Gateway setting should be "unchecked".

(If not using RRAS, like Win9x clients)
The clients "normal" addressing should be a different subnet from the system
you are "VPNing" into, otherwise it won't know how to route by default
unless you create static routes with the Router -Add command so it knows to
use certain adapters for certain destinatoins. But even that could be a
problem since the VPN adapter may get a different IP each time and if you
use a static route you would want a static addres for the VPN adapter.

If you do this via RRAS on the client it can handle the dynamic addressing
because it can just look at the VPN Adapter and get the address and adjust
automatically while static "NT type" routing cannot.

You may need a Wins Server on the inside of the System you are "calling" and
the Wins Server IP should be in the Connectoid settings. This is because VPN
does not provide name resolution on its own.

--

Phillip Windell (MCP)
Network Administrator

"T. Balfour" <bal...@outer.net> wrote in message

Edgar Yanez [MS]

Dec 10, 2001, 9:07:35 PM12/10/01
Balfour,

VPN is Virtual Private Network , meaning that all the settings on your VPN connection will be use by your computer. You must enable connection sharing for
the VPN connection unless you want to reconfigure all your settings, dns, wins, default gateway each time you connect to the VPN. This also apply to your
clients.
In conclusion, VPN is a tunneling connection that blinds the connection that you are connected. Unless you change the gateway, but then you just knock
yourself out of the VPN connection.

Thank You
Edgar Yanez
Microsoft Developer Support

Recent viruses on the Internet underscore the threat to all computer users and highlight challenges facing the entire industry in providing security that
everyone needs to conduct business. I encourage you to sign up to receive automatic notification of Microsoft Security Bulletins by visiting
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/security/bulletin/notify.asp. For more information on security, our Strategic Technology
Protection Program and to order your FREE Security Tool Kit, please visit http://www.microsoft.com/security. We will be happy to answer any questions or
provide assistance with your security needs.

Note: This article has no warranties implicit or explicit.
All the content is given on the "as is" basis and the user
takes full responsibility for its use and assumption.
Microsoft Corporation Copyright 2001
All Rights Reserved

Paul

Dec 11, 2001, 8:42:41 AM12/11/01
Say your network at the office is 192.168.xxx.xxx

set your dial up connection to use a static IP like: 192.168.1.240....then
statically code your dns and wins servers in that connection.

then put this route in your computer at home

route add 192.168.000.000 mask 255.255.000.000 192.168.1.240 metric 1 -p

-p is persistant... it only works on NT, 2000 or XP though.