Visual C++ Runtime Err On start up of Project 2k2

Tim_S

Dec 30, 2003, 8:33:04 PM12/30/03
I am running Windows XP Pro on a Domain with Full Windows Update Patches
applied

I have Full Office XP Pro w/Front Page installed (2k2 version) with Full
Officeupdate patches applied.
I have Visio 2k2 installed.
I have Project 2k2 Installed. (Performed Custom installation with Full
Packages selected for installation)

Issue:
All applications except Project 2k2 runs fine. On opening Project I get
this error.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
X Runtime Error!
Program: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\WINPROJ.EXE

abnormal program termination

[OK]
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I tried opening Project in its Safe mode (starting project with CTRL key
held but same problem occurs).
I have tried uninstalling Project and reinstalling but still same issue.

After pressing the OK button or X in corner, Project closes.

How do I fix? Any solutions? Tried Technet but no luck.

Thanks

Mike Glen

Dec 31, 2003, 6:35:30 AM12/31/03
Hi Tim,

Try posting on the developer newsgroup. Please see FAQ Item: 24. Project
Newsgroups. FAQs, companion products and other useful Project information
can be seen at this web address: http://www.mvps.org/project/.

Mike Glen
Project MVP

"Tim_S" <nospams...@cox.net> wrote in message

Tim_S

Dec 31, 2003, 7:31:38 PM12/31/03
Found the solution and what caused the problem.

If you install Adobe Acrobat 6 (not the reader but full application) Then
you uninstall / reinstall OfficeXP for some reason (which I did), you will
get this error everytime you execute MS Project.

Theory,
There is an add-in (to create adobe files) that tries to execute some sort
of macro in project. I believe it is the adobe menu bar. When the macro
executes (immediately after startup) you will get the runtime error if the
Adobe 6 is not installed LAST.

Solution:
Uninstall Adobe 6, then Open Project. Make sure it opens without errors. If
it still doesn't open without errors, remove the entire OfficeXP package.
Reinstall OfficeXP, Project and open each application prior to installing
service packs. If successful, then install service patches. After Office
Suite is updated 100%, reinstall Adobe 6.

On one machine I had to reinstall Office, on another I just uninstalled
Adobe, then opened project. After successful opening, I reinstalled Adobe 6
and Project worked fine.

Also when opening Office applications for the first time after Adobe
install, make sure you Enable and Trust Macro's from Adobe.

Hope this helps someone... I know I worked on this for 16 hours...
"Mike Glen" <glenATmvps.org> wrote in message

Mike Glen

Jan 1, 2004, 12:52:54 PM1/1/04
Hi Tim,

Thanks for sharing your solution with us all.

Have a happy new year.

- Mike Glen
MS Project MVP