server application error

Kathy

Sep 12, 2002, 11:36:12 AM9/12/02
I have office xp - am having an issue when I try to edit
a chart saved in powerpoint. I get the message The
server application, source file or item can't be found or
returned an unknown error. You may need to reinstall
server application.

What do I do in very layperson terms? I need this up &
running properly... have sp1 downloaded already.
Thanks for your help

Sonia

Sep 12, 2002, 12:03:40 PM9/12/02
Ah, and it is a problem introduced with SP1 if you have Norton AntiVirus
running and the Office Plug-in enabled. Open Norton AntiVirus, click on
Options, under "Other" select Miscellaneous and uncheck the box labled
"Enable Office Plug-in". Close Norton and return to PowerPoint and try
editing the chart again. All should be well.
--

Sonia, Microsoft PowerPoint MVP Team
http://www.soniacoleman.com

"Kathy" <time...@aol.com> wrote in message

Anette Linnea

Sep 12, 2002, 12:22:59 PM9/12/02

"Kathy" <time...@aol.com> wrote in message
> I have office xp - am having an issue when I try to edit
> a chart saved in powerpoint. I get the message The
> server application, source file or item can't be found or
> returned an unknown error. You may need to reinstall
> server application.

Which kind of chart?
I have experienced something like that with a Visio-drawing from a "wrong"
version.

Kind regards
Anette Linnea

Steve Rindsberg

Sep 12, 2002, 3:10:40 PM9/12/02
Sonia's got it ..

MS has just published a new page about this that gives detailed info on
solving the problem.

Service Pack 2 (SP2) for Office XP Released
http://www.rdpslides.com/pptfaq/FAQ00339.htm

--
Steve Rindsberg PPT MVP
PPT FAQ: http://www.pptfaq.com

Sonia

Sep 12, 2002, 3:18:37 PM9/12/02
Yeh, and now I notice that she said SP-1, not SP-2. I hope it was a typo
and we've helped not confused.

"Steve Rindsberg" <ab...@localhost.com> wrote in message

Echo S

Sep 12, 2002, 11:04:39 PM9/12/02
If it's really just SP-1, reregistering Graph often helps.

This MSKB article refers to PPT 97, not 2000 or 2002, but it might give
you some ideas.
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q163/4/56.asp

You might also want to try reregistering Graph.
Go to Start, Run and type
"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\Graph.exe" /regserver
(Include quotes and make sure the path matches your setup. You'll also
want to check to see if you have more than one version of Graph
around--Graph8.exe comes with PPT97, Graph9.exe comes with PPT2000, and
Graph.exe comes with PPT2002/PPTXP. )

(Steve, if you have an FAQ on the SP-2 issue with graphs and that error,
could you add something with the above for "pre SP-2"? Might make life
easier and less confusing for us all. <g>)

--
***DO NOT POST ATTACHMENTS TO THIS NEWSGROUP***
Echo [MS PPT MVP]

"Sonia" <sc...@nowhere.com> wrote in message