Hotmail

Jimmy

Sep 10, 2009, 3:49:41 AM9/10/09
Hi, everyone

I used the Outlook Express to get the Hotmail account's email but I don't
know why it is always saying my user name and password is incorrect. In
fact, I tried to visit the Hotmail.com and then successfully logged. I can
see the new email.

Can you tell me what is happen ??

Thanks
Jimmy

Ron Sommer

Sep 10, 2009, 6:50:21 AM9/10/09
Make sure that Secure Password Authentication is not checked.
My server requires authentication is checked.
https://windowslivehelp.com/solutions/settings/archive/2009/02/18/how-to-add-your-e-mail-account-to-microsoft-outlook-express.aspx
--
Ron Sommer
MVP-Mail

"Jimmy" <hk2...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

N. Miller

Sep 10, 2009, 1:23:56 PM9/10/09

As of Sept. 1, 2009, Hotmail is no longer available through clients using
the WebDAV protocol, such as MS Outlook Express. You really only have two

If you would prefer to keep MSOE, instead of installing a newer email
application, you will have to set up POP3/SMTP access:

<http://windowslivehelp.com/solutions/settings/archive/2009/02/18/how-to-add-your-e-mail-account-to-microsoft-outlook-express.aspx>

If you do this, you need to understand: POP3 is not a "synchronizing"
protocol. It only downloads, and only the Inbox. If you need to keep email
on the Hotmail server, you need to use the Account Properties, Advanced tab,
to check, "Leave a copy of the message on the server".

If you must have folder synchronization, and can stand the awful colors of
the GUI interface, you will need to download Windows Live Mail:

http://download.live.com/wlmail

That is an installer for the full Windows Live Essentials suite, and you
will have to decide whether you want the other parts of the suite during the
install; they are selectable, whether to install, or not.

If you choose to install Windows Live Mail, there is a help group
specifically for that product:

--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Sep 10, 2009, 7:20:54 PM9/10/09
Continuing DAV protocol retirement (02 Jun-09)
http://mailcall.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!CC9301187A51FE33!50889.entry

Sending reported error (0x800CCC33): "Access to the account was denied.
Verify that your username and password are correct. The server responded
'forbidden' (02 Sept-09)
http://windowslivehelp.com/community/t/108226.aspx

FAQ: Accessing Hotmail on mail programs (04 May/03 Sept-09)
http://windowslivehelp.com/solutions/dav/archive/2009/05/04/frequently-asked-questions.aspx

NB: You will have to create a new Hotmail account via Tools | Accounts |
Mail, you cannot edit the old one.

Compare your new account's configuration settings to those listed on this
page:
http://liveunplugged.spaces.live.com/Blog/cns!F92775FC46A390CA!422.entry

TIP: OE Tools | Accounts | Mail | [new Hotmail POP3 account] | Properties |
Servers | Incoming mail server | Log on using Secure Password Authentication
<=Do NOT check/enable this option!

TIP: OE Tools | Accounts | Mail | [new Hotmail POP3 account] | Properties |
Servers | Outgoing mail server | My server requires authentication
<=check/enable this option

TIP: Outgoing (SMTP) server port will need to be 587, not 25, for most
users.

TIP: Disable email scanning by your anti-virus application. It provides no
additional protection and it may be causing a problem.

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
www.banthecheck.com

Lone Star

Sep 11, 2009, 7:12:19 PM9/11/09

"N. Miller" <anon...@msnews.aosake.net> wrote in message

> On Thu, 10 Sep 2009 15:49:41 +0800, Jimmy wrote:
>
>> Hi, everyone
>>
>> I used the Outlook Express to get the Hotmail account's email but I don't
>> know why it is always saying my user name and password is incorrect. In
>> fact, I tried to visit the Hotmail.com and then successfully logged. I
>> can
>> see the new email.
>>
>> Can you tell me what is happen ??
>
> As of Sept. 1, 2009, Hotmail is no longer available through clients using
> the WebDAV protocol, such as MS Outlook Express. You really only have two

Yours is the only relevant reply to the OP. He should have gotten multiple
emails stating that as of Sep 1, he would have to make changes if using
Outlook Express.

EW

N. Miller

Sep 12, 2009, 12:29:22 AM9/12/09

PA Bear also posted relevant information. FWIW, I checked all four of my
Hotmail accounts; only two have the WebDAV discontinuance notifications.