Email Receipt Confirmation?

Adela

Jan 26, 2008, 12:51:51 PM1/26/08
Hi, would anyone know how I can use the "Email Receipt Confirmation" just
once on a message I want to send now? I didnt even find this function when
I looked around. I have OE 6.0 and WinXP.

Thank you very much! Adela

Bruce Hagen

Jan 26, 2008, 1:01:33 PM1/26/08
Tools | Options | Receipts. Check the appropriate box.

Note that this only asks for the recipient to send confirmation. It is not
automatic or mandatory.
--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP Outlook Express

"Adela" <nueva...@rcn.com> wrote in message

Jerry

Jan 26, 2008, 1:03:38 PM1/26/08
When you open a new message its under TOOLS.

Jerry

Adela

Jan 26, 2008, 1:11:48 PM1/26/08
Thanks so much Bruce and Jerry! Yes, all I wanted was to send to the
recipient a request to confirm the receipt. But I wanted it to work only on
this one message that I'll send today. Is there anything special I have to
do so that it won't continue requesting the confirmaition to this and other
recipients?

Thanks again! Adela

"Bruce Hagen" <Nos...@mymail.invalid> wrote in message

Bruce Hagen

Jan 26, 2008, 1:19:12 PM1/26/08
If you do it like Jerry said, it is a one-time request. Otherwise, go back
and uncheck the box when you're done.

--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP Outlook Express
Imperial Beach, CA

"Adela" <nueva...@rcn.com> wrote in message

Adela

Jan 26, 2008, 1:24:56 PM1/26/08
P.S. I just noticed that it also shows "Returning Red Receipts" and the dot
was placed by "Notify me for Each Read Receipt". I just wonder what it
means as the dot there wasn't put in by me...

I did send my msg with the request for confirmaiton. Thanks so much
again!!! Adela

VanguardLH

Jan 26, 2008, 1:29:08 PM1/26/08
"Adela" wrote in message

> Hi, would anyone know how I can use the "Email Receipt Confirmation"
> just once on a message I want to send now? I didnt even find this
> function when I looked around. I have OE 6.0 and WinXP.

Follow the other posts on how to add the disposition header that
*asks* the recipient to send back a new e-mail as the read receipt.
Probably won't work, though. Most users configure their e-mail client
to NOT send back read receipts. Either they configure the option
immediately on installing or using that client to ignore those
requests or they get fed up with the prompts and then configure their
e-mail client to ignore those requests. The default might be to
Prompt but that generates a nag to the recipient who then configures
to Ignore (never send). Their e-mail client will automatically ignore
your request or they will reply No to the prompt. Don't expect read
receipts to work. It is the recipient's choice and they likely have
chosen to never send read receipts.

Only in a corporate setting with a company policy that dictates that
automatic read receipts be enabled can you expect to get any (and any
company enforcing that policy had better be stripping out the
Disposition-Notification-To header on inbound e-mails from external
senders). Read receipts work by the sender adding the
Disposition-Notification-To header to their e-mail which triggers the
recipient's e-mail client regarding the *request*; see RFC 2298,
section 2 (ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc2298.txt). It is also
possible the Read-Receipt-To or Return-Receipt-To headers are used to
request a read receipt but they are non-standard and discouraged.

Do you know for a fact that the recipient of your e-mails has
configured their e-mail client to automatically send the requested
read receipts, or that the recipient will respond Yes to send the read
receipt if prompted?

Adela

Jan 26, 2008, 9:31:37 PM1/26/08
Thanks very much Vanguard! I already sent my email with the request to
confirm receipt. As to your paragraph:

<<Do you know for a fact that the recipient of your e-mails has
configured their e-mail client to automatically send the requested
read receipts, or that the recipient will respond Yes to send the read
receipt if prompted? >>

I dont' know whether this recipient configured to answer the confirmations
or not, but thought I want to send it to them anyway at least they'll see I
want to record this email, even in the incomplete way in which OE has
arranged this. LOL! I'm sure they'll click on "No"......

I just realize that I too receive confirmation requests which I'd love to
undo. So I changed my configuration from "Send read receipt" to "Never send
read receipt" and I hope I did it the right way. All of this I learned from
you, Bruce and Jerry. :o)

Thank you all so much again. Adela

"VanguardLH" <Vangu...@mail.invalid> wrote in message

Adela

Jan 26, 2008, 9:38:10 PM1/26/08
Thanks to you, Bruce, I was able to do it and went back and reversed it to
what it was when I was finished. Thanks so much again! Adela

"Bruce Hagen" <Nos...@mymail.invalid> wrote in message

Bruce Hagen

Jan 26, 2008, 9:41:55 PM1/26/08
You're welcome.