How can I stop unwarranted compact outlook express prompts ?

Steve

Dec 9, 2007, 7:53:32 AM12/9/07
Hi, I have been running outlook express for years and years, ...3 months or
so ago I did a PC rebuild. I have now outlook express running again and have
so for a few weeks, having imported my backed up emails using the dbx
method. Having said that, first time the backup worked, but then a few weeks
ago due to a need to install a new bootdrive, I did the backup of the dbx
files, then it wouldnt recognise them when I came to reinstate them, so I
ended up losing two months of emails...sod !

This last few days every time I close Outlook Express I get a message saying
that Outlook Express can compress my emails etc, I say No as knowing my
luck something will go wrong, unless I am forced to, I dont want to risk
that again, hence I dont want to risk going through what others have
experienced when going yes to compact.
Do I really want my inbox images etc compressed into crappy jpg etc is
another thought as to what it might do.
Will it search compressed messages as quickly is another worry.
Looking on the internet users have gone yes then lost their emails, ..guess
my caution is justified, or PC got so far and froze, so they lost part of
them.
I certainly now wish not to do so now, having had more things go wrong this
last 3 months in life than the last 3 yrs !!

How can I stop it bugging me with that message ?...its never done that ever
before.

Consider the fact that when restoring my emails I only imported my sent
items and inbox dbx files, I never chose the deleted items folder, so why
with only a few deletes is it wishing to lessen their space, from what I
read now this compression is aimed at truly lessening deleted email folder
size, as deleting does not in fact delete.
Well in my case there is hardly anything deleted since the rebuild, why
didnt I get such a message in ten yrs before the rebuild ?

Very suspicious of this indeed.

Steve

Bruce Hagen

Dec 9, 2007, 10:01:36 AM12/9/07
You can not turn off the prompt. If you didn't get this message to compact
before the rebuild, your XP was not up to date. It does not compress
anything. Compacting gets rid of space that was taken up in your dbx files.

Why does OE insist on compacting folders when I close it?:
http://www.insideoe.com/faqs/why.htm#compact

About File Corruption:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/IE/community/columns/filecorruption.mspx

Compacting your folders periodically is a must to keep OE functioning well
and at some point, you may lose all your saved messages if you don't. When
you delete, or move messages, the space they had used remains until you
compact. Never touch anything until the compacting is finished.

See:
www.oehelp.com/OETips.aspx#2

With SP2, automatic background compacting was removed due to problems it
caused. Now you will get a prompt to compact after 100 OE closings, which
you should do, and don't touch anything until it has finished. If you
compact manually, at your convenience, this will also set the counter back
to zero. See this for more information:
http://www.insideoe.com/files/maintain.htm#compact

If you are fully patched, you will also now see a copy of your dbx files
being copied to the Recycle Bin as BAK files. Should something go awry when
compacting, the messages can easily be restored from this backup. A manual
compact will also reset the counter in the registry back to zero now.

For more info, see the information outlined in red here:
www.oehelp.com/OETips.aspx#2

To keep things running smooth, and for faster compacting:

Do not archive mail in default OE folders. They will eventually become
corrupt and you may lose mail. Create your own user defined folders for
storing mail and move your mail to them. Empty Deleted Items folder
regularly. Keep user created folders under 100MB, and Default folders as
empty as is feasible.

And backup often.

Backup and Restore:

http://www.insideoutlookexpress.com/backup/

http://www.oehelp.com/backup.aspx

Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP Outlook Express
Imperial Beach, CA

"Steve" <dor...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message

Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM

Dec 9, 2007, 12:01:16 PM12/9/07
"Steve" <dor...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message

Compacting of folders is necessary or they will become corrupted or else so
large that they can no longer be used. Deleting a message does not reclaim
the space. The message is marked as deleted but is still there until the
folder is compacted. That is why programs such as DBXtract work.

If a user closes compacting while compacting is in progress data loss will
probably occur.

Open OE and close it and let it compact the messages. After doing this it
won't ask again until you have closed OE 100 times.

If you have WinXP SP2 you will want this update:
MS06-076: Cumulative security update for Outlook Express
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923694
which you do, indeed, have.

Home users:
Microsoft security updates for December 2006
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/update/bulletins/200612.mspx

IT Professionals:
Microsoft Security Bulletin MS06-076
Cumulative Security Update for Outlook Express (923694)
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms06-076.mspx

These articles contains information on how to restore from the backup 923694
makes.

--
Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM
www.fjsmjs.com

VanguardLH

Dec 9, 2007, 1:42:36 PM12/9/07
"Steve" wrote in message
> [...]

The bigger are your .dbx files the slower becomes OE. I've never
gotten the automatic prompt which occurs after 100+ uses of OE because
I compact before then. If you had updated your OS then OE would've
been also updated so it prompts after 100 uses of it to compact the
.dbx files. Compacting does not remove anything from the Deleted
Items folder because, well, nothing has been deleted that is in that
folder. All the items are obviously still there. That is the *name*
of the folder. "Deleting" an item only *moves* it to the Deleted
Items folder but obviously the item still exists. When you
[permanently] delete an item, it won't be available in ANY folder.
Its status changes to 'deleted' which OE won't display it but it still
occupies space within the database file. Not until compaction are the
delete-marked items actually physically purged from the database files
(and that's why you see their size decrease when you compact them).
After 100+ uses of OE, you will continue to get a prompt telling you
to compact your database files until you allow the compaction or until
you edit the registry item that tracks the usage count of OE.

If you don't run backups then you have deemed your data as unimportant
or reproducible. Start doing backups. Right now you're worried about
compacting losing your mails. So what are you going to do with the
hard drive crashes, a malcontent or boob wipes your partitions, or you
get infected and your files get deleted?

Laughingstar~*

Dec 9, 2007, 3:01:53 PM12/9/07
I've backed up my emails per instructions using DBXtract and created a
location in C: as "mailbu" 1 and 2, now they are not there.

I'm not sure how to retrieve them using DBXtract when I want to look for
something.

These programs are not user-friendly, and obviously create anxiety amongst
many of us. Hence, I save everything I need to Word, as a .eml file, and
back up using CDRWs.

I'd love something easier, more accessible, and less complicated.

thank you.

"VanguardLH" <Vangu...@mail.invalid> wrote in message

Laughingstar~*

Dec 9, 2007, 5:07:11 PM12/9/07
sorry, i seem to have "done it" again ...

"Laughingstar~*" <uP_n_aWay...@nOtMeyahoo.com> wrote in message

Steve

Dec 9, 2007, 5:29:38 PM12/9/07
Many thanks for the advice,
just seemed odd that I have never had this before, ever since XPhome and
SP1, nothing, win98 nothing, then after SP2, get this prompt.
I gather its a SP2 addition.
Shall have to do it to get rid of that prompt each time, after a backup of
course, hope it doesnt screw up my emails like it did for some other
posters, and hope that this time my backups are recoverable. I have always
found backing up email the most nail biting thing of any rebuild. Did it as
per Msoft KB article last time, still stuffed.
Shall test them prior to risking them this time.
Whats the best way to test my backup ?
Steve

"Laughingstar~*" <uP_n_aWay...@nOtMeyahoo.com> wrote in message

Bruce Hagen

Dec 9, 2007, 7:49:31 PM12/9/07
This freeware tool backs up everything in OE in seconds. Disregard what is
written in red. That is referring to a different program.

Outlook Express Quick Backup (OEQB):

You should really backup OE daily. There are many more things that can cause
a loss of messages, such as e-mail scanning. At least with XP/SP2, he dbx
files are backed up when you compact. I would suggest you use this program,
or a like one, to be extra careful.

--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP Outlook Express
Imperial Beach, CA

"Steve" <dor...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message

Laughingstar~*

Dec 10, 2007, 2:14:37 AM12/10/07
TY, Bruce, I will.
"Bruce Hagen" <Nos...@mymail.invalid> wrote in message

Laughingstar~*

Dec 10, 2007, 3:01:45 AM12/10/07
Bruce, I downloaded that some time ago; it's the one I can't find the
folders I created for it on the C: drive...both back-ups are gone, now.

It seemed difficult at best, to create files, and back them up to it, but
also to retrieve them if needed. I'll check again, but ...

Laughingstar~*

Dec 10, 2007, 3:27:33 AM12/10/07
wow, that isn't what I used before -- that was a snap. Thank you! sheesh. I
can sleep.

Steve

Dec 12, 2007, 6:07:47 PM12/12/07
Cheers Bruce,
Shall do so, if I do it daily then I must also do other vital files I have,
need to get a backup prog running that knows what was created and appends to
a caddy or USB external drive, though it was one of those that csued
impromptu reboots and 3 months of rebuild ! So much to do following this
long and lengthy rebuild these last tasks are proving difficult to find time
for.
Will try the link out, many thanks indeed.
Steve

Bruce Hagen

Dec 12, 2007, 8:13:37 PM12/12/07
OEQB backs up everything related to OE. Messages, identities, rules, etc.

If you are asking about non-OE files, like in My Documents, they have to be
backed up separately. I used to burn My Docs to a rewritable CD every couple
of weeks as I kept every user created Windows file there. It grew and now I
use a flash drive.

--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP Outlook Express
Imperial Beach, CA

"Steve" <dor...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message

avi...@comcast.net

Jan 1, 2008, 1:07:45 PM1/1/08

I get the same thing. If you decide to alllow OE to compact on a
laptop, make sure if you are on battery power to plug in your AC
adapter. I didn't once and my battery depleted during the operation.
Lost all inbox e-mails and system restore did not help, nor did
restoring an image from a week earlier. Bottom line is to make sure
your laptop has reliable power when you decide to compact.

George

richardmckim

Dec 26, 2008, 1:23:32 PM12/26/08
I do a lot of work with my Outlook Express program. I have about 45,000 emails stored and available within the program.

However, because of this, I have developed a quick back-up trick that I use to save my emails.

Step #1 Create an Odd-Named folder in Outlook Express such as "Test-Folder" (This makes the file easy to find EXACTLY) If you were to search for "Inbox.dbx" you may find several (Back Up files etc) that are not the ones you are looking for. So, by creating a unusually named Folder, you are sure to find only one, (the one you want)

Step #2 Do a global Search on your "C" drive for "Test-Folder.dbx" (Or other name you used) Be sure to have the search include system folders and hidden folders.

This will bring you to the folder that has all your Outlook Express files/folders in the "DBX" form.

Click on the UP-Folder button which brings you to the "Outlook Express" folder that actually holds all the files.

Step #3 Right click on the "Outlook Express" folder and then select "Creat Short Cut". Move the short cut button (drag it) to your desk top or where ever you want it for future use. This will make a short cut button to get you to this folder quickly and easily when you want to make a back up again.

Step #4 Open the "Outlook Express" folder and select "ALL" then copy and paste them into the Back-Up folder or place that you want to store all your email back ups.

Note: It is important that you copy ALL these files even though they are not the "Folders" you have created in the Outlook Express program. These other files contain important information on the structure of your folder system.

When You need to Restore the files into Outlook Express:

If you have backed up your OE Files like I have showed you above, then you can easily restore them to your program if and when needed.

(If you have reinstalled your XP or OE)

You simply reload the Outlook Express program as you normally do, by starting it. It asks a few questions and then it is ready to go.

At this point there are no emails in the program, and just a few folders such as inbox, sent, etc.

Now, close the program out. Go to the Outlook Express folder where your "DBX" files are stored by Outlook Express (use the short cut if you made one).

Here you will find the "Starting Folders" that the program uses and JUST created. (They are empty still)

DELETE ALL these files entirely.

NOTE: If you did not re-install XP, and are just restoring your Back-up files, IN PLACE OF THE FILES/FOLDERS THAT ARE NOW IN USE, then DELETE these files/folders to get ready for the "Old-Backed Up" ones to be copied into their place.

Then copy ALL the folders/Files that you had backed up into this folder.

Open Outlook Express and it will now look exactly like it did when you first backed it up.

NOTE: This back up only works for your Emails. You will have to re-enter your email "Accounts" and change/adjust the "Colums" to the ones you like to use.

Bonus!!!!

If you have noticed that your Outlook Express will no longer move emails from the "OutBox" to the Sent Folder AND it keeps sending the same email again and again until you delete the email from the OutBox, then here is how you fix it.

I have discovered that OE can only handle a certain amount of emails per Folder. When that folder is FULL, no more emails will be added.

Since, the Sent folder keeps a copy of every email sent, this is usually the first folder to "Fill-Up".

#1) If you want to still have access to your Old "Sent" emails.

Make a New Folder under "INBOX" called "OLD-Sent".

Now, close the program out. Go to the Outlook Express folder where your "DBX" files are stored by Outlook Express (use the short cut if you made one).

Find the "Old-Sent.dbx" folder that you just created. DELETE It.

Then Find The "Sent.dbx" Folder. Right Click on it. Select "Re-Name", then change the name of this file to" "Old-Sent.dbx".

NOTE: You will no longer have a folder called "Sent.dbx", but that is O.K. There are about 4 Folders such as Inbox, Outbox, Sent etc, that the OE program will Automatically create if they are not present.

Now, open Outlook Express. You will find that the Sent Folder will be empty, and your "Old-Sent" folder will be full. Your program will now work perfectly moving emails that were sent from the Outbox to the Sent folder.

NOTE: Your new folder "Old-Sent" will be "Organized" like your other folders and not like the Sent Folder. The collums will be in different places and the information will be in a different order. (Only The Sent Folder is organized by sent date) However, all the emails you have sent will be at your fingertips.

Also Note: If you don't care to save your old sent files, just Close out OE and then DELETE the "Sent.dbx" folder and then re-open OE and you will be ready to go.

Also Note: This "Fix" will work for any other folder that "Fills Up" in OE.

Finely, if you are like me and like to have things "Organized", then you can move the "Old-Sent" folder "Under" or "Into" the Sent Folder. This way, your Sent emails are in the same place.

Note: You can have as many folders "Under" or "In" other folders (As Sub-Folders) without filling them up. Therefore, moving the "Old-Sent" folder which is Full, into the new Sent Folder does not Fill up the new folder. It only "Shows" under that same heading, but the Sub-Folders are not actually stored "IN" the folder that they are displayed under(As Sub-Folders).

Best Wishes and Good Luck!!

Richard McKim
Florida

Bruce Hagen

Dec 26, 2008, 1:37:16 PM12/26/08
That seems like a whole lot of work when this freeware program backs up
everything in OE including message rules, Blocked Senders, the Address Book
and all your settings just as they are now with a couple of clicks.

This freeware tool backs up everything in OE in seconds. Disregard what is
written in red. That is referring to a different program.

Outlook Express Quick Backup (OEQB):

If you wanted to backup the way you do, all you would really have to do is
to right click on the Outlook Express message store folder, drag it to the
Desktop or where ever you want an select Copy Here.

General precautions for Outlook Express:

Do not archive mail in default OE folders. They will eventually become

corrupt. Create your own user defined folders for storing mail and move your

mail to them. Empty Deleted Items folder regularly. Keep user created
folders under 100MB, and Default folders as empty as is feasible.

After you are done, follow up by compacting your folders manually while
working *offline* and do it often.

Click on Outlook Express at the top of the folder tree so no folders are
open. Then: File | Work Offline (or double click Working Online in the
Status Bar). File | Folder | Compact all folders. Don't touch anything until
the compacting is completed.

Turn off e-mail scanning in your anti-virus program. It is a redundant layer
of protection that eats up CPUs and causes a multitude of problems such as
time-outs and account setting changes. Your up-to-date A/V program will
continue to protect you sufficiently. For more, see:
http://www.oehelp.com/OETips.aspx#3

In Tools | Options | Maintenance: Uncheck Compact messages in background and
leave it unchecked. {N/A if running XP/SP2}.
--

Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP Outlook Express

Stay warm! *Laughingstar*

Dec 26, 2008, 4:05:54 PM12/26/08
Bravo, again, Bruce. love OEQB - not sure how I'd 'find' them again, but at
least they're saved. ;-))
Happy New Year!

fazzed out

Feb 12, 2009, 6:06:01 AM2/12/09
This is vital. I run internet explorer and outlook express on my computer.
Last night it offered to free up disc space by compressing my email files.
This morning there are no records of Sent emails more recent than 25-11-2008.
Given that these are vital for my business interests and my work as Chair of
a school governing body how do I RETRIEVE THEM?

In distress,

fazzed out

fazzed out

Feb 12, 2009, 6:08:01 AM2/12/09
Back up is vital. I run internet explorer and outlook express on my

Bruce Hagen

Feb 12, 2009, 7:28:45 AM2/12/09
Please start your own new thread and explain /your/ problem in detail.
--

Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP Outlook Express

"fazzed out" <fazz...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Steve Cochran

Feb 12, 2009, 8:17:56 AM2/12/09
See points 2 and 4 here: www.oehelp.com/OETips.aspx#2

For backing up see point 6. OEQB coupled with OETool allows for
triply-redundant backup of the message store and settings with a single
button click. See www.oehelp.com/OETool/ Both are free.

steve

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Feb 12, 2009, 12:30:19 PM2/12/09
Asked/Answered in Internet Mail newsgroup. If you must make identical posts
to multiple newsgroups, please cross-post one (1) message to all of them.
Thank you.

Multiposting vs Crossposting:

PS: And always start a new thread for YOUR problem.