No Compatible mailer installed

Gary

Dec 18, 2008, 9:39:32 PM12/18/08
If I try to reply to a message in outlook express I get the following dialog
box. "You don't have a SIMPLE MAPI compatible mailer installed".
MSOutlookExpress news cannot mail this message without a compatible mailer".
How do I correct this problem. I installed MSOffice 2007 yesterday. Didn't
use OE until tonight. Could that installation be the cause of my problem?

Bruce Hagen

Dec 18, 2008, 9:59:33 PM12/18/08
Make sure OE is set as the default e-mail client. Outlook 2007 probably
stole that from OE.

Make OE the default e-mail client:
http://www.oehelp.com/oedef.aspx

Restores OE to the E-mail clients list in Internet Options
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/oe_client.htm

If you have MS Outlook installed, also see:
http://www.oehelp.com/OETips.aspx#13
--

Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP Outlook Express

"Gary" <gm...@bellsouth.net> wrote in message

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Dec 18, 2008, 9:57:27 PM12/18/08
If you don't plan on using MS Outlook as your default Mail Client, Remove it
from your install of Office.

If you're going to use OL 2007 as your default Mail Client now, you're going
to have to make some changes in how you access newsgroups using OE.

The following is based on OL 2003 but it should work for OL 2007 AFAIK.
=======
HOW TO properly set up Outlook for Mail and Outlook Express for News

A. Set the defaults to use Outlook Express to access Newsgroups:

1. Control Panel | Internet Options | Programs | Newsgroups | Select Outlook
Express and OK your way out;

2. Do not let Outlook or Outlook Express let themselves set to the default
newsreader:

a. Start Outlook Express to access news. When OE prompts you to make it
your default newsreader the next time you launch it, click the "Don't ask me
again" box and then click the "No" button;

b. Close Outlook Express and start Outlook. When it asks whether you
want to set Outlook as your default mail and news handler choose "No".
Leave Outlook open and continue to the next section.

3. Set the Outlook Toolbar:

a. Choose View | Toolbars | Customize*;

b. Select the Commands tab;

c. From the Categories list select "Go";

d. From the Commands list select "News" and drag & drop it to any place
you want on the Toolbar. The default location is in the "Go" menu.

e. Press Close to return to Outlook.

*Not seeing the News option in Customize? Choose View | Toolbars | Customize
| Toolbars (tab) | Select Menu Bar and press Reset | Start again from #3
above.

B. Start Outlook Express as Newsreader from a shortcut

1. Copy the following line to your clipboard (CTRL+C):

"C:\Program Files\Outlook Express\msimn.exe" /newsonly

2. Right click on an empty area of your Desktop and choose New > Shortcut;

3. Paste the contents of your clipboard (CTRL+V) into the "Type the location
of the item" box;

4. Press Next;

5. Type a name for the shortcut (e.g., Newsreader);

6. Press Finish and your shortcut will be created. You can drag & drop this
shortcut to anywhere you want (e.g., Quick Launch toolbar, Shortcuts section
of the Navigation Pane in Outlook 2003).

Freely adapted from http://www.sparnaaij.net/Faq/news.htm and
http://www.slipstick.com/emo/2004/up040122.htm#news
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net

Gary

Dec 19, 2008, 12:27:23 PM12/19/08
Thanks guys.....think I have it fixed now. 'preciate your help.