Problem opening attachments redux

jrsyangl

Jul 11, 2009, 9:26:20 PM7/11/09
I have a very similar problem to that in a previous thread: opening
attachments. Nothing happens when I double click or try to open an .jpg
attachment with IE8, OE6, XPSP3. I have tried suggestions in the other
thread: a) checking always open with Windows Picture and Fax Viewer when
opening outside of OE, b) making sure IE8 was installed with my Norton
firewall and AV turned off, and c) in Windows Explorer .jpg files are
shown as JPEG Image file type. I have also found that if I do Start>
Run> msimn /reg, the attachment opens until I open other email without
an attachment. I would rather not fall back to IE7 (the solution in the
other thread). Does anyone have any other suggestions for making this
work in IE8?
Lou

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Jul 11, 2009, 9:47:38 PM7/11/09
Hi, Lou, and thanks for beginning your own thread!

Please answer the following questions by number in your reply.

> ...Nothing happens when I double click or try to open an .jpg

> attachment with IE8, OE6, XPSP3.

1a. Can you open other attachments (e.g., DOC files; PDF files; ZIP files)?

1b. Does a JPG file already saved to your HDD automatically open in Picture
and Fax Viewer?

1c. Could you open JPG (and other attachments) before you installed IE8?

[Some of the following questions may look familiar to you from the other
thread. Your answers will help us diagnose the behavior.]

> ...IE8 was installed with my Norton firewall and AV turned off

2. Did you enable the Windows Firewall immediately after you disabled the
Norton firewall & before you installed IE8?

3a. What's the name and version of the Norton application (e.g., NAV 2008;
Norton 360 2009 v2.5)? Have you purchased it and is your subscription still
current?

3b. Did you upgrade to this Norton application & version from an earlier one
(e.g., from NAV 2007 to NAV 2009)?

3c. Was a Norton or McAfee free-trial preinstalled on the computer when you
bought it way back when?

4. What anti-spyware applications might be installed (e.g., Spybot; Ad-Aware
AE; Spyware Doctor; S*PERAntiSpyware; Windows Defender)?

5. Just asking for now!! Do NOT use such a Restore Point yet!! => Do you
have an available Restore Point which predates the install of IE8?

6. Were you having any problems whatsoever prior to installing IE8 (e.g.,
misdirected searches; unwanted pop-ups; inability to access or install
Windows Updates; inability to manually update your Norton application via
LiveUpdate)?
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

jrsyangl

Jul 11, 2009, 11:18:02 PM7/11/09
Robert,
Thanks for your interest.
1a) PDF, rtf, DOC Yes; ZIP untested
1b) Yes
1c) I think so, but I'm not absolutely sure when the problem began
relative to IE8.
2) Yes
3a) Norton 360 v 3.0.0.133
3b) Yes
3c) No
4) Ad-Aware SE Personal with no automated scanning; Windows Defender
5) No
6) No
Isn't the fact that msimn /reg temporarily corrects the problem a clue?
Lou

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABe...@gmail.com> wrote in message

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Jul 12, 2009, 2:43:44 AM7/12/09
> Isn't the fact that msimn /reg temporarily corrects the problem a clue?

Kinda/sorta, yes. Is MS Outlook or Windows Live Mail also installed?

1. Is this sudden, new behavior or has it been an ongoing problem ever since
you'd installed IE8?

2a. IN RE previous #3a, did you upgrade from N360 v2.5 (I asume) to v3.0
before or after you'd installed IE8 and/or SP2

2b. IN RE previous #3b, what previous Norton apps have been installed (e.g.,
NIS 2006 upgraded to N360 2008 upgrade to N360 2009 v2.5 then upgraded to
NIS 2009 v2.5) before you recently ugraded to N360 v3.0?

3. As a convenience to the user, OE will display certain graphics
attachments, including JPGs, in a separate area below the message body of a
Plain Text email: Are these JPGs (and JPEGs) attachments displayed like this
or not?

Now, some ettings to examine/test, in order (If one of them resolves the
problem STOP at that step):

4a. OE Tools | Options | Security | "Do not allow attachments..." & Block
images..." : If either of these is checked/enabled, uncheck/disable them;
also make certain OE's configured to run in Restricted Sites zone; now test.

4b. OE Tools | Options | Read | Read all messages in plain text: Disable, if
enabled then test.

4c. If NAV's Email Scanning component is enabled, disable it permanently&
test. It provides no additional protection, it could be causing this and
other problems, and even Symantec says it's not necessary:

<QP>
Disabling Email Scanning does not leave you unprotected against viruses that
are distributed as email attachments. Norton AntiVirus Auto-Protect scans
incoming files as they are saved to your hard drive, including email and
email attachments. Email Scanning is just another layer on top of this. To
make sure that Auto-Protect is providing the maximum protection, keep
Auto-Protect enabled and run LiveUpdate regularly to ensure that you have
the most recent virus definitions.
</QP>
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/docid/2002111812533106

Related: Why you don't need your anti-virus to scan your email
~PA Bear

5. Does the behavior persist if you disable the Norton firewall and then
enable the Windows Firewall & test?

6. Does the behavior persist if you disable or uninstall any installed
Norton Add-ons & test? Had you also disabled or uninstalled any installed
Norton Add-ons (i.e., other than NAV and the Norton firewall) prior to
installing IE8?

7. Does the behavior persist after rebooting into Safe Mode?

8. Did you install IE8 before or after you installed SP3?

9a. Last questions for this round: If you right-click on a JPG already saved
to your HSS, select Open with & select IE (not Picture and Fax Viewer) to
open the saved JPG file and also check the "Always open with..." box, can
you then open a JPG attachment?

9b. Now repeat #9a, re-select Picture and Fax Viewer as the default for
opening JPG foles then test opening JPG attachment/
--
~PA Bear

jrsyangl

Jul 12, 2009, 11:00:35 PM7/12/09
Before I answer your questions below, let me give you a bit more detail
in the sequence of failure that I have tracked down. From a fresh
reboot, if I open OE, and then open an email with an attachment, the
attachment opens OK. If I then open an email with the warning "Some
pictures have been blocked ...Click here ...", and then click, and then
close that email, and go back to the email with the attachment, the
attachment won't open. As far as I can tell, opening emails without the
warning does not impact opening attachments. There may be other
sequences that cause failure, but this one seems sure-fire. As you can
imagine, it is difficult for me to pinpoint exactly when this erratic
behavior began. And now to your questions.

> Kinda/sorta, yes. Is MS Outlook or Windows Live Mail also installed?
No

> 1. Is this sudden, new behavior or has it been an ongoing problem ever
> since you'd installed IE8?
This is recent behavior. I can not say for sure if it exactly coincides
with the installation of IE8

> 2a. IN RE previous #3a, did you upgrade from N360 v2.5 (I asume) to
> v3.0 before or after you'd installed IE8 and/or SP2
Upgrade to N360v3 preceded update to IE8

> 2b. IN RE previous #3b, what previous Norton apps have been installed
> (e.g., NIS 2006 upgraded to N360 2008 upgrade to N360 2009 v2.5 then
> upgraded to NIS 2009 v2.5) before you recently ugraded to N360 v3.0?
Norton System Works, Zone Alarm =>Norton 360=>Norton 360 v3

> 3. As a convenience to the user, OE will display certain graphics
> attachments, including JPGs, in a separate area below the message body
> of a Plain Text email: Are these JPGs (and JPEGs) attachments
> displayed like this or not?
Yes

> Now, some ettings to examine/test, in order (If one of them resolves
> the problem STOP at that step):
>
> 4a. OE Tools | Options | Security | "Do not allow attachments..." &
> Block images..." : If either of these is checked/enabled,
> uncheck/disable them; also make certain OE's configured to run in
> Restricted Sites zone; now test.
No change

> 4b. OE Tools | Options | Read | Read all messages in plain text:
> Disable, if enabled then test.
Already unchecked

> 4c. If NAV's Email Scanning component is enabled, disable it
> permanently& test. It provides no additional protection, it could be
> causing this and other problems, and even Symantec says it's not
> necessary:
No change

> 5. Does the behavior persist if you disable the Norton firewall and
> then enable the Windows Firewall & test?
Yes

> 6. Does the behavior persist if you disable or uninstall any installed
> Norton Add-ons & test? Had you also disabled or uninstalled any
> installed Norton Add-ons (i.e., other than NAV and the Norton
> firewall) prior to installing IE8?
Not aware of any Add-ons.

> 7. Does the behavior persist after rebooting into Safe Mode?
Yes

> 8. Did you install IE8 before or after you installed SP3?
IE8 after SP3

> 9a. Last questions for this round: If you right-click on a JPG already
> saved to your HSS, select Open with & select IE (not Picture and Fax
> Viewer) to open the saved JPG file and also check the "Always open
> with..." box, can you then open a JPG attachment?
No; get message IE cannot display the webpage

> 9b. Now repeat #9a, re-select Picture and Fax Viewer as the default
> for opening JPG foles then test opening JPG attachment/
No Change

Hope this helps.
Lou

Mark or Libbie McCutcheon

Jul 13, 2009, 7:01:45 AM7/13/09
I am having the same problem since installing IE8- and have been unable to
uninstall and go back to IE7, Why?

I know the jpg file is at the bottom of the msg but I want to be able to
click it and see a smaller version w/o having to save it to my harddrive
first.

I checked those settings and they are not checked. I do not have Norton. I
have AVG.

"jrsyangl" <jrsy...@verizon.net> wrote in message

Bruce Hagen

Jul 13, 2009, 9:14:25 AM7/13/09
How do I uninstall or remove Internet Explorer 8?
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700
--

Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP [Mail]

"Mark or Libbie McCutcheon" <mccut...@triad.rr.com> wrote in message

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Jul 13, 2009, 8:03:03 PM7/13/09
See Bruce's reply or begin a new thread about your specific problems to
avoid confusion. State your IE version and full Windows version (e.g.,
WinXP SP3; Vista SP2) in your first post.

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Jul 13, 2009, 8:30:04 PM7/13/09
[Lou, please avoid answering my questions in-line when replying. Thanks.]

The "Some pictures have been blocked..." error tells me that "Block
images..." has not been disabled yet:

OE Tools | Options | Security | Download Images | Block images and other
external content in HTML e-mail <=unchecking this option should make that
error go away.

NB: While you're in the Security tab, also make certain that OE's running in
the Restricted Sites zone, not the Internet zone!

Moving on, may I assume that Zone Alarm is no longer installed, the Windows
Firewall is disabled, and the Norton Personal Firewall is enabled?

The above notwithstanding, Norton apps have a long and notorious history for
not uninstalling or upgrading "cleanly." The fact that you've repeatedly
upgraded several Norton apps & versions (i.e., NSW w/NAV to N360 [version?]
to N360 2009 v3.x) may have played a role in your current problem with
attachments. If you want to pursue this further, I'm willing to assist you
but I must tell you that it will involve uninstalling N360 2009 v3.x,
uninstalling IE8 (and, possibly, WinXP SP3), downloading/running a specific
removal tool, and reinstalling IE8 (and, possibly, SP3), any critical
security updates offered by Windows Update, and N360 2009 v3.x (not
necessarily in that order).

The flip-side of the coin is that simply uninstalling IE8 (and never
reinstalling it) would probably resolve the attachments problem, too, and
it'd be much less complicated & time consuming for all concerned.

Your choice, Lou.
--
~PA Bear

jrsyangl wrote:
> Before I answer your questions below, let me give you a bit more detail
> in the sequence of failure that I have tracked down. From a fresh
> reboot, if I open OE, and then open an email with an attachment, the
> attachment opens OK. If I then open an email with the warning "Some
> pictures have been blocked ...Click here ...", and then click, and then
> close that email, and go back to the email with the attachment, the
> attachment won't open. As far as I can tell, opening emails without the
> warning does not impact opening attachments. There may be other
> sequences that cause failure, but this one seems sure-fire. As you can
> imagine, it is difficult for me to pinpoint exactly when this erratic
> behavior began. And now to your questions.
>>

>> ...Is MS Outlook or Windows Live Mail also installed?

> No
>
>> 1. Is this sudden, new behavior or has it been an ongoing problem ever
>> since you'd installed IE8?
>
> This is recent behavior. I can not say for sure if it exactly coincides
> with the installation of IE8
>
>> 2a. IN RE previous #3a, did you upgrade from N360 v2.5 (I asume) to
>> v3.0 before or after you'd installed IE8 and/or SP2
>
> Upgrade to N360v3 preceded update to IE8
>
>> 2b. IN RE previous #3b, what previous Norton apps have been installed
>> (e.g., NIS 2006 upgraded to N360 2008 upgrade to N360 2009 v2.5 then
>> upgraded to NIS 2009 v2.5) before you recently ugraded to N360 v3.0?
>
> Norton System Works, Zone Alarm =>Norton 360=>Norton 360 v3
>
>> 3. As a convenience to the user, OE will display certain graphics
>> attachments, including JPGs, in a separate area below the message body
>> of a Plain Text email: Are these JPGs (and JPEGs) attachments
>> displayed like this or not?
>
> Yes
>>

>> Now, some settings to examine/test, in order (If one of them resolves

<paste>

jrsyangl wrote:
> Robert,
> Thanks for your interest.
> 1a) PDF, rtf, DOC Yes; ZIP untested
> 1b) Yes
> 1c) I think so, but I'm not absolutely sure when the problem began
> relative to IE8.
> 2) Yes
> 3a) Norton 360 v 3.0.0.133
> 3b) Yes
> 3c) No
> 4) Ad-Aware SE Personal with no automated scanning; Windows Defender
> 5) No
> 6) No
> Isn't the fact that msimn /reg temporarily corrects the problem a clue?
> Lou

Twayne

Jul 14, 2009, 12:49:53 PM7/14/09

> [Lou, please avoid answering my questions in-line when replying.
> Thanks.]

Now, there's one I haven't seen before

jrsyangl

Jul 14, 2009, 7:01:13 PM7/14/09
With "Block images .." unchecked, opening emails with HTML does not
consistently disable the opening of attachments. The bad news is the
problem still exists with other sequences of opening other emails, which
is probably what happened when I tested the first time. I haven't been
able to pin down what pattern of opening emails causes the problem. So
for debugging purposes, it would probably be better to run with Blocking
images enabled.

Zone Alarm is no longer installed, Windows Firewall is disabled, and
Norton Smart Firewall is enabled.

The sequence of uninstalling/installing Norton, IE8, and Win XPSP3
sounds a bit like a cure that may be worse than the disease. I recently
uninstalled/installed IE8 and that at least made no difference. I also
noticed that the McCutcheons (in this thread) have a similar problem
while not using Norton. And I guess I was hoping for a solution that did
not involve a "downgrade" to IE7. I still have my workaround of msimn
/reg, so unless somebody has a better idea, I will tough it out until, I
hope, MS fixes what I suspect is a bug.

Lou

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Jul 14, 2009, 8:20:11 PM7/14/09
I didn't say or imply that disabling the "Block images..." option would
resolve your cannot-open-attachments problem, just the "Some pictures have
been blocked..." error.

If uninstalling IE8 did not resolve the problem, I suspect that the
"leftovers" from your earlier Norton applications/versions "screwed the
pooch" when you installed IE8 (which then could not be "unscrewed" by
uninstalling IE8).

If I was tasked with fixing the machine, I'd back-up your personal data,
format & do a clean install of WinXP, then I would do my best to convince
you not to install another Norton application on this machine or any others
you purchase in the future.

MS Support may have other ideas/suggestions, Lou:

environment.
=> US & CA Residents: 1-866-234-6020
=> Other locales: https://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?&prid=13043

Good luck!

jrsyangl wrote:
> With "Block images .." unchecked, opening emails with HTML does not
> consistently disable the opening of attachments. The bad news is the
> problem still exists with other sequences of opening other emails, which
> is probably what happened when I tested the first time. I haven't been
> able to pin down what pattern of opening emails causes the problem. So
> for debugging purposes, it would probably be better to run with Blocking
> images enabled.
>
> Zone Alarm is no longer installed, Windows Firewall is disabled, and
> Norton Smart Firewall is enabled.
>
> The sequence of uninstalling/installing Norton, IE8, and Win XPSP3
> sounds a bit like a cure that may be worse than the disease. I recently
> uninstalled/installed IE8 and that at least made no difference. I also
> noticed that the McCutcheons (in this thread) have a similar problem
> while not using Norton. And I guess I was hoping for a solution that did
> not involve a "downgrade" to IE7. I still have my workaround of msimn
> /reg, so unless somebody has a better idea, I will tough it out until, I
> hope, MS fixes what I suspect is a bug.
>
> Lou

jrsyangl

Jul 14, 2009, 11:31:49 PM7/14/09
I didn't say or imply that you said or implied that disabling
...,etc. After you pointed it out, I understood that the "Some pictures
.." Message should not occur if the "Block images.." option was
disabled. Sorry if it seemed otherwise.

I will give MS Support a call, although I am not hopeful, based on
past experience. I'll report back, if I get useful information.

Lou

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABe...@gmail.com> wrote in message

jrsyangl

Jul 18, 2009, 10:02:14 AM7/18/09
This is a report on my interaction with MS Support with this
problem.

My first contact, James, told me the problem was with Verizon, my
internet provider. When that didn't fly, he transferred me to Matthew,
who first said the attachments would not open for security reasons, and
then that it was a feature and no problem since I could copy the
attachment to the desktop and open it there. He then wanted to close the
case. When I pointed out that this feature was in fact a loss of
functionality, he reluctantly transferred me again. This whole process
included a maze of menus, long waits, and horrible background music.
Also, because of our different accents, at times it was difficult for us
to understand each other.

My last contact, Arpit Kapoor, at least seemed to be knowledgeable,
and repeatedly told me he had taken ownership of this problem and would
solve it for me. We used MS Easy Assist and he had remote access to my
computer. He first thought I had a corrupted Identity ( I told him I had
a sterling character, but he didn't get it), but the problem persisted
with a new Identity. He then changed file associations and checked many
settings to no avail. Finally, in IE, he went to Tools>Internet Options>
Advanced tab. There he hit Reset.. and then checked Delete Personal
Settings. The warning given there is to do this only if IE is unstable.
You lose your home page, customized Search Providers, saved website
passwords, and probably more things which I have yet to discover. At
that point, I could not reproduce the problem: jpg attachments did open
successfully, so I agreed to close the case. The whole process spanned 2
days and took about 3 hours.

I did not post my experience right away because I wanted to see if
the cure was permanent. And today, 36 hours after the Reset, the problem
is back: jpg attachments will not open. My fix of Start>Run msimn /reg
still is a temporary fix. I will email Arpit with the news but I am not
hopeful for a easy solution.

Lou

"jrsyangl" <jrsy...@verizon.net> wrote in message

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Jul 18, 2009, 10:22:43 AM7/18/09
[Don't forget to contact Symantec Support to thank them for getting you into
this mess.]

jrsyangl

Jul 18, 2009, 8:52:03 PM7/18/09
I do not think that Norton/Symantec is the most likely culprit.
Recall that the problem does not occur with Norton and IE7. The problem
occurs only after the upgrade to IE8. Also, I see that others in this
forum have the same problem with systems with different av/firewall
software altogether.

Lou

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABe...@gmail.com> wrote in message

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Jul 19, 2009, 12:10:29 PM7/19/09
> Recall that the problem does not occur with Norton and IE7

Were you running N360 2009 v3.0 when you installed IE7 (and/or SP3)? I
don't think so.

> ...I see that others in this

> forum have the same problem with systems with different av/firewall
> software altogether.

Yes, others who'd also failed to disable all real-time protections prior to
installing IE8 have encountered the "can't open attachments" problems. And
others who have upgraded their McAfee applications many times have
encountered the identical problem you've encountered.

There are innumberable posts about this in IE, OE, Windows Mail (Vista), and
Windows Live Mail newsgroups. Most users have found that uninstall IE8
resolves the problem. Unfortunately, it doesn't resolve the problem for you
and I suspect your multiple Norton upgrades (i.e., Norton System Words
[includes Norton AntiVirus] => Norton 360 => Norton 360 2009 v3.0) are to
blame.

Again, contact MS Support to see what they might suggest, but I suspect
you'll end up having to format and do a clean install of Windows to get out
of this mess.

Best of luck.

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

jrsyangl

Jul 19, 2009, 5:26:35 PM7/19/09

>> Recall that the problem does not occur with Norton and IE7
>
> Were you running N360 2009 v3.0 when you installed IE7 (and/or SP3)?
> I don't think so.

What's your point? That Norton somehow pre-corrupted the system so that
when IE8 came along things went bad? I don't think so. All Norton
scanning was off during IE8 installation.

>> ...I see that others in this
>> forum have the same problem with systems with different av/firewall
>> software altogether.
>
> Yes, others who'd also failed to disable all real-time protections
> prior to installing IE8 have encountered the "can't open attachments"
> problems. And others who have upgraded their McAfee applications many
> times have encountered the identical problem you've encountered.
>
> There are innumberable posts about this in IE, OE, Windows Mail
> (Vista), and Windows Live Mail newsgroups. Most users have found that
> uninstall IE8 resolves the problem. Unfortunately, it doesn't resolve
> the problem for you and I suspect your multiple Norton upgrades (i.e.,
> Norton System Words [includes Norton AntiVirus] => Norton 360 =>
> Norton 360 2009 v3.0) are to blame.

Uninstalling IE8, ie going to IE7, does solve the problem. The problem
returns when I reinstall IE8.

The 3 people I see in this forum have IE8 and Norton, IE8 and AVG, and
IE8 and McAfee. You can say there is something wrong with Norton, and
AVG, and McAfee, but I tend to agree with Bruce Hagen (7/15,
Re:OE6->IE=>7): "I am not convinced that IE8 is 100% compatible with
XP/SP3".

> Again, contact MS Support to see what they might suggest, but I
> suspect you'll end up having to format and do a clean install of
> Windows to get out of this mess.

As I posted previously, I did contact MS Support, to no avail.

> Best of luck.

Thanks for your interest.

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Jul 19, 2009, 6:43:28 PM7/19/09
[Please try to avoid replying inline, Lou. This thread's confusing enough
as it is. <wink> Thanks.]

Even if you had disabled all N360 components (and not just the anti-virus
component) before originally installing and then uninstalling IE8, I think
you were doomed to failure because you'd had so many other Norton
applications installed in the past, Lou. Again, this is known-behavior
associated with Norton and McAfee applications.

And I thought you'd said that you were still having the problem in IE7 after
uninstalling IE8. If that was not the case, you have my apologies. That
being said, I'd recommend that you stick with IE7 permanently. I would NOT
attempt to install IE8 again without having first:

1. Uninstalling your current Norton application, downloading/running the
Norton Removal Tool, reinstalling N360 2009, upgrading to N360 2009 v3.0 if
necessary, disabling all N360 components (i.e., anti-virus; anti-spyware;
any Norton Add-ons; firewall) and then enabling the Windows Firewall;

or...

2. Formatting and reinstalling Windows, getting the machine fully-patched at
Windows Update (without installing IE8), reinstalling N360 2009, upgrading

jrsyangl wrote:
> What's your point? That Norton somehow pre-corrupted the system so that
> when IE8 came along things went bad? I don't think so. All Norton
> scanning was off during IE8 installation.
>

> Uninstalling IE8, ie going to IE7, does solve the problem. The problem
> returns when I reinstall IE8.
>
> The 3 people I see in this forum have IE8 and Norton, IE8 and AVG, and
> IE8 and McAfee. You can say there is something wrong with Norton, and
> AVG, and McAfee, but I tend to agree with Bruce Hagen (7/15,
> Re:OE6->IE=>7): "I am not convinced that IE8 is 100% compatible with
> XP/SP3".
>

> As I posted previously, I did contact MS Support, to no avail.
>

> Thanks for your interest.
>

> PA Bear wrote:
>>> Recall that the problem does not occur with Norton and IE7
>>
>> Were you running N360 2009 v3.0 when you installed IE7 (and/or SP3)?
>> I don't think so.
>>

>>> ...I see that others in this
>>> forum have the same problem with systems with different av/firewall
>>> software altogether.
>>
>> Yes, others who'd also failed to disable all real-time protections
>> prior to installing IE8 have encountered the "can't open attachments"
>> problems. And others who have upgraded their McAfee applications many
>> times have encountered the identical problem you've encountered.
>>
>> There are innumberable posts about this in IE, OE, Windows Mail
>> (Vista), and Windows Live Mail newsgroups. Most users have found that
>> uninstall IE8 resolves the problem. Unfortunately, it doesn't resolve
>> the problem for you and I suspect your multiple Norton upgrades (i.e.,
>> Norton System Words [includes Norton AntiVirus] => Norton 360 =>
>> Norton 360 2009 v3.0) are to blame.

>> Again, contact MS Support to see what they might suggest, but I
>> suspect you'll end up having to format and do a clean install of
>> Windows to get out of this mess.
>>

>> Best of luck.

jrsyangl

Jul 19, 2009, 9:21:39 PM7/19/09
Yes, it is getting confusing. I responded inline because you did in
your reply and I thought I would return the favor <wink>.

I have a call-back from MS Support scheduled for tomorrow. If that
is unproductive, as I fear, I will either, as you suggest, stick with
IE7, or tough it out with IE8, and use msimn /reg when necessary. One of
the problems with using IE7 is the constant dunning from MS/Windows
Update to update to IE8. BTW, is there an IE9 in the works?

Lou

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABe...@gmail.com> wrote in message

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Jul 20, 2009, 1:48:54 PM7/20/09
> ...One of

> the problems with using IE7 is the constant dunning from MS/Windows
> Update to update to IE8.

1. Stop the Automatic Updates service:

Start > Run > (type in) services.msc > [OK]
Double-click Automatic Updates > Click on Stop
(Stopping the service will take a moment)

2. Delete the contents of the Download folder:

Start > Run > (type in) %windir%\SoftwareDistribution > [OK]
Open the Download folder and delete its contents
Close the window.

3. Go to Windows Update website | Select CUSTOM and allow the scan to
complete | Uncheck/deselect IE8 and hide it ("Don't show me this update
again").

4. Start the Automatic Updates service:

Start > Run > (type in) services.msc > [OK]
Double-click Automatic Updates > Click on Start
(Starting the service will take a moment)

> ...BTW, is there an IE9 in the works?

Yes. The IE team is committed to releasing a new IE version every two (2)
years. Will IE9 be supported in WinXP? I'd doubt it but YMMV.

OT:
> ...I responded inline because you did in

> your reply and I thought I would return the favor <wink>.

I seldom post my replies inline but I frequently copy/paste snippets from
the post I'm reply to (and quote fully) into my replies, just like I'm doing
here. <w>

jrsyangl

Jul 20, 2009, 7:28:31 PM7/20/09
For what it is worth, here is a report on my second encounter with
MS Support on this problem. After I sent them an email reporting that
the complete Reset "fix" from our first session was only temporary, I
got back email setting up a time for them to call me back, which is
impressive enough. The Support guy again took remote control of my
computer. He then uninstalled/installed OE. This involved deleting files
and making registry changes. He did a backup first. We were both
disappointed that the problem did not go away. He said that since
uninstalling/installing OE did not help, the problem was clearly in IE8.
He was almost apologetic about IE8, saying it was the first release of a
new program, and that there were other issues with it.
He recommended falling back to IE7, waiting a month or 2 when he
thought there might be a new release of IE8, and then updating to IE8
again. I'll probably do that, although I'm also considering changing my
email software (I've seen WLM, Pegasus, and Thunderbird mentioned in
this forum).
My overall evaluation of MS Support is mixed. Initially, wading
through the menus, and dealing with the first 2 levels of Support(?)
were awful. But the third level was excellent: the 2 guys I dealt with
were knowledgeable, competent, understanding, sympathetic, and honest. I
think he felt worse than I did that the problem was not solved.

Lou

"jrsyangl" <jrsy...@verizon.net> wrote in message

Bruce Hagen

Jul 20, 2009, 7:36:33 PM7/20/09
<QP>

He recommended falling back to IE7, waiting a month or 2 when he
thought there might be a new release of IE8, and then updating to IE8
again. I'll probably do that.
</QP>

Didn't you say you already did that and the problem remained?
--

Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP [Mail]

"jrsyangl" <jrsy...@verizon.net> wrote in message

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Jul 20, 2009, 8:30:25 PM7/20/09
Thanks for this feedback!

Did he ask you about the security environment in which IE8 was installed
(and then uninstalled)?

Did you tell him you'd uninstalled IE8 and the behavior persisted in your
previous IE version?

> He recommended falling back to IE7, waiting a month or 2 when he
> thought there might be a new release of IE8, and then updating to IE8
> again.

There will not ba a "new release of IE8" (despite what he said). However,
there may be a cumulative update for IE8 in the future which MIGHT fix the
problem you've encountered. But if you're still seeing in the problem after
uninstalling IE8, I'd very much doubt that'd be a fix for you unless you do
a clean install of WinXP first, Lou.
--
~PA Bear

jrsyangl

Jul 21, 2009, 10:05:20 AM7/21/09

> Didn't you say you already did that and the problem remained?
> --
What I thought I said, and what I meant to say, was that the problem
remained after I uninstalled IE8 (thereby going to IE7) and then
reinstalling IE8. Sorry for any confusion.

Lou

jrsyangl

Jul 21, 2009, 10:18:52 AM7/21/09

> Thanks for this feedback!

Hope it helps.

> Did he ask you about the security environment in which IE8 was
> installed (and then uninstalled)?

No, but I think I volunteered that I had Norton. He didn't talk about
that at all.

> Did you tell him you'd uninstalled IE8 and the behavior persisted in
> your previous IE version?

Well, actually what I did was uninstall IE8 back to IE7, and then
reinstall IE8. Sorry for any confusion.

> There will not ba a "new release of IE8" (despite what he said).
> However, there may be a cumulative update for IE8 in the future which
> MIGHT fix the problem you've encountered.

I don't know if he used the word "release" or "update" or something
else. The point was that if I go to IE8 in a few months it would not be
the same as today.

Lou