MSHTML.HLP File Missing

jslow

Jan 22, 2008, 9:18:18 PM1/22/08

We cannot right click and save pictures from an Outlook Express e-mail like
we could before. We are now using IE7.

We get the following message:

Cannot find the c:\Windows\System 32\mshtml.hlp file. Do you want to try to
find this file yourself?

How do we correct this problem. I understand that Microsoft stated that
there is no such file.

What is the solution?

In viewing some of the online forums, some customers are reverting back to
IE6 from IE7. Is this the only solution?

Thanks for any info.

--
Dell 4700, WinXP SP2 Pro, 2.8 G Pentium 4, 160 G HD, 80 G Ext USB 2 HD, 512
MB RAM, IE & OE 6, NSW 2005 Premium, ZA 6.0.667.000, Ad-Aware, Spybot-Search

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Jan 22, 2008, 9:32:48 PM1/22/08
You may have a horked (dirty; bad; flawed) install of IE7. I suggest that
you...

1. Uninstall IE7 (which automatically returns you to IE6) EXACTLY per
http://www.ie-vista.com/kbase2.html

2a. Uninstall all toolbars and third-party Windows Themes (including Window
Blinds).

2b. Disable all Norton Add-ons, if applicable.

3. Reinstall IE7 EXACTLY per
http://www.ie-vista.com/known_issues.html#pre-install, and using
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/downloads/default.mspx as the installation
source, not Automatic/Windows Update.

4. IMMEDIATELY go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com and install any
critical updates offered. If a "Root Certificates" update is listed in the
Optional category, you might install it, too, to take full advantage of
IE7's additional security.

Also see:

IEBlog : IE7 (Un)Installation and Anti-Malware Applications
http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2006/10/11/IE7-Installation-and-Anti_2D00_Malware-Applications.aspx
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net

jslow

Jan 24, 2008, 3:16:01 PM1/24/08
Hi PA Bear,

Thanks for the reply.

I started to uninstall IE 7 last night but I got a IE7 Dialog box as follows:

"The following programs were installed on your computer after IE7:

It then lists software that I installed plus quite a few Security Updates
for IE7 & Windows XP and then states the following:

If these programs depend on IE7, they might not work properly after IE7 is
removed.
Do you want to continue? YES or NO."

I didn't know whether to proceed or not. I was concerned about the Security
Updates.

Should I proceed with Uninstall?

Thanks.

--
Dell 4700, WinXP SP2 Pro, 2.8 G Pentium 4, 160 G HD, 80 G Ext USB 2 HD, 512
MB RAM, IE & OE 6, NSW 2005 Premium, ZA 6.0.667.000, Ad-Aware, Spybot-Search
& Destroy 1.3, Spyware Blaster, MS AntiSpyware

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Jan 24, 2008, 6:37:46 PM1/24/08
Yes. If you follow all of my instructions to the letter, it'll be OK to
ignore the warnings.
--
~PA Bear