inbox.dbx limitations

Dick Foster

Jun 4, 2010, 2:40:02 PM6/4/10

Apparently I have 2 gigs filled up in my inbox and I can put nothing more
into the file. Is there a way to increase the size of the inbox
file....thanks

Bruce Hagen

Jun 4, 2010, 2:46:52 PM6/4/10
No, and you're very lucky you haven't lost messages yet, Get them out of
there!!!

General precautions for Outlook Express:

Do not archive mail in the Inbox or Sent Items. Create your own user
defined folders and move the messages you wish to save to them. Empty
Deleted Items folder daily. Although dbx files have a theoretical capacity
of 2GB, I recommend about a 300MB max for less chance of corruption.

Information about the maximum file size of the .dbx files that are used by
Outlook Express:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=903095

After you are done, follow up by compacting your folders manually while
working *offline* and do it often.

Click on Outlook Express at the top of the folder tree so no folders are
open. Then: File | Work Offline (or double click Working Online in the
Status Bar). File | Folder | Compact all folders. Don't touch anything
until the compacting is completed.

Turn off e-mail scanning in your anti-virus program. It is a redundant
layer of protection that eats up CPUs and causes a multitude of problems
such as time-outs and account setting changes. Your up-to-date A/V program
will continue to protect you sufficiently. For more, see:
http://www.oehelp.com/OETips.aspx#3

And backup often.

Outlook Express Quick Backup (OEQB Freeware)
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP [Mail]
Imperial Beach, CA

"Dick Foster" <fosters...@comcast.net> wrote in message

Steve Cochran

Jun 4, 2010, 3:50:04 PM6/4/10
As Bruce indicates, you should back up the file now (!!!), and then move the messages out of it, to other folders, and then compact it. Otherwise it will get corrupted, unreadable by OE, and it may even get filled with zeroes so that you lose everything that was in it.

steve