Downloading OE7

Dave

Aug 12, 2009, 5:37:17 PM8/12/09
Guess it's time to get out of OE6. I find a lot of download sites for OE7,
but none seem to be Microsoft.

Does it make any difference where I get it. (Just went to IE8 - it's going
to take long time to get used to. Never could see why 'different' was
automatically 'better' But I digress)

BTW - is there an OE8?

THx
Dave

N. Miller

Aug 12, 2009, 6:33:15 PM8/12/09
On Wed, 12 Aug 2009 16:37:17 -0500, Dave wrote:

> Guess it's time to get out of OE6. I find a lot of download sites for OE7,
> but none seem to be Microsoft.

That is because Microsoft does not publish MS Outlook Express 7.

> Does it make any difference where I get it. (Just went to IE8 - it's going
> to take long time to get used to. Never could see why 'different' was
> automatically 'better' But I digress)
>
> BTW - is there an OE8?

No. They stopped at OE6. MS Outlook Express was a component of MS Internet
Explorer. However, when MS produced IE7, they no longer included an email
client. From IE7 to date, no client has been included with Internet
Explorer, and none ever will be.

Microsoft did include the Windows Mail client with Windows Vista (Windows
Mail is not "OE7", though some think it is). They do not include a client
with Windows 7. MS does have a free email client in Windows Live Essential,
but that is not "OE Anything". There is no more Outlook Express shipping
from MSFT.

--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come

Bruce Hagen

Aug 12, 2009, 6:53:39 PM8/12/09
Where did you find an OE7? It doesn't exist. All production for Outlook
Express ended with OE6 in June of 2006, as did Windows Mail in Vista.

If you want to stay with an MS e-mail client, then you have two choices
other than OE. MS Outlook, (You pay for it), or Windows Live Mail.
--

Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP [Mail]

"Dave" <djb...@dcwis.com> wrote in message

Dave

Aug 12, 2009, 6:53:02 PM8/12/09
Are you saying there is no such thing as OE7? (I am getting bombed with
updates for IE6, that's one reason I went to IE8)
I don't know what 'client' means - you can begin to see what you're working
with :-)
I do get occasional update messages for OE6, apparently from MS. Is MS
going to continue supporting (?) it?

Dave

"N. Miller" <anon...@msnews.aosake.net> wrote in message

Bruce Hagen

Aug 12, 2009, 7:01:11 PM8/12/09
There is no OE7 and one reason you may be being "bombarded" with updates is
because you have not even updated to XP Service Pack 3 which your message
headers clearly show:

Note that all updates foe XP/SP2 will cease after April, 2010. Updates for
XP/SP3 will continue until April, 2014.
--

Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP [Mail]
Imperial Beach, CA

"Dave" <djb...@dcwis.com> wrote in message

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Aug 12, 2009, 8:54:57 PM8/12/09
There ain't no OE7 or OE8 and your computer's not fully patched!

HOW TO get a computer running WinXP SP2 fully patched
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/msg/a066ae41add7dd2b

NB: After 12 April 2010, your computer will NOT be offered any critical
security updates nor will Windows Update website be available until you get
SP3 installed.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
www.banthecheck.com

N. Miller

Aug 13, 2009, 12:47:20 PM8/13/09
On Wed, 12 Aug 2009 17:53:02 -0500, Dave wrote:

> Are you saying there is no such thing as OE7?

Correct.

> (I am getting bombed with updates for IE6 ...

As you will, if your computer is not current.

> ... that's one reason I went to IE8) I don't know what 'client'

> means - you can begin to see what you're working with :-)

MS Outlook Express 6 is a mail and news client; used to access mail and news
servers. There are other clients (MS Internet Explorer is a web client;
though most refer to is as a browser, it is a client used to access a web
server). There are other mail and news clients made by Microsoft:

Windows Mail (as obsolete as MSOE)
Windows Live Mail (replaces both, as a free client)
MS Outlook (a paid product)

> I do get occasional update messages for OE6, apparently from MS. Is MS
> going to continue supporting (?) it?

The only support for MSOE6 will be security updates. And when that will end
depends upon whether you are at SP2, or SP3 on Windows XP. As the others
have mentioned. Windows XP is, itself, obsolete.

Dave

Aug 13, 2009, 4:50:41 PM8/13/09
Well, thank you everybody - I think.

1) Do I understand I need to uninstall IE8 before installing SP3?
2) If so, how do I uninstall IE8?

Dave

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABe...@gmail.com> wrote in message

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Aug 13, 2009, 5:38:54 PM8/13/09
A1. Only if you think you may need to uninstall IE8, for whatever reason, in
the future. See
http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2008/05/05/ie-and-xpsp3.aspx

A2. How to uninstall or remove Internet Explorer 8
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700

BONUS! ...

http://msmvps.com/blogs/harrywaldron/archive/2008/05/08/windows-xp-sp3-read-all-prerequisites-for-a-successful-installation.aspx

Dave

Aug 13, 2009, 7:43:06 PM8/13/09
This is getting confusing - all 3 of the links below recommend removing IE8
prior to installing SP3. Are you suggesting that is not necessary?
Dave

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABe...@gmail.com> wrote in message

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Aug 13, 2009, 8:43:38 PM8/13/09
Again, if you think you'll ever need to uninstall IE8 at any point in the
future, you'd best uninstall it now, install SP3, and then reinstall IE8.

If you install SP3 with IE8 installed, you will not be able to uninstall IE8
without first uninstalling SP3.

Dave

Aug 14, 2009, 9:15:36 AM8/14/09
Thank you 'PA' for hanging in with me - I think I've got it finally. I
uninstalled IE8 and downloaded SP3 overnight (dialup) so looks like I'm all
set
Thank you again -
Dave

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABe...@gmail.com> wrote in message

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Aug 14, 2009, 1:48:09 PM8/14/09
YW. Is WinXP SP3 now fully-patched (independent of IE8)?

Dave

Aug 14, 2009, 2:30:07 PM8/14/09
Yes - Removed IE8 - loaded SP3 and everything works properly. Didn't really
care for all the screen space IE8 took up, think I'll stay with '6 a while
longer.
Thx again
Dave

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABe...@gmail.com> wrote in message

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Aug 14, 2009, 6:46:56 PM8/14/09
YW again.

I'd strongly recommend installing IE7 now, if only for the enhanced
security. Up to you but if you're interested, I can give you some tips.

Dave wrote:
> Yes - Removed IE8 - loaded SP3 and everything works properly. Didn't
> really
> care for all the screen space IE8 took up, think I'll stay with '6 a while
> longer.
> Thx again
>

>> YW. Is WinXP SP3 now fully-patched (independent of IE8)?
>>
>> Dave wrote:
>>> Thank you 'PA' for hanging in with me - I think I've got it finally. I
>>> uninstalled IE8 and downloaded SP3 overnight (dialup) so looks like I'm
>>> all set

Dave

Aug 18, 2009, 10:10:15 AM8/18/09
Well OK - I'm sure I could use some tips.
Dave

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABe...@gmail.com> wrote in message

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Aug 18, 2009, 10:21:12 AM8/18/09
Sandi's Installation Tips for IE7 <= Steps #1-8, #10 & #11; take note of
#12, then STOP!
(ignore any references to Vista)

IE7 will not be offered via Windows Update. You can download the installer
here:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=9ae91ebe-3385-447c-8a30-081805b2f90b

Save the installer to your desktop, do not Run it. Then double-click on the
saved file when you're ready to install IE7.

Make *certain* that you check in at http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com
immediately after installing IE7, select the CUSTOM option & scan. Install
any critical security updates offered. If Optional Updates category offers
Root Certificates update, install it to take full advantage of IE7's
additional security.

NB: DO NOT INSTALL IE8! Uncheck it then "hide" it.

About IE7 (and IE8) Installation and Anti-Malware Applications
http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2006/10/11/IE7-Installation-and-Anti_2D00_Malware-Applications.aspx

About IE7 (and IE8) and Windows XP Service Pack 3
http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2008/05/05/ie-and-xpsp3.aspx

What's New in Internet Explorer 7

Release Notes
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/aa740486.aspx
--
~PA Bear
www.banthecheck.com

Dave wrote:
> Well OK - I'm sure I could use some tips.
>

>> I'd strongly recommend installing IE7 now, if only for the enhanced
>> security. Up to you but if you're interested, I can give you some tips.

<snip>

Twayne

Aug 18, 2009, 10:47:08 AM8/18/09
Also in case no one has mentioned it, there is no such thing as OE7. It
stops at OE6. It's still being updated but won't be for much longer.
IE7 and on do not have OE; they have a different setup for e-mails.

Twayne`

"Dave" <djb...@dcwis.com> wrote in message

N. Miller

Aug 18, 2009, 11:49:19 AM8/18/09
On Tue, 18 Aug 2009 10:47:08 -0400, Twayne wrote:

> IE7 and on do not have OE; they have a different setup for e-mails.

And that would be? AFAIK, IE7 handles email exactly the same as IE6, apart
from not having a built in client.

Dave

Aug 19, 2009, 7:16:07 AM8/19/09
Once again thank you. I did not care for IE8 at all, so I'm going to have
to get my nerve up before I get into IE7. But I will. Like fine wine,
these things need to age a while before I'm ready. .

Dave

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABe...@gmail.com> wrote in message

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Aug 19, 2009, 12:39:28 PM8/19/09
Just like IE8, IE7 is uninstallable as long as WniXP SP3 was installed
first.

Dave

Aug 19, 2009, 4:55:25 PM8/19/09
Given: I have SP3 installed, and am on IE6
Question: By "Uninstallable" do you mean I can't now INSTALL IE7, or I
can't UNINSTALL IE7 if I don't like it after installing it?

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABe...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Tom Willett

Aug 19, 2009, 5:10:04 PM8/19/09
If SP3 was installed prior to installing IE7 or IE8, you will need to
uninstall SP3 before you can uninstall those IE version. Then, you would
reinstall SP3.

: Given: I have SP3 installed, and am on IE6

: >
:
:

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Aug 19, 2009, 7:04:38 PM8/19/09
What Tom said. As long as SP3 was installed BEFORE you installed IE7, you
can uninstall IE7.

Dave

Aug 20, 2009, 7:57:12 AM8/20/09
Oh