Runtime Error in OE6

Nik

Aug 17, 2006, 5:39:09 PM8/17/06
My OE version is 6.00.2900.2180 (xpsp_sp2)Recently, in Outlook Express 6,
several times got messages asking if I wish to compress email folders.
Responded "No".(Probably a mistake!) Subsequently, upon opening Outlook
Express 6, saw error message: Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime LibraryRuntime
Error!Program: C:\Program\Outlook Express\main.exeabnormal program
terminationSubsequently, the error message changed slightly:Instead of
"abnormal program termination", it said:"This application has requested the
Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.Please contact the application's
support team for more information." If I click OK or AX (to close the
message), Outlook Express closes. In addition, I have lost all files in my
Hotmail account. I ran Anti-virus pigmy-no traces, SpySweeper found 3
cookies-eliminated, AdAware-1 cookie, eliminated. Problem still occurs. I am
running Windows XP Pro SP2, Trend Micro PC-cillin Internet Suite, Webroot
Spy Sweeper.I have turned off Anti-virus email and webmail scanning. Spw
Sweeper is not scanning email.I tried manual folder compaction (after all
the above errors) but I get a message that the folders are in use so I don't
know if compaction ever happened.I installed OE6 KB918766 also. Nik

Jim Pickering

Aug 17, 2006, 6:41:54 PM8/17/06
Might want to start by reading this link:
http://www.insideoe.com/problems/errors.htm#crash

In general, the messages relate to a corrupted message store folder.
The folders in use message may just indicate that you are *not* working
offline when you attempted the compacting and as a result, it could not
compact since polling for new messages was taking place. Always select
to Work Offline before doing a compacting operation. Post back if you
continue to have problem, but you might want to try connecting to
Windows Update and check that you've installed all updates for your
system marked as "Critical."
--
Jim Pickering
MVP-Outlook Express/Windows Mail

"Nik" <nikl...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

PA Bear

Aug 17, 2006, 6:28:19 PM8/17/06
> My OE version is 6.00.2900.2180 (xpsp_sp2)Recently, in Outlook Express 6,
> several times got messages asking if I wish to compress email folders.
> Responded "No".(Probably a mistake!)

Responding No only stops the "automatic compacting" notice from appearing
again in the future. It does NOT stop "automatic compacting".

> ..Subsequently, upon opening Outlook

> Express 6, saw error message: Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime LibraryRuntime
> Error!Program: C:\Program\Outlook Express\main.exeabnormal program

After responding No to the first message, did you then force OE to close via
Task Manager or shut down the machine?

> In addition, I have lost all files in my Hotmail account.

Lost them in your Hotmail folders in OE, at www.hotmail.com, or both? Are
you missing messages in any of your Local folders (e.g., Inbox)?

> [Spy]Sweeper is not scanning email.

SpySweeper doesn't scan incoming/outgoing messages, Nik.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE, Shell/User, Security), Aumha.org VSOP, DTS-L.org

PA Bear

Aug 17, 2006, 6:28:19 PM8/17/06
> My OE version is 6.00.2900.2180 (xpsp_sp2)Recently, in Outlook Express 6,
> several times got messages asking if I wish to compress email folders.
> Responded "No".(Probably a mistake!)

Responding No only stops the "automatic compacting" notice from appearing

again in the future. It does NOT stop "automatic compacting".

> ..Subsequently, upon opening Outlook

> Express 6, saw error message: Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime LibraryRuntime
> Error!Program: C:\Program\Outlook Express\main.exeabnormal program

After responding No to the first message, did you then force OE to close via

Task Manager or shut down the machine?

> In addition, I have lost all files in my Hotmail account.

Lost them in your Hotmail folders in OE, at www.hotmail.com, or both? Are

you missing messages in any of your Local folders (e.g., Inbox)?

> [Spy]Sweeper is not scanning email.

SpySweeper doesn't scan incoming/outgoing messages, Nik.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE, Shell/User, Security), Aumha.org VSOP, DTS-L.org

Nik

Aug 17, 2006, 9:06:57 PM8/17/06
Response to Robear Dyer (PA Bear): Thank you for your prompt response.

> Responding No only stops the "automatic compacting" notice from appearing
> again in the future. It does NOT stop "automatic compacting".

I understand that there is no automatic compacting in OE with XP SP2.
Strange that I should get that request to compact. I had never manually
compacted.

>After responding No to the first message, did you then force OE to close
>via Task Manager or shut down the machine?

No, I would just click No and go ahead with OE. After responding No several
times when asked (upon opening OE) if I wanted to compact, I started getting
the Runtime error message. When I clicked OK in the error message box, OE
would shutdown. Each time, I restarted the computer and opened OE again. OE
seemed to run properly but when I closed OE then opened it again, I got the
error message again. Each time I have the error message, I click either OK
or the X (to close the error message box ) and OE shuts down. Sometimes, OE
would open without the error message but if I clicked on the InBox, it would
shutdown. Most times, if I restart the computer, I can then open OE and
access mail but I can't close OE and open it again without it shutting down
as soon as I try to do anything with it.

>Lost them in your Hotmail folders in OE, at www.hotmail.com, or both? Are
>you missing messages in any of your Local folders (e.g., Inbox)?

I lost all my messages in Hotmail in OE and in www.hotmail.com. I have been
receiving messages in Hotmail today (8/17/06)

****Here is additional info: The computer with the described problem is
connected via a wireless network to another computer which has my same OE
accounts on it. (I haven't got around to take those accounts off that
computer.) That other computer does not have the error message appear when
OE is opened and reopened but the Hotmail messages are missing on that
computer as well.

Nik

Aug 17, 2006, 9:36:20 PM8/17/06
Jim, thank you for your response.
>Jim Pickering" <ji...@mvps.org> wrote in message

> Might want to start by reading this link:
> http://www.insideoe.com/problems/errors.htm#crash

> In general, the messages relate to a corrupted message store folder. The
> folders in use message may just indicate that you are *not* working
> offline when you attempted the compacting and as a result, it could not
> compact since polling for new messages was taking place. Always select to
> Work Offline before doing a compacting operation.

I followed the procedure for manual compacting in the site you linked (work
offline, close folders, etc.) It looked like compaction took place because I
got a quick glimpse of a horizontal green trace that shot across a box and
there was no error message (that the folders were in use.) I reversed the
procedure so as to restore normal OE operation (opened the folder list,
unchecked Work Offline.) I then clicked on the In Box in OE. OE immediately
shut down. I reopened OE and saw the Runtime error message. Clicked OK in
the error box and OE shutdown again. I restarted the computer and opened OE.
OE is working OK so I can send this message but I'm sure it will shut down
if I close it and then reopen it.

Post back if you
> continue to have problem, but you might want to try connecting to Windows
> Update and check that you've installed all updates for your system marked
> as "Critical."

I have previously downloaded and installed the most recent updates.

Nik

Jim Pickering

Aug 17, 2006, 9:58:23 PM8/17/06
You may need to do the compact operation, while working offline, a few
times, depending upon the degree of corruption of your message store
folder. It's a very good idea to compact regularly, since all
compacting does is recover the space wasted in the database when you
delete messages. If done at least weekly, it's inexpensive insurance to
help keep your stored messages intact. Good luck.

--
Jim Pickering
MVP-Outlook Express/Windows Mail
Please reply to newsgroup only so that others may be helped with your
feedback.

"Nik" <nikl...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Steve Cochran

Aug 18, 2006, 8:09:49 AM8/18/06
Two things:

1. get the newest patch that addresses the compaction issue see
www.oehelp.com/OETips.aspx#2

2. Turn off any anti virus scanning of email and any antispam software See
point 3 on that same page.

If you still get the error after that, then go to File | Identities and set
up a new identity and see if that fixes things.

steve

Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM

Aug 18, 2006, 11:11:15 AM8/18/06
"Nik" <nikl...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Yes, you have both the optional and the critical patch (good for you).

Look in the Recycled Bin for an Inbox.BAK with the date the problem started.
Move it to an empty Windows folder and try either DBXtract or DBXpress
(www.oehelp.com) on it. I would recommend the latter because it's faster
and can also do the nest step.

Use DBXpress in Disk mode (not Recover mode) to find orphaned messages that
still may exist on your hard drive.

Don't store messages in the Inbox. It is the folder most apt to be
corrupted. As soon as you read them move them to user created folders.
Then compact the Inbox regularly.

Go to Tools | Options | Maintenance | Store Folder and write down where OE
is storing its data.
Close OE.
Go there with Windows Explorer and move (not copy) Inbox.dbx to an empty
Windows
folder. With Win2K, WinXP and Win2K3 it will be a hidden file.

You can use either of these tools to extract the messages from the old DBX
file:

DBXtract ($5): http://www.oehelp.com/DBXtract/ although this tool is faster
and better:
DBXpress: ($25) http://www.oehelp.com/DBXpress/Default.aspx
Do NOT extract to the desktop!
With a large file this can take a long time, so let it keep running.

The messages can be dragged from a Windows folder back into an OE folder in
OE's Folder List.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM
http://www.fjsmjs.com

PA Bear

Aug 18, 2006, 1:48:54 PM8/18/06
See what my senior colleagues had to say, Nik.

> ****Here is additional info: The computer with the described problem is
> connected via a wireless network to another computer which has my same OE
> accounts on it

On your machine, open OE: Tools > Options > Maintenance > Store folder
(botton) will reveal the location of your current identity's store (see
http://www.insideoe.com/files/store.htm#storemain). Do NOT attempt to
change it, just tell me this: Is the store located on the other machine?

> I lost all my messages in Hotmail in OE and in www.hotmail.com.

> ...That other computer does not have the error message appear

> when OE is opened and reopened but the Hotmail messages are missing on
> that computer as well.

This leads me to believe that your answer to my question above will be Yes
and I think this is the cause of your problems.
--
~PA Bear