Winmail.dat files

Kas

Jul 24, 2007, 5:10:22 AM7/24/07
I have received and email from a solicitor attaching a file winmail.dat and I
don't have any software that will read it. I have been on the web and there
a number of packages that, apparently, will do this. However, I'm always
wary of running software that I don't know the publisher, especially when it
is free.

Could anyone recommend some suitable software.

Alan

Steve Cochran

Jul 24, 2007, 6:59:34 AM7/24/07
The problem is the sender is using Outlook and its Rich Text Format (RTF).
When that happens, OE users can't interpret the message correctly. As him
to send it again using either plain text or HTML format and you should be
able then to decode any attachments.

steve

"Kas" <K...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Michael Santovec

Jul 24, 2007, 1:31:35 PM7/24/07
See the MS-TNEF WINMAIL.DAT Attachments section of
Decoding Internet Attachments - A Tutorial
http://pages.prodigy.net/michael_santovec/decode.htm#ms-tnef
At the above link is information on several utilities that can be used
to recover the attachment if the sender can't or won't resend it in
plain text (or HTML) mode.

I've personally used Fentun and WMDecode.

Kas

Jul 25, 2007, 12:12:05 PM7/25/07
Steve.

Many thanks for your reply. I did try what you suggested but it didn't
work. I may have done sonething wrong and I had intended to try again but in
the meantime I got a reply from Michael Santovec and when I followed it
through I downloaded some software which did the job. Nevertheless, many
thanks for you time.

Kas

Jul 25, 2007, 12:14:04 PM7/25/07
Many thanks Michael I downloaded the winmail opener program which did the
job very well. Thanks for you effort.

Alan