Re: Outlook Email Headers Not Printing after Upgrading to IE7

PA Bear

Oct 27, 2006, 6:16:15 PM10/27/06
X-post to OE General

>> This does not happen to every email but most.

I gotta tell ya that the above is what's got us all so dumbfounded, Fritz.

> What kind of printer is it?
> HP Laserjets = 4200p, 3330 MFP, Inkjets = Photosmart 2570, Deskjet 5550,
> Xerox commercial printer / copier (large scale machine)

So the headers of HTML messages are not printing when you use any of the
above machines, correct?

Try the following, in order:

1a. Enable "Read all messages in Plain Text" (OE Tools > Options > Read) and
then try printing HTML messages (received as HTML but displayed in Plain
Text).

1b. If you looked in Tools > Options > Read above and found the Plain Text
option was already enabled, /disable/ it and test printing.

2. If no joy: Disable email scanning by your anti-virus application. It
provides no additional protection, it may be causing the problem, and even
Symantec says it's not necessary:

<paste>
Disabling Email Scanning does not leave you unprotected against viruses that
are distributed as email attachments. Norton AntiVirus Auto-Protect scans
incoming files as they are saved to your hard drive, including email and
email attachments. Email Scanning is just another layer on top of this. To
make sure that Auto-Protect is providing the maximum protection, keep
Auto-Protect enabled and run LiveUpdate regularly to ensure that you have
the most recent virus definitions.
</paste>
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/docid/2002111812533106

After disabling email scanning, try printing a few HTML message that arrived
/after/ you disabled the scanning.

3. If still no joy, leave the scanning disabling and create a new identity
(File > Identities > Add new identity). Add one or more of your mail
accounts, receive new HTML messages and test printing again.

Assuming all is well, (a) compact all folders in the old identity, (b)
import messages from the old identity into the new one, and then (c) delete
the old identity (File > Identities > Manage Identities).

To avoid such corruption in the future:

- Don't use Inbox or Sent Items to archive messages. Move them to local
folders created for this purpose.

- Empty Deleted Items folder daily.

- Disable Background Compacting [N/A in SP2] and frequently perform a manual
compact of all OE folders while "working offline". More at
http://www.insideoe.com/files/maintain.htm

- WinXP SP2 only: Do not attempt to close OE via Task Manager or shutdown
your machine if Automatic Compacting is taking place.

- WinXP SP2 only: If your machine is fully up-to-date at Windows Update,
installing the following patch (KB918766) will help to avoid such data loss
in the future:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=86b68a78-f325-4a95-98c2-98af2256ccc3
This patch will be included in the next Cumulative Update for Outlook
Express/WinXP SP2.

- Your anti-virus application's email scanning feature can also cause
corruption. Disable it. It provides no additional protection.
--
~PA Bear (working offline)

Fritz135 wrote:
> No worries - all here now! Appreciate your persistence.
>
> What anti-virus = Trend Micro in previous job, Symantec in this job (same
> laptop)
>
> internet security = whatever comes with Symantec and Windows, nothing
> aftermarket
>
> third-party firewall = none, just the Windows one
>
> anti-spyware = Adaware and Spybot, only run periodically
>
> OE-QuoteFix = not that I am aware of, not sure what it is
>
> What kind of printer is it?
> HP Laserjets = 4200p, 3330 MFP, Inkjets = Photosmart 2570, Deskjet 5550,
> Xerox commercial printer / copier (large scale machine)
>
> Is HP Director installed? = not that I can tell
>
> What emails /doesn't/ this happen on? What do the ones where it
> /does/happen have in common? How are they different from the ones where
> it
> doesn't happen?
>
> Only happens on HTML emails, cannot pinpoint it to a sender, and sometimes
> the same email will print out once without the header and then if I try
> again it works OK, if I go to forward the email so that I can print it out
> with the header it almost always works
>
> "PA Bear" wrote:
>> To keep track of things, it helps immensely if you include all of
>> previous
>> message(s) in your replies to the newsgroup. Thank you.
>>
>> Only a handful of OE users are seeing this behavior, and I do not recall
>> seeing anyone posting about it during beta testing, so I assume all of
>> you
>> have something in common. What anti-virus, internet security,
>> third-party
>> firewall and/or anti-spyware applications do you have installed?
>>
>> Is OE-QuoteFix installed?
>>
>> What kind of printer is it? Is HP Director installed?

>> What emails /doesn't/ this happen on? What do the ones where it /does/
>> happen have in common? How are they different from the ones where it
>> doesn't happen?
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>>
>> Fritz135 wrote:
>>> Bad news - it didn't fix it..... I've uninstalled IE7 again and gone
>>> back
>>> to 6 and it all works fine again. I have spent that much time trying to
>>> get to the bottom of this it is not funny. The fact that it sounds like
>>> others have experienced the same issue makes me think that something
>>> more
>>> dodgy is up.
>> <paste>
>> fritz135 wrote:
>>> Many thanks - I will take a look at these to see if I can sort it out.
>>> have uninstalled it as it is too sporadic. I have had the same issue
>>> every
>>> time I have installed IE 7 through the beta phases and also on different
>>> machines and colleagues at work have had the same problem too.
>>>
>>> Fingers crossed this fixes it for all!

David Walker

Oct 28, 2006, 2:00:02 AM10/28/06
I was involved in a string down below, but found your entry below to be quite
helpful. Before I read it, I did some additional work on this isssue this
evening and had concluded also that it was only HTML (but not all HTML)
messages that this was happening on.

I also imported my e-mail files into Outlook to see if I could print
properly from Outlook, and I had the same problem with the same e-mails. So
I went over to the Outlook Printing Discussion Group and there are a number
of posts there as well on the same issue with Outlook since upgrading to IE7.
I was surprised, as I didn't expect IE7 to affect Outlook as much as Outlook
Express.

Your solution 1a below is working for me temporarily until they fix this
problem.

Thanks.

David Walker

daverommer

Oct 30, 2006, 9:05:02 AM10/30/06

daverommer

Oct 30, 2006, 9:13:01 AM10/30/06
I had much the same problem as Fritz - as soon as I installed IE7, Outlook
2003 stopped printing email headers. (Printer is HP Laserjet 2100TN.)

Your fix 1a solved the problem in a jiffy, PA Bear.......so thanks!

PA Bear

Oct 30, 2006, 5:01:11 PM10/30/06
@ both Daves: YW & thanks for posting back.
--
~PA Bear

PA Bear

Nov 7, 2006, 11:15:36 PM11/7/06
Forwarded from IE General to OE General as an FYI.
--
~PA Bear

phf wrote:
> Our Legal Assistants need to print out e-mails for physical files. E-mail
> to and from our clients are part of the file history. Our hope is to
> eventually be able to drag/drop e-mails into client folders on the
> network,
> however, I think we are a long way from going paperless since the
> USPatent
> Trade Office is still sending us paper copies and attorneys are working
> from the physical paper file. Yes I know it's possible to scan everything
> in, no it's not happening today just because Microsoft stopped a feature.
>
> So for our workflow purposes it's not an option.
>
> Also this happens even when we print to PDF using Acrobat Professional or
> PDF creator.
<snip>

MAS!

Nov 16, 2006, 12:26:02 PM11/16/06
Hello,

Please keep us all updated once a fix available for this problem.

Thanks

"Early Bird" wrote:

> Dear Fritz,
>
> I hully agree to your issue:
> Have the same problem with missing header and need emails printed in HTML
> format - not Text only.
>
> Any workaroud like increasing the left page margin, changing enconding
> settings in IE7 solved the problem only temporarily but not for all emails
> and not forever.
>
> CONCLUSION: The missing header is 100% sure an IE7 printing engine bug that
> needs to be fixed by MS. So don't waste your tme, we need to wait for their
> update !
>

> "fritz135" wrote:
>
> > Apologies for the lack of contact - I cannot use 1a as with a lot of my
> > emails they go backwards and forwards and they end up with different coloured
> > comments in them so this fries all the formatting. I did a complete
> > uninstall and reinstall and a repair in Outlook so we'll see what happens
> > from there. I'll keep you posted. Cheers

Colin Hession Consulting

Nov 24, 2006, 11:04:01 AM11/24/06
You're right - Microsoft would appear to have a major printing problem with
IE7, which is potentially
damaging for small businesses. Not only does it cause OE6 emails to print
without headers - when a picture is attached - and show the message in micro
font at top left, but it also fails to print certain web pages.

Uninstalling IE7 & going back to IE6 does not appear to solve the problem.
Nor does it seem to be printer specific.

So one has to keep switching to Read All Messages in Plain Text, with OE6,
and when researching on the web, use a page capture program instead -
disastrous for productivity in a small office.

When we took this up with Microsoft's 'Help' desk in India, the lady amazed
us by saying that she couldn't replicate the proble because they hadn't got
IE7 installed yet on their central machine ???

If it's any consolation, the whole internet is buzzing with this problem
...wonder when Redmond will get around to fixing it ...

Early Bird

Nov 25, 2006, 12:27:01 PM11/25/06
I have talked to MS-Germany Service Phone today 25-Oct-2006:

They have confirmed our printing issue with Outlook and Outlook Express
related to the IE7 printing engine.

However they felt, the problem would be solved with some workarounds because
customers did not come back a second time with the same issue.

Since such workarounds were already discussed in our newsgroup and worked
only temporary or were not satisfactory at all, MS-Service understood the
situation and looked deeper into it. Then they were also able to reproduce
the missing header issue on their side.

Now they have setup a HOTFIX request and promised to keep me informed.

Hope this gets done soon.

"Early Bird" wrote:

> Dear Fritz,
>
> I fully agree to your issue:

ed...@jayhawkfire.com

Dec 18, 2006, 2:02:06 PM12/18/06
You wrote that MS put out a HOTFIX for this problem. Do you have the
link for this?

PA Bear

Early Bird

Dec 27, 2006, 10:26:01 AM12/27/06
MS emailed me today (Dec-27-2006) that the hofix will appear together with
the regular Windows auto-update in the near future but they could not give me
a certain date.
So all one can do is sit and wait for the auto-update.

PA Bear

Dec 27, 2006, 10:44:33 AM12/27/06
Thanks for the update, Early Bird. I got the same response from the IE team
in Redmond.

This entire thread archived:
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.outlookexpress.general/browse_frm/thread/78cc0313bf9121f6/67e2daf311b0e910

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Early Bird wrote:
> MS emailed me today (Dec-27-2006) that the hofix will appear together with
> the regular Windows auto-update in the near future but they could not give
> me a certain date.
> So all one can do is sit and wait for the auto-update.

<snip>

Scottie D

Jan 12, 2007, 11:25:17 AM1/12/07
Has anyone yet to hear anything back from Microsoft yet? I know the
problem is limited to XP and IE7, my outlook 2007 client on Vista works
great without this issue. I am going to be testing a couple different
sceniro's over the weekend to try to find a fix.

PA Bear

Jan 12, 2007, 7:14:56 PM1/12/07
The IE team hasn't patched or fixed it yet, I'm afraid.

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Michael Santovec

Jan 12, 2007, 7:27:38 PM1/12/07
All I've heard is that Microsoft is aware of the problem and working on
a fix. No estimate as to when that will be available.

Some people have reported that if Tools, Options, Read, Read All
Messages In Plain Text is selected, the headers will print.

"Scottie D" <sdav...@gmail.com> wrote in message

LIRz6

Feb 6, 2007, 11:26:54 AM2/6/07
Folks, I've discovered a temporary "solution" to this terribly
annoying problem that's working for me in OE. This go-around does not
require switching to plain text. I'm running Windows XP and work with
two printers, an Epson and Canon. Headers would not print via either
printer--until I tried the following:

For the OE message you want to print with headers, do not open the
message in a separate OE window. Instead, view the message from the
folder list, in the smaller, bottom window. Click on (to highlight)
the grey info. bar located between the folder list and the message
text. The grey info bar shows To, From, and Subject info., and if you
click on it, it turns blue (to highlight). Then click print.

This works every time for me and is easier than converting to plain
text. Hope it works for you, too.

LIR

Bruce Hagen

Feb 6, 2007, 11:43:17 AM2/6/07
Very interesting. Unfortunately for me, IE7 never gave me that problem, so I
can't test it. I hope some people that do have the printing problem see
this, try it, and post back with their results.
--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP Outlook Express

"LIRz6" <LIRo...@gmail.com> wrote in message