Re: Can't get newsgroups

Michael Santovec

Mar 26, 2006, 6:22:03 PM3/26/06
Do you still have the old computer to check the settings on?

The 480 error means that in OE at Tools, Accounts, News, Properties,
Server, you need to check the option that this server requires me to
logon. You'll also need to fill in the account name and password for
the news server. Check with the news server administrator. If this is
your ISP's news server, the settings may be the same as your ISP logon.

"sy" <syp...@hotmail.com.(donotspam)> wrote in message
> I have a new computer and when I try to get newsgroups I get the error
> message: "480 authorization required." My newsgroup account is set up
> correctly. I can't find anything about 480. Any suggestions?
> --
> syport

Unknown

Oct 1, 2007, 11:56:02 PM10/1/07
I have the same problem and I tried what you said and the log in box. I enter
the same name and password that I use for my email. But it doesn't work. My
email is working great.

PA Bear

Oct 2, 2007, 12:18:24 AM10/2/07
Does clicking on the following link open this newsgroup in OE (using the MS
newsserver)? =>
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Robert Aldwinckle

Oct 2, 2007, 9:56:02 AM10/2/07
"PA Bear" <PABe...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> Does clicking on the following link open this newsgroup in OE (using the MS newsserver)? =>

Web news readers may have to copy that string to their Address bar
or Run... dialog and execute it there. ; )

BTW since none of the NNTP exchange that would produce the symptom
is recorded in the OE troubleshooting log I would suggest using telnet 119
to reproduce the essentials of the problem (in a cmd window).

Also there is no reason why the user's login userid and password would
have to be used to authenticate for their ISP's news server. In fact we don't
even know if either poster is actually trying to do that. Perhaps a better
simulation would be giving them the userid and password to the stationery
newsgroup on the private server? In any case note that you only need
to know the server name to reproduce the 480 Logon Required symptom.

FYI

Robert
---

hangloosehawai...@discussions.microsoft.com

Oct 3, 2007, 1:22:00 AM10/3/07
Yes, it opened up in my newsgroup without any problem. However, I still
cannot get my newsgroups to work. I have enter my password and user name but
the log in dialog box keeps popping up.
Message has been deleted

PA Bear

Oct 3, 2007, 2:59:54 PM10/3/07
Assuming "your newsgroups" are on an ISP-supplied newsserver, contact your
ISP.

Does the behavior persist in a new identity (File > Identities > Add new
identity)?

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.org/

Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM

Oct 3, 2007, 9:38:59 PM10/3/07
"hang_loo...@hawaiiantel.net"
<hang_loo...@hawaiiantel.net@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:548F99E8-8D3E-4965...@microsoft.com...

>I have the same problem and I tried what you said and the log in box. I
>enter
> the same name and password that I use for my email. But it doesn't work.
> My
> email is working great.

What news server are you trying to reach?
If you set up an account for
msnews.microsoft.com
without a checking the logon box does it work?

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM
http://www.fjsmjs.com