"There was an error opening this message" on opening message

Robert S

Sep 26, 2008, 9:31:04 AM9/26/08

When I double click on a message in the preview pane in OE I get: "There was an error opening this message. An Error has occurred". I get the same message if I try to compose a message.

This occurs in all user accounts.

If I try to open the Address Book within OE I get "Unable to open the address book. The Address Book may not be installed properly".

If its of any help this started after I uninstalled Office 2000 and installed Office 2003. The address book is in the correct location according to HKEYCU/Software/Microsoft/WAB/WAB4/Wab file name.

My version of OE is 6.00.2900.5512 (xpsp.080413-2105)

Can anybody help?
--
Robert S <robert.spam....@gmail.com>

--
Robert S <robert.spam....@gmail.com>

Robert S

Sep 26, 2008, 10:30:20 AM9/26/08
This problem started when I upgraded Office 2000 to 2003. It was fixed by a system restore, but recurred when I installed Office 2003. Some links suggest that setting HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\WAB\WAB4 from 1 to 0, but this did not work.

HTH.

--
Robert S <robert.spam....@gmail.com>

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Sep 26, 2008, 2:56:00 PM9/26/08
> This problem started when I upgraded Office 2000 to 2003. It was fixed by
> a system restore...

You should not use System Restore to "fix" such issues! You may need to
Repair or Uninstall/Reinstall Office 2003 before attempting any of the the
following!

NB: Support for Office 2003 SP2 and earlier ended on 17 Sept-08. You must
be running Office 2003 SP3 now!

===================================

. Open Address Book | Tools | Options [if available] | Uncheck/disable the
option to share with Outlook, if found.

> ...Some links

> suggest that setting HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\WAB\WAB4 from 1
> to 0, but this did not work.

Try again:

. IMPORTANT => OE must be closed before proceeding below!

. Do you have this Registry key?...

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\WAB\WAB4

. If not, STOP; If so, is there a DWORD named UseOutlook (NB: no space) and
is its value set to 1 (one)?

. If not, STOP; If so, Address Book is configured to share contacts with
Outlook, even if you don't use it (can happen with the install of Office).
Change the value to 0 (zero) and all should be well. (If that DWORD is not
present, don't create it, and don't alter any other DWORD values.)

Note that any changes (additions, deletions, edits) made while sharing was
enabled will not be available (displayed) in Address Book when sharing is
disabled.

cf. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/191946
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)