Outlook 2000 Contacts folder

1 view

Puddin' Man

Sep 11, 2004, 3:39:57 PM9/11/04
Re: Outlook 2000 Contacts folder

'allo,

I run W2k Pro sp4 / Office 2k on a little desktop at home.
The OS is up-to-date. Outlook 2000 is at 9.0.0.9211 and I
currently use it for internet Email (only).

The Contacts folder is corrupt and cannot be repaired.
Gory details are in thread "Outlook 2000 Contacts folder
dysfunctional" (not recommended reading).

Can anyone explain how I might go about deleting (or
renaming or whatever) the old Contacts folder and
starting a new one from "scratch"?

TIA,
Puddin'

*** Puddin' Man PuddingDotMan at GmailDotCom ***
******************************************************;

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Sep 11, 2004, 4:52:00 PM9/11/04
Gory indeed.
It's a little harder to do this in IMO than in the full version of Outlook
because there aren't the repair options that the full version has.
There are a couple of options, however. I'd try them in this order:

1. Create a new PST file and set it to be the default. After that you might
even able to copy items from the old PST into the new one that you create,
then close the old one one. Here are the detailed steps:
- File menu > Open > Personal Folders file > migrate to the new PST file
location to open it
- Right-click on the root of the new set of folders in the folder pane (View
> Folder List)
- Choose Properties
- Check the "Deliver POP mail" box
- Quit & restart Outlook
- Now you can Close the PST file that you were previously using (R-click on
that pst folder while in Folder View and select "Close <foldername>
Folders"). If you have any information in your former PST that you'd like to
transfer to your new default PST, you can drag and drop from one to the
other before you close the old one.

2. Force IMO to create a new profile by deleting your current one in the
registry. The next time you launch Outlook you will start you off with a
clean PST file. You might then be able to open your old PST file and
retrieve some data from it. To create a new "profile" in IMO, quit Outlook
export (for safety) then delete this key:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows Messaging
Subsystem\Profiles\Microsoft Outlook Internet Settings (Path may vary
somewhat with the operating system)
Restart Outlook. It will create a new profile automatically.

We'll hope for better luck this time. I'm not sure I recognized you were
using IMO before.That would explain a lot of the difficulties we had.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Puddin' Man" <Puddi...@mail.com> wrote in message

Puddin' Man

Sep 12, 2004, 4:15:48 PM9/12/04
My apologies. I should've explained the entire history.

I installed Office 2000 Pro under W2k around 2000.
Outlook installed/config'd as "Corporate or Workgroup".
At that time, I was connecting to an MS Exchange server.
Around 2002 I deleted the MSX profile and re-configured
for 2 POP servers (internet mail).

Help now sez Outlook 2000 9.0.0.2711 "Corporate or Workgroup".

There are currently 5 services set up in my profile:
2 for POP servers
1 for the .pst
1 for Outlook Address Book
1 for Personal Folders

Hopefully some of the info below that you've very nicely
outlined will still be useful.

Thanks,
Puddin'

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Sep 12, 2004, 5:58:08 PM9/12/04
In Corp/Workgroup it's easy to start clean by simply creating a new PST
file, then remove and readd the Personal Folders Service, this time
directing it to the new PST file. Then you can close the old one. Make sure
you restart Outlook between each of these steps.

Or you can just create a new profile from scratch.

--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Puddin' Man" <Puddi...@mail.com> wrote in message

Puddin' Man

Sep 14, 2004, 3:27:06 PM9/14/04
I start (as always) by making a backup copy of the primary
.pst file. Then I copied profile xxx and named it xxx2. Then
OL2K wouldn't load/run, so I deleted xxx2. When I got it
running again, OL2K had destroyed all the settings in both
Inet Email services. I had to rebuild them practically from
scratch. Where are these rascals stored? How can I back
them up?

When OL2K is running, the 'folder list' looks like:

Outlook Today (.pst file spec)
calendar
contacts
<etc>
Personal folders
calendar
contacts
<etc>

The Outlook Today contacts has about 20 entries with
name, Email address, etc. I can see the Email addresses
but they won't come up in the To: field unless I
cut/paste them.

I exported the Outlook Today contacts to a DOS .csv,
then imported it into Personal folders contacts. The
names came up OK, but 95% of the Email addresses
were blank.

Does this suggest anything?

About 80% of the time, when I ask OL2K to perform
a simple operation, it does something quite,
quite, unpredictable.

Thx,
Puddin'

On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 16:58:08 -0500, "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]"

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Sep 14, 2004, 4:51:21 PM9/14/04
You're far better off creating new profiles from scratch, not copying them,
deleting them, etc. Mail account settings cannot be saved reliably, so just
recreate them in a new Profile.
Just create a new profile with a new name. Add your mail accounts. Add the
PST file you backed up as your _only_ PST file. It will become your default
Personal Folders file automatically. Add the Outlook Address Book Service to
your profile. You're done.
You're right. Trying to copy profiles and overwrite PST files will cause
major trouble in Outlook every time. More detailed instructions here:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;195718&Product=out2K

--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Puddin' Man" <Puddi...@mail.com> wrote in message

Puddin' Man

Sep 17, 2004, 1:29:27 PM9/17/04

On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 15:51:21 -0500, "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]"
<rus...@mvps.org> wrote:

>You're far better off creating new profiles from scratch, not copying them,
>deleting them, etc. Mail account settings cannot be saved reliably, so just
>recreate them in a new Profile.
>Just create a new profile with a new name. Add your mail accounts. Add the
>PST file you backed up as your _only_ PST file. It will become your default
>Personal Folders file automatically. Add the Outlook Address Book Service to
>your profile. You're done.

I wish. I followed all instructions. The profile *looks* functional,
but Contacts shows "Email 1, Email 2, <etc>" (no names). Address
Book shows names but is dysfunctional. When I try 'properties' for
an AB entry I get an error about "invalid entryID". This is
approximately the same dysfunctionality I had with the old profile.

The Email address stuff is stored in the .pst file? Do I need
to delete it? If so, how?

Thanx,
Puddin'

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Sep 17, 2004, 6:48:20 PM9/17/04
I see. So when you go into the Contacts Folder in this PST and open an
individual Contact Record, none of the email fields are populated with a
valid, resolved email address?
If so, I suspect that somehow you lost the email addresses in the transition
from Exchange to a PST file and no repair option will bring them back.
Just using a new, clean PST file would be the best option unless you think
you might have a good backup of the PST file.

--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Puddin' Man" <Puddi...@mail.com> wrote in message

Puddin' Man

Sep 17, 2004, 7:27:21 PM9/17/04
On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 17:48:20 -0500, "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]"
<rus...@mvps.org> wrote:

>I see. So when you go into the Contacts Folder in this PST and open an
>individual Contact Record, none of the email fields are populated with a
>valid, resolved email address?

Close. There are about 30 entries. About 28 have no name or
Email (they say "Email 3" and some have phone #). There are
2 entries with name and Email and they (alone) are functional.

>If so, I suspect that somehow you lost the email addresses in the transition
>from Exchange to a PST file

Doesn't fit temporally. About half of originally ~ 70
entries were recorded after I stopped using MSX. Maybe
more.

>and no repair option will bring them back.

That I can live with.

>Just using a new, clean PST file would be the best option unless you think
>you might have a good backup of the PST file.

There's about 60 mb of old messages in the old .pst that I
need to be able to search, etc.

How can I start a new .pst and transfer the old messages
from the old .pst to the new .pst? Without buggering
my presumed new Contacts "folder"?

Thx,
Puddin'

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Sep 18, 2004, 5:16:48 AM9/18/04
-Create a New PST file in the Profile
- Go to Tools > E-mail Accounts > View or change existing e-mail accounts
- Select the PST you just added in the "Deliver New e-mail to the following
location" dropdown (it will most likely appear just below the current
default Personal Folders file) > Finish
- Exit and Restart Outlook
- You can now close the previous default PST (R-click on that pst folder
while in Folder View and select "Close <foldername> Folders"). If you have
any information in your former PST that you'd like to transfer to your new
default PST, you can drag and drop from one to the other before you close
the old one. Just make sure you don't add your Contacts.

--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Puddin' Man" <Puddi...@mail.com> wrote in message

Puddin' Man

Sep 18, 2004, 2:01:21 PM9/18/04
On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 04:16:48 -0500, "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]"
<rus...@mvps.org> wrote:

>-Create a New PST file in the Profile
>- Go to Tools > E-mail Accounts > View or change existing e-mail accounts

I am running Outlook 2000 9.0.0.2711 "Corporate or Workgroup".

"E-mail Accounts" does not appear under Tools.

>- Select the PST you just added in the "Deliver New e-mail to the following
>location" dropdown (it will most likely appear just below the current
>default Personal Folders file)
> Finish

Under Services I see "Deliver New e-mail to the following ...".
I can select the .pst or 'none'. Select 'none'? It'll start a
new one in the directory of it's choice?

>- Exit and Restart Outlook
>- You can now close the previous default PST (R-click on that pst folder
>while in Folder View and select "Close <foldername> Folders"). If you have
>any information in your former PST that you'd like to transfer to your new
>default PST, you can drag and drop from one to the other before you close
>the old one.

The stuff I need is in Inbox and Sent Items. Just drag and drop
these?

>Just make sure you don't add your Contacts.

I'll make sure ... :-)

Cheers,

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Sep 18, 2004, 3:42:23 PM9/18/04
For Corp/Workgroup, here are your steps. Make sure Outlook is closed first:
- Control Panel > Mail applet
- Remove the current Personal Folder service
- Readd the service, directing it to the new PST file location
- Restart Outlook

Once you've started Outlook with its new default PST file, you can then open
the old one and copy the items you want.

--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Puddin' Man" <Puddi...@mail.com> wrote in message

Puddin' Man

Sep 19, 2004, 3:40:17 PM9/19/04
On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 14:42:23 -0500, "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]"
<rus...@mvps.org> wrote:

>For Corp/Workgroup, here are your steps. Make sure Outlook is closed first:
>- Control Panel > Mail applet

OK

>- Remove the current Personal Folder service

OK

>- Readd the service, directing it to the new PST file location

I directed it to a new PST file-spec. It created the
new file.

>- Restart Outlook
>
>Once you've started Outlook with its new default PST file, you can then open
>the old one

Using File -> Open -> PST?

>and copy the items you want.

No. It came up with the old PST as the top-level "folder".
When I try to copy Inbox to Personal Folders it sez ~" ...
can't copy to a sub-folder" or somesuch.

Well, the instructions are less-than-functional for
my system, but I spent hours finagling it and have
recovered many (not all) of my files. About 24 mb
of 34 mb of the old Inbox made it to the new Inbox.

Again, the old PST looked like:

Outlook Today (.pst file spec)
calendar
contacts

sent items

<etc>
Personal folders
calendar
contacts

sent items
<etc>

When I opened the old PST with the new profile, I
-think- I got most of the sent items in "Outlook Today".
But I need the sent items in "Personal folders" and
they were not in evidence. Both are stored in the
old PST. Any ideas how I might recover them?

If any intuitive explanation as to what OL2K does
with hierarchical storage, I am long, long overdue
in encountering it.

Thanks,

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Sep 19, 2004, 4:16:42 PM9/19/04
I'm not quite following what you did. It looks from your description like
you let Outlook create a new PST file by just readding the Personal Folders
Service to the same Profile.
The instructions were first to create a new PST file yourself. Then
remove/readd the Personal Folders Service, expressly directing the Personal
Folders Service to use the new PST file you already created in advance.
Creating a new profile from scratch might be even better so that you can
avoid having the old PST return as your default PST.

--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Puddin' Man" <Puddi...@mail.com> wrote in message

Puddin' Man

Sep 21, 2004, 3:15:55 PM9/21/04
On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 15:16:42 -0500, "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]"
<rus...@mvps.org> wrote:

>I'm not quite following what you did. It looks from your description like
>you let Outlook create a new PST file by just readding the Personal Folders
>Service to the same Profile.

No. I started by creating a new profile per your
instructions.

>The instructions were first to create a new PST file yourself. Then
>remove/readd the Personal Folders Service, expressly directing the Personal
>Folders Service to use the new PST file you already created in advance.
>Creating a new profile from scratch might be even better so that you can
>avoid having the old PST return as your default PST.

I have recently exported "sent items" sub-folders from the
old profile (as PST's) and imported them into the new
profile. I have no idea what OL2K actually did, it rarely
tells me, but I *may* be as close to my objective as I'm
likely to get. :-)

Thanks for your help.

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Sep 21, 2004, 3:47:04 PM9/21/04
Well we'll hope that does it.
For future reference, copying items from one PST to another is a better way
to transfer data--you'll lose less that way.