Does Outlook 2000 work with Vista?

Rojo Habe

Jun 23, 2007, 3:38:51 AM6/23/07
OK, call me cheapskate if you like but I've just shelled out for Vista and
can't quite run to upgrading Office as well. Besides, my clients use Office
2000 so I've never seen any rason to upgrade until now.

Anyway, my problem is this. I've got my nice shiny PC, installed Vista, all
up and running, lovely. I've installed Office 2000, installed all the
updates and patches (manually now; Office update no longer supports O2K),
copied my outlook.pst file across and configured my mail account (IMO).

I can receive mail OK, but when I compose a new message and click Send it
complains that it can't find WAB.DLL. This is because Vista no longer uses
the Windows Address Book. My initial reaction is to copy this file across
from the old machine and see what happens. Am I wasting my time, though?
Am I going to run into countless other problems and should I just save
myself the trouble and upgrade to Office 2007 now?

It's just so damned expensive though. The OEM version's two hundred quid!

Christian Goeller

Jun 23, 2007, 4:36:06 AM6/23/07

Rojo Habe

Jun 23, 2007, 5:39:30 AM6/23/07

"Christian Goeller" <ma...@cs-g.net> wrote in message

Thanks. That sort of seals it for Outlook 2000 then. Trouble is, I've
completely failed to import my contacts and messages into Windows Mail :(

Looks like I'll be shelling out for Office 2007 then.

DL

Jun 23, 2007, 11:39:05 AM6/23/07
You can order MS Office on a US site & have it shipped, much cheaper
Certain sites, eg amazon wont ship Office outside US (excluding military)
owing to restrictions thay have with MS
US version is the same as any other English version

"Rojo Habe" <no...@m.ta> wrote in message

Diane Poremsky

Jun 23, 2007, 12:51:40 PM6/23/07
or just shell out like $25 or so for an application to convert -
http://www.slipstick.com/config/convaddr.htm Address Magic works with both
Outlook and Vista's mail and calendar.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:
dailytips-sub...@lists.outlooktips.net

EMO-NEWSLETTER-S...@PEACH.EASE.LSOFT.COM

"Rojo Habe" <no...@m.ta> wrote in message

> Thanks. That sort of seals it for Outlook 2000 then. Trouble is, I've

Diane Poremsky

Jun 23, 2007, 12:57:02 PM6/23/07
Correction - it's $50 for the version that does mail and contacts. Still
cheaper than Office 2007, although we don't what else might be broken in the
office applications. But since Vista supports PDA sync and has a calendar
app, you could get by with one of the lower priced office suites or the
student/home version if you qualify and don't require the power of outlook.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

EMO-NEWSLETTER-S...@PEACH.EASE.LSOFT.COM

"Diane Poremsky" <outlo...@msn.com> wrote in message

Rojo Habe

Jun 23, 2007, 2:50:08 PM6/23/07

> Correction - it's $50 for the version that does mail and contacts. Still
> cheaper than Office 2007, although we don't what else might be broken in
> the office applications. But since Vista supports PDA sync and has a
> calendar app, you could get by with one of the lower priced office suites
> or the student/home version if you qualify and don't require the power of
> outlook.

Thanks, that's definitely worth a look. Then I coulod keep the Word, Excel
and Access that still work fine for me.
I did look into replacing it all with OpenOffice.org, but I decided that was
too much of a learning curve. A thicky like me couldn't even find a way of
doing Text to columns with the OpenOffice spreadsheet! Anyway, that doesn't
come with a mail client so I'd still be faced with the same problem.

Another option would be to keep Office 2000 and just get Outlook 2007, but
that'd be a lot more than $50 too, and might come with its own problems
integrating with an older version of Office.

Thanks for the tip - I'll let you know how I get on.

Rojo Habe

Jun 23, 2007, 7:04:58 PM6/23/07
Well, I found a way, albeit slightly laborious. I went back to my old
machine and exported all my contacts to a .csv file, which I saved in a
shared folder. I then browsed to this folder from my new machine and
imported them. Email messages required a further step. First I had to
import them all into Outlook Express 6, then find the folder containing all
the .dbx files and copy that to the shared folder. I was then able to
import them into Windows Mail, one folder at a time.

My other user account is going to take longer because I have more mail
folders in that one, but at least it works.

Thank god I decided to go for a completely new machine this time, rather
than upgrade and reformat the old one.

"Rojo Habe" <no...@m.thx> wrote in message

Rojo Habe

Jun 23, 2007, 7:36:25 PM6/23/07

> Well, I found a way, albeit slightly laborious. I went back to my old
> machine and exported all my contacts to a .csv file, which I saved in a
> shared folder. I then browsed to this folder from my new machine and
> imported them. Email messages required a further step. First I had to
> import them all into Outlook Express 6, then find the folder containing
> all the .dbx files and copy that to the shared folder. I was then able to
> import them into Windows Mail, one folder at a time.
>
> My other user account is going to take longer because I have more mail
> folders in that one, but at least it works.

Replying to myself again!
I've just had a D'oh! moment. It's not actually necessary to import the
messages one at a time. Because I've got both machines up and running while
I transfer files between them, I was actually using the wrong keyboard when
I was trying to Ctrl-click on the folders. So, not nearly as time-consuming
as I thought.

Diane Poremsky

Jun 23, 2007, 9:52:50 PM6/23/07
> Another option would be to keep Office 2000 and just get Outlook 2007, but
> that'd be a lot more than $50 too, and might come with its own problems
> integrating with an older version of Office.

it will be about $80 -90 but I would try Vista's applications first. The
calendar is almost identical to the one in outlook 2007, mail and contacts
are fine for most people.

Rojo Habe

Jun 25, 2007, 11:29:43 AM6/25/07
Yep, I'm up and running with Windows Mail. I'll miss the archiving
functions, and the Word automatic spell-checking, but I can live with that.

"Diane Poremsky" <outlo...@msn.com> wrote in message

Diane Poremsky

Jun 25, 2007, 5:14:44 PM6/25/07
the windows live mail client that is in beta does spell check as you type
just like outlook with word. The beta is a bit buggy but I expect the
annoyances will be fixed before it's released. It's scheduled to replace the
Vista Mail client and OE (on XP).

http://get.live.com/betas/maildesktop_betas

I don't think it has archiving, but you can archive using rules (or just
drag messages to a new folder) and there may be some 3rd party tools that
allow it.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

EMO-NEWSLETTER-S...@PEACH.EASE.LSOFT.COM

"Rojo Habe" <no...@m.thx> wrote in message

Rojo Habe

Jun 29, 2007, 6:03:30 PM6/29/07

> the windows live mail client that is in beta does spell check as you type
> just like outlook with word. The beta is a bit buggy but I expect the
> annoyances will be fixed before it's released. It's scheduled to replace
> the Vista Mail client and OE (on XP).

Does it have a British dictionary? This is the biggest flaw so far, and one
which I think is going to damn Windows Mail in favour of me paying for
something decent. See, I've just done a spell check and it's picked up the
word 'favour'. The only language I can find in the Options is a
non-specific 'English'.

I have to say, I'm less and less enamoured with Vista with each passing day.

Mellowed

Jul 3, 2007, 10:25:52 AM7/3/07

"Rojo Habe" <no...@m.ta> wrote in message

Sorry, I just now saw this thread. Hope you haven't shelled out for Office
2007 yet. Office 2000 will operate PERFEFTLY including Outlook if you do
the following.

Use Explorer to navigate to C:\Program Files\Common Files\System
Copy wab32.dll and wab32res.dll to C:\Windows\System32

Diane Poremsky

Jul 3, 2007, 12:13:13 PM7/3/07
Does the address book work?

BTW, you can also make it work if you use Corp/workgroup mode. But being
that it is a 7 yr old, less secure version of Outlook, using vista's mail
and calendar applications is a better option and also "free". Vista's
calendar is quite nice, pretty much identical to Outlook 2007's and much
better than Outlook 2000's.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

EMO-NEWSLETTER-S...@PEACH.EASE.LSOFT.COM

"Mellowed" <nos...@spam.com> wrote in message

Mellowed

Jul 3, 2007, 12:45:23 PM7/3/07

I don't use Outlook 2000 for email, but I just checked it and the address
book works. The Contacts list also works. It seems OK in every respect.

"Diane Poremsky" <outlo...@msn.com> wrote in message

Rojo Habe

Jul 3, 2007, 1:19:57 PM7/3/07

> I don't use Outlook 2000 for email, but I just checked it and the address
> book works. The Contacts list also works. It seems OK in every
> respect.

Unfortunately it didn't work for me :(

I tried all that before I came here. I also get the problem of Outlook
refusing to register itself as the default mail client.

I'm soldiering on with Windows Mail at the moment, although I don't like it
much. Seems pretty much like Outlook Express to me, and it doesn't have a
British spellchecker.

> "Diane Poremsky" <outlo...@msn.com> wrote in message
>> Does the address book work?
>>
>> BTW, you can also make it work if you use Corp/workgroup mode. But being
>> that it is a 7 yr old, less secure version of Outlook, using vista's mail
>> and calendar applications is a better option and also "free". Vista's
>> calendar is quite nice, pretty much identical to Outlook 2007's and much
>> better than Outlook 2000's.

I have to disagree with Diane about the calendar. Yes, it's quite pretty,
but not nearly as flexible. If I wanted to extend an event over several
days I could just drag the right-hand edge into as many days as I liked.
There were loads of different views available. I could set recurrences for
specific days of the week, not just daily or weekly. It was far superior
(although not as pretty).