Create email rule which requires 2 words or phrases to delete

ndillon19

Sep 26, 2006, 2:13:39 PM9/26/06

I'm trying to set up some rules to automatically delete some recurring
spam I receive. I know how to set it up so that it will look for 1
word or another word and then delete the email if it finds either word.
Is there a way to set it up so that it won't delete the email unless it
finds both words?

Thanks,

Nate

--
ndillon19
ndillon19's Profile: http://www.officehelp.in/member.php?userid=4486

Posted from - http://www.officehelp.in

Brian Tillman

Sep 27, 2006, 9:29:32 AM9/27/06
ndillon19 <ndillon1...@NoSpamPleaze.com> wrote:

> I'm trying to set up some rules to automatically delete some recurring
> spam I receive. I know how to set it up so that it will look for 1
> word or another word and then delete the email if it finds either
> word. Is there a way to set it up so that it won't delete the email
> unless it finds both words?

I'm assuming that these two words are separated by some unspecified string
of other characters, otherwise you'd just include them both in a single
phrase.

There's a way to to this with two rules. I've tried it and it works. Let's
assume that the two words you want to filter are "corn" and "pone". Create
one rule that uses the condition "with _specific words_ in the body", with
"corn" as the specific words. The action of that rule should be "assign it
to the _specific_ category, choosing "Corn" as the category. It doesn't
matter if that category exists because you can add it to the Category list.
You can also use one of the existing categories if you wish. That's all
that that rule should do. It will look like this:

Apply this rule after the message arrives
with _corn_ in the body
assign it to the _Corn_ category.

(Note that if you are using Exchange and the category "Corn" is NOT in the
global category list, the rule will become a client-side rule.)

The second rule should use the conditions "with _specific words_ in the
body", specifying "pone" as the specific words, and "assigned to the
_specific_ category" with "Corn" (or whatever category you chose in the
first rule) as the category. The actions should be "delete it" and "stop
processing more rules". This second rule MUST follow the first rule and I
would recommend that it follow it immediately, with no intervening rules.

(Note that this rule, too, will be a client-side rule if you're using
Exchange and the category is not in the global category list.)

The combination of these two rules should delete any message coming in that
contains the string
"corn <anything at all> pone". Keep in mind, though, that because Outlooks
rules work on substrings, these two rules will also delete a message
containing the string "The company popcorn party will be postponed until
next week." You'll have to decide whether a message like that is important
enough to keep. If the two words are unlikely to be substrings of other
words, then the rules should work well.
--
Brian Tillman

le...@datasupport.co.nz

Aug 17, 2014, 11:35:55 PM8/17/14
Here's an example of how to use two rules as one to use AND instead of OR:

http://www.itsupportforum.net/topic/how-to-create-an-outlook-rule-that-uses-and-instead-of-or/

ipp...@gmail.com

May 16, 2018, 2:45:08 AM5/16/18
Hello.

In Outlook 206; you can just open the rules; click on the word used to filter and then add other words

The rules is finally containing .... with 'KEYWORD1' or 'Keyword2' ...